Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2024, 11:39 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckeeTami View Post
These items will no need replacing for a very long time. Saving $300 a month on gasoline

E-Car 23k
2 Specialized E-Bikes $6k
Washing Machine $550
2 wall heaters $400
75 inch flat screen TV $500
Humidifier $200

You had to go and verbalize it. Six months until one of those break.

I'm pretty sure our next purchase will be two new wall ovens, they are acting hinky.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2024, 01:12 PM

24,488 posts, read 10,825,052 times
Quote:
These items will no need replacing for a very long time. Saving $300 a month on gasoline

E-Car 23k
2 Specialized E-Bikes $6k
Washing Machine $550
2 wall heaters $400
75 inch flat screen TV $500
Humidifier $200
And whose electricity are you using?
What do you consider a very long time? A year, two, three? All these items go very unexpectedly.

Old 03-13-2024, 03:36 PM

308 posts, read 211,591 times
TL;DR...
Now I'm even more worried than ever and jealous too....People that can spend $165K,$95k in retirement...
My total income before I lose my job is $34,284...No savings of any kind and a renter in Miami,Fl. and sick like a dog.

My biggest expense is rent($14,400)/year...About half of the current market rate for Miami..My landlady hasn't raised my rent in 17 years of living here.

This year so far,I've experienced a lot of medical expense...reaching my OOP of $2900 last month....plus about $6K of debt incurred in 2023
for when I didn't have supplemental insurance(Long story)

Death will definitely be a relief for me...i just don't see any other solution...

Old 03-13-2024, 03:39 PM

239 posts, read 106,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
You had to go and verbalize it. Six months until one of those break.

I'm pretty sure our next purchase will be two new wall ovens, they are acting hinky.
We've never bought so much in a year in our life I have a good job now so we wanted to get large expenses under wraps before we gear down to retire. He'll take SS in 4.5 yrs.

If you want to go cheaper on a wall oven, maybe consider a Convection Oven. Our convection oven has fulfilled all our needs, it's still running great but is a pain to clean versus a wall oven. It looks disgusting... I can't get all the grease build up off of it, but, it works well.

Old 03-13-2024, 03:42 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times
Quote:
We've never bought so much in a year in our life I have a good job now so we wanted to get large expenses under wraps before we gear down to retire. He'll take SS in 4.5 yrs.

If you want to go cheaper on a wall oven, maybe consider a Convection Oven. Our convection oven has fulfilled all our needs, it's still running great but is a pain to clean versus a wall oven. It looks disgusting... I can't get all the grease build up off of it, but, it works well.
I wouldn't go cheaper, I cook a LOT, plus holidays at our house. It's two ovens and has convection. It's not a biggy, but something I keep in the back of my mind of upcoming expenses.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-13-2024, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNSLPPTSO13 View Post
TL;DR...
Now I'm even more worried than ever and jealous too....People that can spend $165K,$95k in retirement...
My total income before I lose my job is $34,284...No savings of any kind and a renter in Miami,Fl. and sick like a dog.

My biggest expense is rent($14,400)/year...About half of the current market rate for Miami..My landlady hasn't raised my rent in 17 years of living here.

This year so far,I've experienced a lot of medical expense...reaching my OOP of $2900 last month....plus about $6K of debt incurred in 2023

Death will definitely be a relief for me...i just don't see any other solution...
Don't feel bad. We spent a ton this year, yes, but are going to trying to reduce our monthly housing expenses to under $400 a month. Even if means buying a 1400 foot metal barn, sheet rocking it, and living in it. Why? our Social Security is very low AND I only have 78k in my IRA to date. So my goal is to eat mostly chickcen, chicken eggs, and grow most of our food. Sell enough chicks and eggs to cover their costs with a little extra.

You can do it. Think outside the box regarding housing. We plan to let a few folks live on our land for $100 a month. They can use the pond, free WIFI & water included. Hubby will help build a fence for their dogs/chickens/pets. We need to buy a saw mill so we can have endless wood for fencing.

Old 03-13-2024, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
And whose electricity are you using?
What do you consider a very long time? A year, two, three? All these items go very unexpectedly.
What do you mean whose electricity are we using? Our own electricity silly bird DIY Solar & PG&E

None of these items will go out before 10 yrs [except maybe the humidifier, it's on constantly]

Old 03-13-2024, 05:58 PM

24,488 posts, read 10,825,052 times
Quote:
What do you mean whose electricity are we using? Our own electricity silly

They don't go out that fast
Snarky? You depend on electricity. Last winter showed some examples on how that goes. Fine if it works for you. Would not work for our needs and distances.

Old 03-13-2024, 06:00 PM

PG&E gave my husband a new battery for his CPAP. Not sure why but we took it. Neighbor got one too. Check your power company, it was free, no questions asked except to show proof from his Doctor

Old 03-14-2024, 07:12 AM

8,347 posts, read 4,377,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNSLPPTSO13 View Post
TL;DR...

How old are you? If you are older than 55 or 62 (per different criteria for different housing complexes), you qualify for subsidized senior housing, where you pay 1/3 of your income in rent (although you in fact pay close to that already). You have learned that you need full health insurance, so the $6k mistake will not happen again. I am not quite sure what problem you have (except envy) that only death would relieve you from. There are really only four things that are very expensive in the US: 1. kids (but presumably you won't be raising kids in your senior age), 2. nursing home (if it's not covered by Medicaid, but in your case it would be), 3. housing (if it is not subsidized, but you qualify for subsidized housing), and 4. envy (hard to help with that).

I don't spend $165k or $95k per year in retirement (I spend less than a half of the second figure) although I could spend more - but on what? I live fabulously as it is, because I know what I like (and the stuff I like doesn't cost much), while I certainly don't envy people who spend $165k - I consider myself fortunate that I don't have an interest in the more expensive things which they evidently need.

Last edited by elnrgby; 03-14-2024 at 07:21 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement