Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2024, 06:27 AM

2,474 posts, read 2,695,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
I imagine you were.

In my case, there was little in the way of cap gains; I'm a buy & hold guy. I rarely sell, and when I do, it is for tax loss harvesting.
I retired and didn’t want the encumbrance of managing a building any longer. Real estate runs in cycles and it looks like I got out of commercial real estate at the right time. Sometimes buy and hold doesn’t always fit one’s situation well.

In regard to tax loss harvesting, the benefit is derived from being able to balance the losses against gains so the gains end up being tax free. Otherwise the losses just carry forward and you can only use $3000 against earned income.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2024, 07:02 AM

106,602 posts, read 108,757,383 times
tax loss harvesting is a mixed bag .

it kicks the tax can further down the road really just delaying taxes not avoiding taxes .

whatever you buy after selling has the cost basis pointer set at todays cost so any future gains are all taxable .

the old investment that was at a loss has to regain back to first owe taxes .

if the old investment which was down moves up 10% you may not owe tax .

if you sold the old investment and bought a new one and it moves 10% you owe tax

so the best deal going is when one has room in the zero capital gains bracket and can actually avoid taxes. tax gain harvesting is a gift from the tax gods when one can use it.

we delayed selling and kicked the tax can down the road . for the size of the gain the rate jumped from 15 to 23.80% so delaying hurt us

Old 03-10-2024, 07:06 AM

I agree with gain harvesting. Most folks overlook that and then they have a problem down the road.

Capital gains may be tax free up to certain income limits, but if you use ACA healthcare policies, the cap gains count as income. So be careful.

Old 03-10-2024, 07:14 AM

8,346 posts, read 4,377,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
tax loss harvesting is a mixed bag .

it kicks the tax can further down the road really just delaying taxes not avoiding taxes .

whatever you buy after selling has the cost basis pointer set at todays cost so any future gains are all taxable .

the old investment that was at a loss has to regain back to first owe taxes .

if the old investment which was down moves up 10% you may not owe tax .

if you sold the old investment and bought a new one and it moves 10% you owe tax

so the best deal going is when one has room in the zero capital gains bracket and can actually avoid taxes. tax gain harvesting is a gift from the tax gods when one can use it

I have no idea what you folks are talking about, or how it may relate to this topic (ie, annual expenditures). I earned my retirement by practicing my difficult profession, I gave it my all, and now want to comfortably sail into the sunset. I can't imagine dealing with tax gain harvesting (whatever that is) and similar preoccupations even at this active stage of early-ish retirement (age 64), let alone when I get old for real :-).

At the moment, am drinking an interesting variant of green tea while making notes on two books (I always read two different things in parallel), The Mammoth Book of Explorers and one of four semi-popular/semi-professional books on particle physics from our local Cambridge MA Nobel laureate Frank Wilczek. This activity fascinates me, costs nearly nothing (ok, the tea did cost me something at a specialty tea store on Christopher St in NYC, but it couldn't have been much), and both books are free from the library. To each his/her own :-).

Old 03-10-2024, 09:21 AM

1,589 posts, read 1,188,760 times
Our highest unexpected/emergent expense by far has to be purchasing an additional 10ac parcel of undeveloped land next to our current property. The owner had gone into Assisted Living in January, and needed the funds. Knowing the situation, we paid his asking price and kicked in all closing costs. We didn't want to finance it, so it took about 80% of our emergency cash fund away. It will increase our tax load a bit, but as it is adjacent to our existing land and undeveloped, we are able to apply homestead exemptions, so we should be good.

Old 03-10-2024, 02:18 PM

19,802 posts, read 9,345,163 times
Groceries, Car Gas, Recreation, Entertainment, Clothing, Gifts, Miscellaneous*: $14,400
Medicare/Med Supplements, Dental and Co-Pays: $10,800
Utilities, including phone and internet: $6,240
Property Taxes: $4,440
Major Expenses**: $2,000
House Insurance $1,500
Car Insurance: $1,080
TOTAL: $41,060

*Everything that we don't have an automatic deduction or receive a bill

**These are irregular expenses of more than $300, such as getting a new major appliance, but I would say these average a total of about $2,000 per year. If it is less than $200, it is included with the first 'miscellaneous' category.

We have only been retired for about 3 1/2 years, and so far, the only unexpected expense was some major dental work that cost about $2,500 out of pocket (total).

Old 03-10-2024, 06:07 PM

7,492 posts, read 3,227,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
Ya'll are amateurs.

Yay! A contributing member of society!

We all do the best we can. Some people's best is just better than most...

Good fortune Happy Sunday

Old 03-10-2024, 06:38 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,155,036 times
Boy I don’t know if I should be scared or not? Lol. Some of these spending budgets are close to what I spend a year. And I’m still working and in a hcol area. I thought retirement was supposed to be a little cheaper!?

Old 03-10-2024, 07:02 PM

24,488 posts, read 10,825,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Boy I don’t know if I should be scared or not? Lol. Some of these spending budgets are close to what I spend a year. And I’m still working and in a hcol area. I thought retirement was supposed to be a little cheaper!?
Reality check. The downsized house is more expensive and so is everything else.

Old 03-10-2024, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Fallacy. You’ll likely spend more in retirement with more time on your hands, more healthcare issues as you age and the biggie: the realization that if you don’t spend it, someone else will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement