Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2024, 03:14 PM

43,054 posts, read 18,223,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Yes indeed, but I guess I'm just always thinking about the worst happening when I travel.
For me it's always "the plane falling out of the sky". I never considered blood clots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2024, 03:45 PM

6,412 posts, read 3,128,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
For me it's always "the plane falling out of the sky". I never considered blood clots.
I used to do a lot of travelling by car, and my biggest fear was an unexpected car issue, while driving through the "middle of nowhere". On my trips to the beaches of South Carolina, from western New York, in an effort to keep the route as direct as possible, I would exit I-95 while still in North Carolina, then head diagonally across the state, going southeast on local, rural roads. These roads were through "farm country", and there were a couple of stretches where I wouldn't see any sign of civilization for 15-20 minutes at a time.

Blood clots never crossed my mind.....

Old 03-21-2024, 03:54 PM

17,349 posts, read 16,485,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by considerforamoment View Post
Why isn't this common knowledge, I wonder.

What is the percentage of people who get this? Is it a hazard for everyone or people with pre-existing conditions?

Guess I'll ask google:

https://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/dvt/travel.html#:~:text=Even%20if%20you%20travel%20a,o ther%20risks%20for%20blood%20clots.

Per the CDC: It's a very small percentage of people who get DVT.
Aren't embolisms from blood clots? Are those caused by DVTs?

Old 03-21-2024, 03:54 PM

22,564 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Quote:
How do blood clots work? I don't know.

Do they mysteriously appear in otherwise healthy old people due to sitting one time for a few hours? If so, there should be warnings that this is the case because I was not aware of this hazard.
Anyone can get them, not just "old people".
https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...s/syc-20352557

Old 03-21-2024, 04:25 PM

11,103 posts, read 9,744,154 times
Quote:
At 92 and even 80, I'd be concerned of getting blood clots in my legs while sitting in an airliner for an extensive amount of time and also having some type of medical emergency while in a foreign country.
You can wear compression stockings to help prevent clots while flying. Also anyone who's had one is probably going to be on blood thinners after that.

I've gotten 2 DVTs from the fact that I have venous insufficiency in the leg that I had surgery on when I broke my femur. Venous insufficiency can be caused by severe leg injury or surgery. DVTs are common with venous insufficiency, so they put me on a blood thinner for that reason. You actually get a lot of exercise in between flights just walking around the airports. Some gates are more than 1/2 mile between them. I purposely exercise between flights, and I get up at least every 2 hours and stretch and walk the aisle on the plane for a few minutes, and pump my ankles up and down while sitting in my seat.

Old 03-21-2024, 04:32 PM

1,197 posts, read 527,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Anyone can get them, not just "old people".
https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...s/syc-20352557
I know but it was being portrayed on this thread that old people sitting for a long time are more at risk - and the CDC says one risk is old age, so it must be more prevalent in old people.

Old 03-21-2024, 04:46 PM

17,338 posts, read 11,262,503 times
Quote:
I know but it was being portrayed on this thread that old people sitting for a long time are more at risk - and the CDC says one risk is old age, so it must be more prevalent in old people.
I didn't mean to start a panic and regret bringing it up. I always thought the older you get, the more likely it is that blood clots may happen from sitting too long without moving. I'm certain the chances are pretty slim but I would think a 92 year old has a greater risk than a 50 year old, but I'm not a doctor and don't know.

Old 03-21-2024, 05:47 PM

7,322 posts, read 6,919,546 times
I am looking forward to my passing.
I am not suicidal, but I look forward to heaven. really.
When God is done with me here, I'm ready to go.

Old 03-21-2024, 05:56 PM

43,054 posts, read 18,223,725 times
Quote:
I didn't mean to start a panic and regret bringing it up. I always thought the older you get, the more likely it is that blood clots may happen from sitting too long without moving. I'm certain the chances are pretty slim but I would think a 92 year old has a greater risk than a 50 year old, but I'm not a doctor and don't know.
lol..you changed the "focus" and now we're all gonna be scared of blot clot death if we sit down !!!

We now have to boycott chairs if we wanna live

Sometimes these threads take on a life of their own and it can be quite funny when you read the current post and then the thread title again.

Old 03-21-2024, 06:17 PM

17,338 posts, read 11,262,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
lol..you changed the "focus" and now we're all gonna be scared of blot clot death if we sit down !!!

We now have to boycott chairs if we wanna live

Sometimes these threads take on a life of their own and it can be quite funny when you read the current post and then the thread title again.
My bad. It was because of my response to a post about a 92 year old planning a very long flight from Australia to Europe. Perhaps the mod would consider deleting all of it.

Last edited by marino760; 03-21-2024 at 06:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement