Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2024, 08:25 AM

7,741 posts, read 3,778,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Public housing has huge waiting lists.
At the same time, most all of those on the waiting lists currently have a roof over their head - few are homeless. That speaks volumes.

A big issue is there is no time limit on public housing - people get in and stay. And stay. And stay. And stay. They have no incentive to leave, and every incentive to stay. There should be a reasonable time limit - you get in, get your financial affairs in order, then get out and stand on your own two feet.

Quote:
If you aren't working here, or have some private way to support yourself, you're going to end up homeless and hungry.
And yet there is no starvation. It isn't Gaza.

Quote:
If I were truly hit hard times, I'd like for the system to be there for me. It probably won't be. I'm fine with paying taxes to take care of the truly disabled or to give people help temporarily. I want to see value for my tax dollars, and I don't want to be paying taxes for able-bodied people to live off the dole or whatever...
I think that describes most of us.

Quote:
...but that's so small these days, at least where I am, that it's pretty insignificant.
There are no current comprehensive nationwide statistics or dollar figures quantifying the precise prevalence and costs of fraud across all public housing programs in the U.S. Estimates vary, but some studies have suggested tenant fraud may account for around 5% of total public housing and voucher program costs annually. Common types of fraud include unreported income, unauthorized occupants, false documents, and subletting subsidized units. In 2021, HUD's Office of Inspector General reported obtaining $87.9 million in recoveries and receivables from investigations into rental assistance fraud.

When it comes to Supplemental Security Income (SSI), once again there are no comprehensive statistics on fraud. Estimates are in the 5% to 7% range. In fiscal year 2022, the SSA OIG reported over $400 million in Investigative Actions related to fraud, waste and abuse across SSA's disability programs, which include SSI. Common types of SSI fraud include concealing work activity, living arrangements that affect eligibility, and financial account balances over the resource limits.

Etc.

Last edited by moguldreamer; 04-11-2024 at 09:02 AM..

Old 04-11-2024, 08:46 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Quote:
Yep.

I watch a lot of cooking and dog videos. Guess what - I get more cooking and dog videos.
Hey! That's MY feed. Plus gardening, houseplants, and a bunch of science and news stuff... goats....
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-11-2024, 08:51 AM

735 posts, read 406,849 times
every generation has beef with the other. do you honestly want to be noticed by this generation of clowns. no thanks!

Old 04-11-2024, 08:52 AM

11,103 posts, read 9,744,154 times
I get a lot of goats and "animal friendship" videos, like horses who make friends with a cat and let them sleep on their back, etc. LOL

I think it varies pretty widely from state to state, and even city to city, what types of assistance are available. Some cities are doing experiments with "basic income" projects where they just give people cash. Some use it wisely, others...well you can imagine. One of our posters once listed the long list of assistance they received ranging from free cell phones to free senior transit passes, EBT, food banks, utility assistance checks, low income electrical rates, lifeline phone service, and so on.

I find invisibility varies depending on just how different you appear than those around you and how "able" you appear. I color my mostly grey hair light brown with highlights, and have very few wrinkles for my age ("fluffiness" has at least one perk I guess), and appear very "sturdy", so people don't usually give me their seat on the bus, or help me get my suitcase into the overhead bin, yet my slimmer same age white-haired cohorts are perceived as "elderly" and needing of special attention. I do notice that young people are often not paying any attention to anyone other than themselves and their companions as if EVERYONE ELSE is invisible.

Last edited by TheShadow; 04-11-2024 at 09:06 AM..

Old 04-11-2024, 08:58 AM

7,066 posts, read 4,510,340 times
If you’re young and in public housing you should definitely be looking to improve and move on. If you’re a senior your working years are likely over and you’re staying until you die.

Old 04-11-2024, 10:34 AM

12,833 posts, read 9,029,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
"We’re Old, Retired—and Apparently Invisible
In recent years, it seems that young people don’t even see us. Are we imagining things?"

Or at a restaurant, where the server spends his time chatting with and taking drink orders from tables with younger adults, but mostly ignoring the retirees attempt to order drinks, order food, or even get the bill.

Retired. Too old to be relevant. Too old to be seen.

Have you experienced this? Do you sometimes feel invisible?
I occasionally feel that at restaurants. Though I wonder if they think there's a bigger bill coming from the younger group. IE They'll order the appetizers (or two or three), several mixed drinks (which each cost as much as an entre), then the meals, and finally desert. Whereas we're sitting there, probably not going to order the appetizer or if we do, share between all of us. Then the only drinks will be water and iced tea, with perhaps one or two ordering a glass of wine. Entre. Probably no desert or one to share at most. The bill at our table will be half or less than the bill at their table.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Btw, I guess this might be fairly normal, though, as when I was young, I simply did not LIKE the old people I knew and I assumed (yeah) that we would have nothing to talk about and that anything they had to say would not interest me -- and I certainly do see that same attitude in many under-45 people who post here, with some notable exceptions.
I enjoyed listening to the older folks back then. The stories of their life were so good. Even at work I always wanted to learn what they knew. In my field they knew how to think; how to solve problems. They started in an era of the slide rule. Too many of the younger folks now don't know how to solve a problem. If it doesn't come out of the computer, it can't be done.

To the OP's question, where I really saw this was at work, before I retired. Once I hit 57, I became invisible. No more promotions; no more good projects; shuffled off to the side to work on meaningless trivia. Those last few years were miserable; invisible to everyone.

Old 04-11-2024, 10:37 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
I find invisibility varies depending on just how different you appear than those around you and how "able" you appear. I color my mostly grey hair light brown with highlights, and have very few wrinkles for my age ("fluffiness" has at least one perk I guess), and appear very "sturdy", so people don't usually give me their seat on the bus, or help me get my suitcase into the overhead bin, yet my slimmer same age white-haired cohorts are perceived as "elderly" and needing of special attention. I do notice that young people are often not paying any attention to anyone other than themselves and their companions as if EVERYONE ELSE is invisible.
Probably a lot of truth in that. In retail I get to see a lot of ID. Surprising to see some of the ages of some 'elderly' people. I feel like how they are perceived by others likely has as much or more to do with behavior, and to a lesser extent with looks.

On the flip side of the argument, I find that I sometimes have to remind my manager that I am currently ten years beyond the age other employees were when they were cut some slack because they were 'older' and not as physically capable of doing some things as easily as younger employees. I like your use of the word sturdy. I believe that's why I am somehow still expected to be physically capable at my age, when others who were younger didn't have those same expectations.

Old 04-11-2024, 12:05 PM

13,285 posts, read 8,442,400 times
Approximately 15 years ago I stepped back and saw life thru my parents eyes. My Mom had become wheelchair bound and her health took a front seat. Her age was showing.

We sat at family gatherings and while she was a social person, filled with stories or curiosity for how others were, Most bumped into her chair, scooted away with an Opps sorry! and moved on to "their click " of kin.

This would continue in other environments- at church we sat near the back so as not to block areas, Or when out to a restaurant it was notorious with - can you folks please move to the back!

Now as I go alone to family gatherings or even out in public its my sons' generation ( 30- 40 yr olds) that congregate and I stand back as they all shoot the breeze. Any interjection I make is met with a strange look of who are you and why are you near our "circle" . I slowly sense the "indifference" or the shelf life slowly being pushed to the back of social interaction.

Ironically in my work place I find the teens to be more receptive to my existance and even somewhat respecting in tone when I need to interact. They surprised my being recently when I got a "polite" exchange of please and thank you .

For the most part I tend to still come from a dynamic of recognizing people, acknowledging them and even joking to lighten the mood. People deserve to be seen, heard and sometimes a simple smile can do that. Kindness cost nothing- spread it when you can.
'

Old 04-11-2024, 12:17 PM

7,741 posts, read 3,778,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
If you’re young and in public housing you should definitely be looking to improve and move on.

Old 04-11-2024, 12:19 PM

768 posts, read 858,141 times
What is the point of this? If you are invisible, that could be on you. There are definitely young people that think anyone over 60 knows absolutely nothing. We all know differently. No one wants our opinion...so what. I find being able to do what I like without a lot of idle chit-chat with those I don't know and frankly don't care about, to be a good thing. I do find that children who's parents are still alive at an older age to be fortunate as mine didn't make it past 57. As an older parent, of older children, I find them just as thoughtless and narcissistic as they were as young adults.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement