Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2024, 10:47 PM

17,210 posts, read 57,041,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
No, I do not wear heels. And yes, I am 6 feet and one half inch tall, which is not common for females. High heels are sooo bad for your back according to the pt I had when I fell on some stairs about 8 years ago.

Not sure what your father's eye for women has to do with my health and comfort lol. Running shoes for me.
Well you don't need the heels. But you can wear some sort of sexy shoes at least occasionally, and I think you should do that.

I do wonder how women walk in heels though. I visited San Francisco awhile back and wanted to see if I could find a pair of men's size 10 heels to try on. I would halfway expect to pitch over and do a face plant.
As the guys said in "Some like it Hot" - "Their center of gravity is in a different place!"

Old 04-12-2024, 11:13 PM

88,512 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Well you don't need the heels. But you can wear some sort of sexy shoes at least occasionally, and I think you should do that.

I do wonder how women walk in heels though. I visited San Francisco awhile back and wanted to see if I could find a pair of men's size 10 heels to try on. I would halfway expect to pitch over and do a face plant.
As the guys said in "Some like it Hot" - "Their center of gravity is in a different place!"
I do have a nice pair of flat, pretty shoes that lace around the ankle that I wear if I have to dress up. I am going to a fancy business dinner in NYC tomorrow night, in fact, and I will wear them then. They are good shoes, too, well made, so they look nice and are fairly comfortable besides, which is a winning combination.

Old 04-13-2024, 06:04 AM

8,757 posts, read 9,459,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
That really hasn't been our experience... at all.

Nore mine either, though sometimes I do with they would ignore me no matter the age. Only place my wish is granted is often here on CD.

Old 04-13-2024, 08:46 AM

21,909 posts, read 9,483,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
"We’re Old, Retired—and Apparently Invisible
In recent years, it seems that young people don’t even see us. Are we imagining things?"

The above is the title of a recent first-person article written by a pair of 60-something retirees. They recount stories of being in hostels, in restaurants, at art galleries, volunteer events, etc - and the common thread is that younger adults won't engage - no eye contact, no one looking up, etc.

They continue at another event:

Or at a restaurant, where the server spends his time chatting with and taking drink orders from tables with younger adults, but mostly ignoring the retirees attempt to order drinks, order food, or even get the bill.

Retired. Too old to be relevant. Too old to be seen.

Have you experienced this? Do you sometimes feel invisible?
I think this is more about young people and how they grew up than it is about old people. They don't learn proper social skills anymore and have their heads buried in their phones.

Old 04-13-2024, 09:04 PM

18,047 posts, read 15,639,191 times
Not very often, though an older couple (at least older than me) moved into the house across the street 9 years ago, and they have never once said "hello" or even looked at me when I've been at the end of my long driveway getting my mail. I've looked at them and even said hello. Nothing. Never introduced themselves, absolutely ignore, won't look up. I don't see them socialize or talk to any other neighbor, either. It really is like being invisible.

The husband came over to my property several years ago, when I had tree trimmers working, and, ignoring me, he went straight to the tree boss guy at my house, and had him come over to his house right then and there to evaluate some trees he wanted trimmed, and half the crew went and worked on the neighbor's trees then, abandoning mine. I was furious about that, but I didn't say anything to the neighbor, as I didn't want to start something. I did say something to the boss of the crew, though. In the future, I will confront the neighbor if he attempts anything like that again, and I will insist any service company doing work at my house not leave my property to work on someone else's until my job is completely finished.

Old 04-14-2024, 08:06 AM

11,103 posts, read 9,744,154 times
I just came upon this article today talking about becoming invisible with age. It describes the feeling perfectly.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/reti...8906a42&ei=167

... "We’re invisible,” Steve whispered in the hallway. In our room, we plopped on the bed and laughed. “Nobody even acknowledged our existence,” I said. “We’re too old to see.”

We had noticed a growing feeling of being unseen before, but nothing like this. The episode inspired our secret code words for similar incidents. “We’re invisible,” one of us whispers, and we smile wryly as we recall our hostel encounter." ...

Old 04-14-2024, 08:18 AM

7,179 posts, read 9,306,900 times
"When ya ain't got nothin', you got nothin' to lose

You're invisible now, ya got no secrets to conceal"

Bob Dylan, Like a Rolling Stone

Old 04-14-2024, 08:25 AM

19,609 posts, read 12,206,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
Not very often, though an older couple (at least older than me) moved into the house across the street 9 years ago, and they have never once said "hello" or even looked at me when I've been at the end of my long driveway getting my mail. I've looked at them and even said hello. Nothing. Never introduced themselves, absolutely ignore, won't look up. I don't see them socialize or talk to any other neighbor, either. It really is like being invisible.

The husband came over to my property several years ago, when I had tree trimmers working, and, ignoring me, he went straight to the tree boss guy at my house, and had him come over to his house right then and there to evaluate some trees he wanted trimmed, and half the crew went and worked on the neighbor's trees then, abandoning mine. I was furious about that, but I didn't say anything to the neighbor, as I didn't want to start something. I did say something to the boss of the crew, though. In the future, I will confront the neighbor if he attempts anything like that again, and I will insist any service company doing work at my house not leave my property to work on someone else's until my job is completely finished.
That's terrible. Something like that happened to me but the opposite. Neighbor would not talk about dead tree, kept hiding, sent tree guy over who just gave me a dirty look and walked away. Dead tree still there. Any issues with fences or trees on property lines, they run away or just do what they want without talking. The opposite of what I experienced growing up when people got together and did things as decent humans and neighbors. I know that still exists but it can't just be expected anymore.

It does no good to shun your neighbor for no reason, you never know what can happen that you would need a good neighbor to help you out.

As far as dealing with contractors, there's also no honor there anymore. Your tree trimmer was greedily trying to get more business when he already had yours, and the neighbor took advantage. It's offensive, you were the paying customer and deserved none of that.

Old 04-14-2024, 08:27 AM

7,744 posts, read 3,778,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
"Danger Will Robinson! Danger!"

The 400# failed to launch son is enough that I would be taking a hike!
Back when I was in my teens (and swam competitively in high school & college) I also was a lifeguard & water safety instructor.

One of the things we taught regarding rescuing a person in distress in the water is they will absolutely grab onto you for dear life and you both will sink - once they have grabbed you, you will not be able to break free to actually rescue them. As a lifeguard, you must control the rescue attempt. That's why you have a solid flotation device such as a life preserver - you swim out in the ocean (or pool) and get near them and hand toss them the life preserver to cling on to, and then tow them back to safety.

The analogy for romantic relationships/marriages/life partnerships should be obvious to all (even though love is blind).

Old 04-14-2024, 08:34 AM

7,744 posts, read 3,778,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
I just came upon this article today talking about becoming invisible with age. It describes the feeling perfectly.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/reti...8906a42&ei=167

... "We’re invisible,” Steve whispered in the hallway. In our room, we plopped on the bed and laughed. “Nobody even acknowledged our existence,” I said. “We’re too old to see.”

We had noticed a growing feeling of being unseen before, but nothing like this. The episode inspired our secret code words for similar incidents. “We’re invisible,” one of us whispers, and we smile wryly as we recall our hostel encounter." ...
That's the same article I read (although I read it in the WSJ and it was behind a paywall - I don't post WSJ articles anymore since I got a time-out for it).

From the article, one thing pops out to me:
Sometimes the feeling isn’t so much invisibility as irrelevance. I was with some younger gal pals recently, standing in a tight circle drinking coffee at an event. My friends chattered about their insanely busy workweeks, asking each other how they balance their professional lives with raising children and volunteer work.

Nobody turned to me. I had decades of that frenetic pace. I did it; I survived. Perhaps I might have had a few tips to share? Nope, I thought silently. I’m retired. Too old to be relevant. Unseen.

I think some of the onus is on the author to speak up and force herself into the conversation.

And, to be fair, our experience as 60- and 70- somethings might be obsolete to 30- and 40- somethings, especially where technology is involved. Examples include tactics of finding a new job or finding a new boyfriend/girlfriend - but our accumulated wisdom still bears on bigger picture elements such as overall career goals & relationship goals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement