Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2024, 02:06 PM

19,798 posts, read 9,336,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Probably a lot of truth in that. In retail I get to see a lot of ID. Surprising to see some of the ages of some 'elderly' people. I feel like how they are perceived by others likely has as much or more to do with behavior, and to a lesser extent with looks.

On the flip side of the argument, I find that I sometimes have to remind my manager that I am currently ten years beyond the age other employees were when they were cut some slack because they were 'older' and not as physically capable of doing some things as easily as younger employees. I like your use of the word sturdy. I believe that's why I am somehow still expected to be physically capable at my age, when others who were younger didn't have those same expectations.
Very true about "sturdy" seniors vs. frail seniors. I certainly look my age now (70), but I walk at a very fast pace and I have a "no nonsense", non-hesitant, direct (but polite and friendly) approach to errands and "service people", so I have never even once been treated as an old lady, and I think I would be insulted if someone did treat me that way.

Old 04-11-2024, 03:11 PM

19,603 posts, read 12,206,783 times
It depends on the environment as well. If there are groups of same age people hanging out I'm gonna stick with my group.

If it is hobby related age shouldn't matter since the subject matter is the hobby, maybe the older folks have more knowledge and experience and can help those just starting out, or who might benefit from someone else's experience.

I was still a teenager when I went to work at a large company with a group that included people of several generations. I absolutely loved the older ladies, they didn't take things too seriously, and were so funny and helpful. They brought in home made treats too. Of course I hung out with my age peers but no way we were going to ignore these "grandma" ladies who were really wonderful. Only ones who ignored them were the older men. Go figure.

Old 04-11-2024, 03:59 PM

11,103 posts, read 9,744,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
I occasionally feel that at restaurants. Though I wonder if they think there's a bigger bill coming from the younger group. IE They'll order the appetizers (or two or three), several mixed drinks (which each cost as much as an entre), then the meals, and finally desert. Whereas we're sitting there, probably not going to order the appetizer or if we do, share between all of us. Then the only drinks will be water and iced tea, with perhaps one or two ordering a glass of wine. Entre. Probably no desert or one to share at most. The bill at our table will be half or less than the bill at their table.
This is pretty much the opposite of what we order. When I was young (20s to 30s) I was broke most of the time so I ordered the cheapest items on the menu, sometimes my friend and I would order salads and split an entree, or just order a large appetizer platter and split that instead of an entree, and usually had a domestic draft beer. Now that I'm older, I actually order exactly what I want, price is not an issue, usually 2 glasses of wine, or maybe a margarita or two, and my DH orders an appetizer, entree, sometimes a second entree or sandwich to go, and a dessert. They're going to make a lot more off me now then back in my "salad days".

Old 04-11-2024, 05:14 PM

17,349 posts, read 16,485,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
The bottom line is that most people need to make more money. The cost of living is becoming out of control.

I spent about $200 at Sam's Club today between gas and store purchases. $40 on cat food and litter. $12 for some roast beef for sandwiches. $10 for skirt steak for tonight's tacos. Some frozen ready-to-eat grilled teriyaki chicken breasts if I want a snack. Fabric softener. Raspberries. Mt. Dew. $13 worth of beer. I did buy a pair of $25 sandals I'll make use of hiking and walking outside this summer. $20 or so on gas.

Sure, I guess the Dave Ramsey people would say ditch the cats, eat beans and rice only, no beer, no fabric softener, eat the cheapest canned veggies/fruits you can find, etc., but that's not realistic for most people. My spending today was typical spending on mostly essentials and needed consumables.

I used to go to the same Jersey Mike's sub shop for lunch three or four times a week. I remember the lunch combo being a little under $7 in the late 2000s. That's now about $15.

I used to put a "cap" on a work lunch - sandwich shop type place with water - of about $10. Today, even with water, a sandwich and chip can be $15 alone.

I went to Sam's and Walmart around noon today. I stopped at Buffalo Wild Wings because it was on the way. Ten boneless wings, fries, and a soda were about $16 with tax and tip. That's with the lunch special. If I go to a local sit-down restaurant at lunch, $20 for the meal, soda/tea, and tip is pretty standard now.

I rubbed the skirt steak down in some W sauce, seasoned it up, and juiced half a lime on it. Marinated it in the fridge for an hour before throwing it on the grill. Chopped up some green onions and cilantro, then toasted the tortillas on low heat on the grill. I'm going to grill some sausage on the Traeger for breakfast tomorrow if it's not raining, air fryer grill if it is. Sautéed shrimp and corn on the cob for lunch. I have a couple of large, bone-in pork chops to smoke if I can before Friday night, when my girlfriend gets here.

If you have an 8-5 with hungry kids, especially as a single parent, you probably don't have the time to prepare scratch meals like this. I work from home with a cushy job. Of course my situation doesn't reflect the norm.

Imagine if you're a single senior without a paid for home in a high property tax state with a $1,200/month SS check and not much in the way of other savings. You're SOL.
Eh, we've all been there done that. In fact, we still have one in college so I know all about food bills and all the other expenses associated with raising kids.

When it's just my husband and me our grocery run fits into one or two bags each week. We rarely eat out and cook mostly from scratch at home. When our kids come home - oh, goodness - don't even ask me how much I spend at the store. And don't ask me how much it used to cost us to cover teen boys' car insurance, now that's enough to make your eyes glaze over, I get it. Add in the cars when you have 4 drivers in your house....oh, and don't forget the orthodontist!

It's never been easy. We're feeling the pinch now like everyone else is but over the years we've learned to economize and figure things out. You just do.

Back when my husband and I both worked 60 hours a week we cooked all of our meals at home. We very rarely ate out. Now people want to eat out at least 3 times a week - I have never done that in my life and I don't see me doing it. I do my own nails and dye my own hair. My husband works on the cars. We do our own yard and housework. It's the way we've always done things.

^We will have a paid off house in retirement thank goodness!

Old 04-11-2024, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
The thing about tik tok is..... the algorithm gives you what YOU are looking for and liking.

My tik tok feed has nothing like that.
I'm not even on TikTok. I will occasionally get directed to a viral video, though.

Old 04-11-2024, 06:18 PM

7,479 posts, read 3,219,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
i spent most of my life growing up trying to be invisible, so i actually am comfortable with it. personally i don't like getting a lot of attention, never have.

it is funny though, tiny little old lady me with grey hair, when any of my adult sons visit me and we walk around anywhere stores, go out to eat, go shopping, there is a whole different level and quality of attention that suddenly floods in. people smile, ask how can we help you, what can we help you find, and of course the heads turn and the ladies gaze. At my son, not at me, but it is a startling contrast to my usual gliding through daily life un-noticed.

Men have more status. Nothing new about that.

Old 04-11-2024, 06:20 PM

7,479 posts, read 3,219,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
Eh, we've all been there done that. In fact, we still have one in college so I know all about food bills and all the other expenses associated with raising kids.

When it's just my husband and me our grocery run fits into one or two bags each week. We rarely eat out and cook mostly from scratch at home. When our kids come home - oh, goodness - don't even ask me how much I spend at the store. And don't ask me how much it used to cost us to cover teen boys' car insurance, now that's enough to make your eyes glaze over, I get it. Add in the cars when you have 4 drivers in your house....oh, and don't forget the orthodontist!

It's never been easy. We're feeling the pinch now like everyone else is but over the years we've learned to economize and figure things out. You just do.

Back when my husband and I both worked 60 hours a week we cooked all of our meals at home. We very rarely ate out. Now people want to eat out at least 3 times a week - I have never done that in my life and I don't see me doing it. I do my own nails and dye my own hair. My husband works on the cars. We do our own yard and housework. It's the way we've always done things.

^We will have a paid off house in retirement thank goodness!

A wise man told me to keep cleaning your own toilets because it keeps you humble.

Old 04-11-2024, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
A wise man told me to keep cleaning your own toilets because it keeps you humble.
Haha. I plan to I just want fewer to clean.

Old 04-12-2024, 03:47 AM

1,554 posts, read 1,045,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Very true about "sturdy" seniors vs. frail seniors. I certainly look my age now (70), but I walk at a very fast pace and I have a "no nonsense", non-hesitant, direct (but polite and friendly) approach to errands and "service people", so I have never even once been treated as an old lady, and I think I would be insulted if someone did treat me that way.
This describes me at 80. While I appear younger, it's as much how I move and present myself as how I look.

I regularly attend exercise and yoga classes which helps with balance, flexibility and ease of movement.

I may be old but I try to avoid " little old lady " stereotypical behavior.

Old 04-12-2024, 04:20 AM

2,290 posts, read 1,511,895 times
I am not sure how I feel about not being invisible on public transport. We have got to the age where young people (to be honest mostly those of Asian background) will leap to their feet and offer us a seat. Of course, very commendable but makes us feel old.

Same type of things happen when taking nine year old grandson home. People stop their cars for us to cross the street even when they don’t have to.

We don’t have the issue with service in restaurants here. The service everywhere is pretty ordinary, regardless of your age. The downside of a low or no tipping culture! Generally the waitperson stands there and asks who has ordered this pasta, coffee or whatever. And plonks it down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement