Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2015, 09:21 AM

1,549 posts, read 3,056,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Tony Bennett comes to Asheville often; have seen him a few times at The Biltmore Estate concert series. It is rumored that he also has a stunning home here in the mountains. But he is done with touring at this point.

Also saw the Beach Boys there 2 summers ago on their 50th anniversary tour. Not sure if they ever played in Providence though.

Those "tents" were always packed up north .... two on Cape Cod and one in Cohasset. Saw that big fat slob Roseanne Barr there in Cohasset. Sitting in the front rows, you could smell her B.O. Awful creature.
The Theatre by the Sea in Narragansett is very good also for some musical plays; and PPAC, I do like PPAC depending on what is playing when we're up there.
The Beach Boys have played Providence a number of times over the years. They were one of the first events put on by Frank Russo at what is now the Dunkin Donut Center. They were here last year at PPAC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2015, 12:43 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,549,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2448 View Post
The Beach Boys have played Providence a number of times over the years. They were one of the first events put on by Frank Russo at what is now the Dunkin Donut Center. They were here last year at PPAC.

I never got to see the Beach Boys when they were in Prov. Moved away in 2003, and don't get a chance to see shows when I'm up there; never have enough time. Not sure if they made their last tour(s) when they were celebrating their 50th and we had to get tickets months ahead of time to see them here at The Biltmore Estate.

Imagine -- 50 yrs. wow. I'm still in love with Mike Love !! I saw them in L.A. in 1965, I believe it was at the L.A. Coliseum -- awesome, will never forget it. Then we also saw Sonny & Cher in L.A. a few months later. I did see Elvis in Providence though ... perspiring all over himself, and dripping on the stage. Did anyone else on these threads see Elvis at that time?

Old 09-11-2015, 02:23 PM

2,903 posts, read 3,458,607 times
Quote:
Wow, very surprised to learn that in your post #10 A/Boy. He was on one of the talk shows on television last year saying he was not going to tour anymore.

Always revealing that you actually take the time for such in depth 'research' in a pointed attempt to be snarky.
No, I was surprised because he's the Energizer Bunny. I regret if you took it as snark when it was just a ding.

I suspect you are right about his having a home in NC as he is booked at least twice in your fair shores.

Old 09-11-2015, 04:17 PM

4,407 posts, read 3,198,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp775 View Post
That should be a reason to post *more*, not less - dilute the trolling!
Unfortunately, it seems to work the opposite way: the love doesn't dilute the trolling, it attracts the trolls and it's like waving a red flag in front of a bull.

I made a conscious decision to avoid posting on this board since someone admitted the more positive the post here, the more they will counter with negativity. That's sad, but if my absence results in less trolling, it's worth it.

Old 09-11-2015, 06:59 PM

2,903 posts, read 3,458,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsonik View Post
Unfortunately, it seems to work the opposite way: the love doesn't dilute the trolling, it attracts the trolls and it's like waving a red flag in front of a bull.

I made a conscious decision to avoid posting on this board since someone admitted the more positive the post here, the more they will counter with negativity. That's sad, but if my absence results in less trolling, it's worth it.
Your significant contributions to this forum over the years must continue and continue to enrich this little corner of the Interwebs. "Remember the Gaspee", that's my motto.

I truly believe that the tenets and spirit of Roger Williams shape how we Rhode Islanders interact with the world; Tolerance, yes, but to a point. Think of that -- 1636 -- and he still shapes how we live our lives and how we engage with others. Amazing, to me, at least.

Do not let negative people silence you. Live out the Spirit of the remarkable, gorgeous and utterly unique and authentic place we call our home. And with that. and even though I'm tired, I'm grabbing my tripod and further expressing my profound love of this place by photographing it. We have something pretty good going on here, let's transcend negativity, m'kay? Wish me good shooting.
Attached Thumbnails
Come Out, Come Out, Wherever You Are-dsc_0386.jpg  

Old 09-11-2015, 07:56 PM

23,577 posts, read 18,730,403 times
Quote:
I never got to see the Beach Boys when they were in Prov. Moved away in 2003, and don't get a chance to see shows when I'm up there; never have enough time. Not sure if they made their last tour(s) when they were celebrating their 50th and we had to get tickets months ahead of time to see them here at The Biltmore Estate.

I believe the Beach Boys still play every summer at Indian Ranch (in Webster, MA).

Last edited by massnative71; 09-11-2015 at 08:40 PM..

Old 09-11-2015, 08:53 PM

4,407 posts, read 3,198,584 times
And Newport, and the Park theater, and Twin River and PPAC....if you call that farce that Mike Love "leads" the Beach Boys. I don't but they certainly play around here quite often.

Old 09-11-2015, 08:56 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,788,007 times
Quote:
And Newport, and the Park theater, and Twin River and PPAC....if you call that farce that Mike Love "leads" the Beach Boys. I don't but they certainly play around here quite often.
Love and Mercy is an excellent movie, in case you haven't seen it. Brian had such a tragic life!

Old 09-12-2015, 06:09 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,549,944 times
Quote:

Mike Love and Brian Wilson were the founders of the Beach Boys and Mike Love is the lead singer. Brian still plays the keyboard. I wasn't sure if they were still touring as much, but they are -- mostly on the west coast and the southwest in 2014 and 2015.

http://www.stubhub.com/beach-boys-ti...cid=C12289X021

When was the last time they anywhere near RI ? Got a link for quite often?

Old 09-12-2015, 06:13 AM

5,217 posts, read 6,150,147 times
We moved years ago but my daughters spend Christmas and most summers in RI so I still care quite a bit about old Rhody.

I can't live in the past but enjoy when the posts briefly go there.

My mom and dad had season tickets to the Warwick Musical Theatre.

I was the designated fill in when dad was out of town so I have seen Liberace, Tom Jones, the 5th Dimension, I think Tony Bennett, Lawrence Welk dancers and others. Looking back it was pretty cool even though I went kicking and screaming

We were front row upstairs right above the orchestra and it was pretty cool watching everyone perform on that slow moving stage. Mom saved all the playbills from the shows but tossed everything when she moved, would have been neat to have one after all these years.

I remember having a ticket to see the Steve Miller Band and old dad was out of town..........mom won that night and boy did hear it from my buddies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island