Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2022, 06:05 PM

3,799 posts, read 2,698,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Can't be. I was going to get a croissant last weekend and there was so much gunfire I had to take cover.

I settled for papusas as the place had bullet proof glass.

Where? Mi Guatemala? Review?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2022, 03:04 AM

Default Violent crime down 31% in Providence this summer

WPRI also has the story of the decrease in violent crime.

Violent crime this summer in Providence dropped 31% in comparison to previous years, city officials announced Wednesday.

“Going back to probably 1972 – exactly 50 years – we have not been this low in terms of homicide year to date,” (Mayor) Elorza added.

“We have what has probably been one of, if not the safest summers in the city in at least a generation, maybe 40 or 50 years,” Elorza said.

Old 09-01-2022, 03:16 AM

Talking Providence Journal: "Violent crime plunges in Providence, gun seizures climb, stats show"

The Providence Journal: "Violent crime plunges in Providence, gun seizures climb, stats show"

The statistics, combined with record seizures of illicit guns, prompted public-safety officials to heap congratulations on the city's police force, including one sergeant who seized 31 guns.

Christopher Herrmann, a former analyst for the New York City Police Department, said the variation in the statistics on violent crime mostly reflects the degree to which the pandemic years of 2020 and 2021 were outlier years for statistics, but that police deserve some credit for the recent numbers.

When shootings and homicides spiked in Providence in late 2020 and into 2021, Herrmann warned that statistics from such outlier years can be misleading. At the time, he warned, it was too soon to make judgements or develop new policies in response to those numbers.

But 2022 is not an outlier year for statistics, and the numbers from this year, which are improved, are not as potentially misleading and are worth celebrating, said Herrmann, who is an associate professor at the John Jay School of Criminal Justice in New York.

Old 09-01-2022, 03:59 AM

8,031 posts, read 4,700,436 times
Violence on the rise again?? That violent crime is now down in the Capitol City is a reason for celebration in our entire state. Credit where credit's due goes to the PPD. Our out-of-state copy/paste Crime Fearmonger can take his creepy fetish back to whatever little dark place that wants to claim him.

Old 09-01-2022, 08:40 PM

23,572 posts, read 18,722,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ormari View Post
According to Providence Police, violent crimes are down, gun seizures are up.

Police and the mayor’s office distributed tables indicating that from the start of the year, there were 25 shooting incidents involving 31 victims and five homicides through August 25, compared with 39 incidents involving 55 victims and 17 homicides in a similar period in 2021.

From 2017 when there were 319 violent crime incidents through the end of August, that number fell steadily to 256 in 2021, and 176 so far in 2022, according to city-supplied statistics.

August was definitely a tame month. Hopefully that trend continues. Re. the substantial drop in homicides, you can thank nobody other than the Providence PD (and it is absolutely reason for celebration). I have determined that the difference in my own tracking of serious violent crime vs. the PPD's, is that their numbers do not include "shots fired" calls where there is generally no "victim" or suspect charged. Why that number has gone up and shooting victims gone down, I'm not sure on the explanation. The top three that come to mind:

1. Marksmanship among the thugs has deteriorated and they are missing their targets more. Or perhaps all the firearms seizures by the PPD, has resulted in a deterioration in firepower quality among the gangbangers along with a greater reliance on "ghost guns"?

2. The numbers haven't in fact gone up, only neighbors are more likely/less afraid to "report" these incidents to the police.

3. Local gangbangers are shooting up houses and cars more as intimidation tactics, as opposed to gunning down their targets directly. Maybe several reasons for this (I find the likelihood of that possibility lower than the other two).

But regardless, "my" preliminary count of serious violent incidents for August of 2022 is 10 lower than in August of 2021 (50 vs. 60). It's one of two months this year where the number is down, and again this is very GOOD news as August is typically among the most violent of months in the city.

Now shifting to grim reaper mode...

There are a few not so good numbers here:

1. Non-aggravated assaults are up for both YTD as well as the past 28 days this year vs. last, and for overall assaults not involving a firearm (including stabbings, etc.). Still way too many thugs on the streets of Providence.

2. Weapons offenses are way up. Better enforcement? Or are there new underlying issues there?

With all that said, this "gotcha" you guys have going on is absurd. If you even cared to notice, this thread was started with a question mark in the title. A title of which, obviously hinted that the crime rate had gone down. There's basically two reasons why this discussion was started. The first being that I enjoy discussing crime, and the second being that I feel bringing attention to the violent crime in Providence is the best way to help reduce it. Contrary to what several of you perverse people think, I want the city to be safer. Most of the remaining forum members here prefer to remain in denial. And fact is that while there are some welcoming "signs", there are some serious issues remaining in some areas of the city (as is evidenced by the increase in shots fired incidents and some other categories of violent crime).

Last edited by massnative71; 09-01-2022 at 08:49 PM..

Old 09-02-2022, 04:32 AM

8,031 posts, read 4,700,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
August was definitely a tame month. Hopefully that trend continues. Re. the substantial drop in homicides, you can thank nobody other than the Providence PD (and it is absolutely reason for celebration). I have determined that the difference in my own tracking of serious violent crime vs. the PPD's, is that their numbers do not include "shots fired" calls where there is generally no "victim" or suspect charged. Why that number has gone up and shooting victims gone down, I'm not sure on the explanation. The top three that come to mind:1. Marksmanship among the thugs has deteriorated and they are missing their targets more. Or perhaps all the firearms seizures by the PPD, has resulted in a deterioration in firepower quality among the gangbangers along with a greater reliance on "ghost guns"?
2. The numbers haven't in fact gone up, only neighbors are more likely/less afraid to "report" these incidents to the police. 3. Local gangbangers are shooting up houses and cars more as intimidation tactics, as opposed to gunning down their targets directly. Maybe several reasons for this (I find the likelihood of that possibility lower than the other two). But regardless, "my" preliminary count of serious violent incidents for August of 2022 is 10 lower than in August of 2021 (50 vs. 60). It's one of two months this year where the number is down, and again this is very GOOD news as August is typically among the most violent of months in the city.Now shifting to grim reaper mode... There are a few not so good numbers here:1. Non-aggravated assaults are up for both YTD as well as the past 28 days this year vs. last, and for overall assaults not involving a firearm (including stabbings, etc.). Still way too many thugs on the streets of Providence. 2. Weapons offenses are way up. Better enforcement? Or are there new underlying issues there?
With all that said, this "gotcha" you guys have going on is absurd. If you even cared to notice, this thread was started with a question mark in the title. A title of which, obviously hinted that the crime rate had gone down. There's basically two reasons why this discussion was started. The first being that I enjoy discussing crime, and the second being that I feel bringing attention to the violent crime in Providence is the best way to help reduce it. Contrary to what several of you perverse people think, I want the city to be safer. Most of the remaining forum members here prefer to remain in denial. And fact is that while there are some welcoming "signs", there are some serious issues remaining in some areas of the city (as is evidenced by the increase in shots fired incidents and some other categories of violent crime).
This is what a crime fetish looks like. This Maine fellow is almost giddy as he takes the time to post this stuff. And, then he adds a thick pretense to care, as icing on the creepy cake.

Old 09-02-2022, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
This is what a crime fetish looks like. This Maine fellow is almost giddy as he takes the time to post this stuff. And, then he adds a thick pretense to care, as icing on the creepy cake.
Notably absent from his most recent piece of tedium was an explicit statement that he was wrong about Providence violent crime rates. He just weaseled his way around it, falling back on punctuation, as if that will absolve him.

Crime is his only area of expertise regarding Rhode Island, and he can't even get that right.

Old 09-02-2022, 07:27 AM

23,572 posts, read 18,722,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post

Not giddy, I just happen to take an interest and awareness in this stuff. It's clear that you don't. Which is fine, only it seems bizarre that you continue to post in such discussions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ormari View Post
Notably absent from his most recent piece of tedium was an explicit statement that he was wrong about Providence violent crime rates. He just weaseled his way around it, falling back on punctuation, as if that will absolve him.

Crime is his only area of expertise regarding Rhode Island, and he can't even get that right.

Nowhere was I wrong, sir (show me???).

^It can be frustratingly difficult to have a meaningful discussion about violent crime in Providence when some of our less sophisticated participants allow their biases and financial motivations to dominate their mindset.

Old 09-02-2022, 08:34 AM

4,231 posts, read 1,676,360 times
New England in general is an oasis of safety in an increasingly dangerous country, with both St. Louis and Baltimore among the top 25 most danerous cities in the world with regard to homicide rate. In the world. In the entire world. With both behind San Salvador. Anybody here still in favor of "reimagining" the police? Anybody?

Last edited by PureBoston; 09-02-2022 at 09:05 AM..

Old 09-02-2022, 10:17 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,269,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PureBoston View Post
New England in general is an oasis of safety in an increasingly dangerous country, with both St. Louis and Baltimore among the top 25 most danerous cities in the world with regard to homicide rate. In the world. In the entire world. With both behind San Salvador. Anybody here still in favor of "reimagining" the police? Anybody?
Sort of. Sandy Hook is in Newtown CT. That’s pretty leafy. The 10 year anniversary is in December. Anyone who really wants to buy a Bushmaster AR-15 and gun down 20-something people isn’t going to have a very hard time driving a few hours to buy one on the black market. Any Vermont resident can buy one and there is no state licensing. There are lots of junkies in Vermont breaking into houses. Guns are a top item stolen since they’re so easy to sell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island