Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2022, 04:19 AM

3,803 posts, read 2,700,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
You posted a link that confirmed violent crime is up over last year. Homicides are down, but overall the more serious categories are up.

Let the reader note that this poster thinks a a count of 503 events last year vs. 504 events this year, a 0.2% increase is confirmation that violent crime is "rising". The Providence Police call it 0% because a 0.2% difference is noise in the measurement. And he still won't admit comparisons to five year averages shows useful information.

I think most readers will agree that this horse has been beaten to death.

Last edited by ormari; 08-25-2022 at 04:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2022, 04:43 AM

3,803 posts, read 2,700,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
Indeed. A man without a party. Too bad you're pro-choice, anti-gun and an environmentalist. Ditch these little ticks & the republicans might take you in - even if some would hold their nose. But, you're right. No big tent parties these days. I blame where it all started. The Civil Rights Act of 1964.
I don't think you've put your finger on the problem accurately. It seems it wasn't that long ago when there was room for ideological diversity in the big two parties. For instance, Republicans had pro-choice members and Democrats had pro-life members. And it is abortion that really is the lightning rod for the two parties. It's not race, though the Democrats would have minority populations believe that.

I think polls have been showing an increasing dissatisfaction with both major parties. My guess is big party intolerance for ideological diversity has something to do with that. [Ed.] Pew Research recently released a study that looks into partisan hostility, for the curious reader.

Last edited by ormari; 08-25-2022 at 05:43 AM..

Old 08-25-2022, 07:41 AM

7,817 posts, read 2,902,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PureBoston View Post
Providence is safe for a city of its size, we can agree on that. Of course Democrats are responsible for the gun violence in our cities. Who else did you think? I'm in a tough place personally. I'm a pro-labor, pro-union, pro-choice, anti-gun environmentalist so I wouldn't make much of a Republican. By today's standards, I don't make a very good Democrat either. I've definitely got some thinking to do.
Yeah: Ya know how the Democratic Party has changed so dramatically? You clearly got that part down pat.

Well so has the Republican Party. Otherwise I couldn't be a member.

And don't let the MSM and Cocaine Mitch define what a "Republican" is. They want it both ways. Worship the Cheneys, but also still pretend the Republican Party is the same ole' source of evil it always was.

Nope, that's the Democrats now - sorry.

Maybe you should take a look some time.

Sorry if I'm pissing on your parade Massnative

Old 08-25-2022, 07:49 AM

7,817 posts, read 2,902,655 times
As for abortion - most Americans do not support it after the first trimester, which is the Republican Party platform. Dems used to be "Safe, legal and rare". Now they're like "I just killed my 9 month old, let's celebrate on Tik Tok!"

Most Americans agree with Republicans.

But the Leftist media and its appartchiks pose the question "Pro Choice/Pro Life"? without nuance in order to mislead the public.

Who'd a thunk it?

Did I mention violence in Providence is on the rise? Like everywhere else?

Old 08-25-2022, 08:09 AM

4,231 posts, read 1,677,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhodyRepub View Post
As for abortion - most Americans do not support it after the first trimester, which is the Republican Party platform. Dems used to be "Safe, legal and rare". Now they're like "I just killed my 9 month old, let's celebrate on Tik Tok!"

But the Leftist media and its appartchiks pose the question "Pro Choice/Pro Life"? without nuance in order to mislead the public.

Who'd a thunk it?

I agree with Republicans on far more issues than with Democrats, but not on those most dear to me. I do see a day of reckoning ahead for those of a Progreesive ideology within my Party. My opinion, formed from daily personal experience, is that Black Americans are piecing together that these vile and malignant phonies are turning the Democratic Party into the worst enemy they could hope for. Along the current trajectory, it won't end well for either.

Old 08-25-2022, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Yeah: Ya know how the Democratic Party has changed so dramatically? You clearly got that part down pat.

Well so has the Republican Party. Otherwise I couldn't be a member.

And don't let the MSM and Cocaine Mitch define what a "Republican" is. They want it both ways. Worship the Cheneys, but also still pretend the Republican Party is the same ole' source of evil it always was.

Nope, that's the Democrats now - sorry.

Maybe you should take a look some time.

Sorry if I'm pissing on your parade Massnative
The answer is simple but impossible. Bring back Ike and JFK.

Old 08-25-2022, 08:33 AM

Quote:

Who'd a thunk it?

And yes, pertinent to the discussion, the plague of gun violence ripping apart our inner cities, can be laid squarely at the feet of today's Liberals. While they're busy studying charts of Whiteness in their BLM t-shirts, even the most clueless of Democratic mayors are starting to find religion in "police based solutions". As we used to say on the North Shore, light dawns on marble head.

Last edited by PureBoston; 08-25-2022 at 08:59 AM..

Old 08-25-2022, 08:57 AM

23,587 posts, read 18,730,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PureBoston View Post
Providence is safe for a city of its size, we can agree on that. Of course Democrats are responsible for the gun violence in our cities. Who else did you think? I'm in a tough place personally. I'm a pro-labor, pro-union, pro-choice, anti-gun environmentalist so I wouldn't make much of a Republican. By today's standards, I don't make a very good Democrat either. I've definitely got some thinking to do.

At least on the local/state level, you still have pragmatic Republicans left around like Alan Fung (although good luck to him standing his ground if/when he goes to DC). It's on the national level that's the problem for both parties, where the Republicans have abandoned fiscal conservatism/responsibility and Democrats have abandoned labor. Both to appease their lowest common denominator of voters, and both abandoning their bread and butter. I see both as pretty hopeless right now, and don't see joining either as a solution to the future or any of our problems. I rarely agree with anything Professor Croissant says, but he is correct on his mirror analogy. The first major party that figures out how to use one and learn from it, will be the first to regain any form of integrity and ability to move our country forward from here.

Old 08-25-2022, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
At least on the local/state level, you still have pragmatic Republicans left around like Alan Fung (although good luck to him standing his ground if/when he goes to DC). It's on the national level that's the problem for both parties, where the Republicans have abandoned fiscal conservatism/responsibility and Democrats have abandoned labor. Both to appease their lowest common denominator of voters, and both abandoning their bread and butter. I see both as pretty hopeless right now, and don't see joining either as a solution to the future or any of our problems. I rarely agree with anything Professor Croissant says, but he is correct on his mirror analogy. The first major party that figures out how to use one and learn from it, will be the first to regain any form of integrity and ability to move our country forward from here.
The closest a "Progressive" of today has been to a picket line is crossing one.

Old 08-25-2022, 09:12 AM

23,587 posts, read 18,730,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ormari View Post
Let the reader note that this poster thinks a a count of 503 events last year vs. 504 events this year, a 0.2% increase is confirmation that violent crime is "rising". The Providence Police call it 0% because a 0.2% difference is noise in the measurement. And he still won't admit comparisons to five year averages shows useful information.

I think most readers will agree that this horse has been beaten to death.

It's not a significant increase, overall. Not a decrease, either. Aggravated assaults are up 10% YOY, up 2% over 5 years. The Providence PD have done a great job getting guns off the street, maybe the thugs are using more knives and stuff now? Or is their marksmanship getting that much worse? Does it not bother you that shootings/stabbings, etc. are up this year despite the (thank God) fewer homicides???

I never said the five year average isn't useful, but it wasn't what I was talking/asking about. That is another conversation for another day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island