Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2022, 09:21 AM

23,519 posts, read 18,678,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ormari View Post
All you have provided is a list of addresses, no more. That doesn't show what you think it shows. And posting a link to a database that only contains the last 180 days of events doesn't back up your assertions. You'll have to do better for the reader.

It shows exactly what I said it does. You can verify the last 6 months of activity (which would demonstrate my credibility to any reasonable reader), and you easily could have last year's as well if you had any doubt about it then. If you didn't, that's not my problem. I already provided more details than your Providence PD link does. What is my data lacking that theirs isn't, when it comes to "showing the work"? And if you feel something is inaccurate, please do elaborate. Welcome to the adult table. Simply saying, "I don't believe you because I don't like you" just doesn't cut it here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2022, 09:30 AM

8,001 posts, read 4,689,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ormari View Post
I don't think you've put your finger on the problem accurately. It seems it wasn't that long ago when there was room for ideological diversity in the big two parties. For instance, Republicans had pro-choice members and Democrats had pro-life members. And it is abortion that really is the lightning rod for the two parties. It's not race, though the Democrats would have minority populations believe that.

I think polls have been showing an increasing dissatisfaction with both major parties. My guess is big party intolerance for ideological diversity has something to do with that. [Ed.] Pew Research recently released a study that looks into partisan hostility, for the curious reader.
Perhaps not. Political Science may not be my strongest point.

A NYT analyst did a dive from multiple sources on the current political division a few weeks back. The most striking voting factor wasn't necessarily race or income or even geography. It was, of all things, whether or not a person had attained a bachelor's degree. I can probably try to copy/paste it here, but I'm sure it will have a paywall.

Old 08-25-2022, 12:16 PM

23,519 posts, read 18,678,020 times
Exclamation House shot up in Mt. Pleasant

Shots fired at a house in Mt Pleasant. Leah St & Yale Ave.

Providence police search for white pickup truck in connection with shooting

https://turnto10.com/news/local/prov...eah-street-gun

"According to police, shots were fired into a house on Leah Street in Providence. Police said 10 bullet casings were located outside and five rounds struck the house, which is located at the intersection of Leah Street and Yale Avenue."

https://goo.gl/maps/roZXvsHHcDAc2bHs5

The other end of Leah Street:

https://goo.gl/maps/rXCkikrkSYSvubFA9

Gang graffiti on stop sign at Leah St & Yale Ave:

https://goo.gl/maps/YQcpgcwwuz4byy4d7

Old 08-25-2022, 05:32 PM

4,215 posts, read 1,668,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post

A NYT analyst did a dive from multiple sources on the current political division a few weeks back. The most striking voting factor wasn't necessarily race or income or even geography. It was, of all things, whether or not a person had attained a bachelor's degree. I can probably try to copy/paste it here, but I'm sure it will have a paywall.
This again? Blue smart, Red stupid? I've got the finest Boston education that money can buy. I'm a triple niner, remember? Our motto is sorry, there's always Mensa. I'm smart enough to know that I'm stupid. So now, let's talk about the Blue geniuses. This country wasn't founded by geniuses, wasn't built and brought to greatness by geniuses and isn't held together today by geniuses. It's not farmed and fed by geniuses and it's not kept safe and secure by geniuses. It wasn't geniuses on the beaches of Normandy. Or on Iwo Jima. Or in Viet Nam. Let's look closer to home for you. Seriously, do they come any smarter than Jorge Elorza or Gina Raimondo? Honestly? Both certified Ivy League Blue geniuses. The former, currently failed and befuddled Mayor of Providence, was last seen beating his lips for "reparations" in Providence. Of course how to actually pay for it from bankrupt coffers was "a discussion for another time". Well of course it was, isn't it always? The latter, failed banker and ex Rhode Island bigwig, in all her years of higher learning never became acquainted with the miraculous wonder of low cost index funds. Instead peddling high fee, low return (or worse) hedge funds to head scratching Rhode Islanders wondering just how these expensive dogs equated to "snow tires"? Or what did she say the fees we were paying again? Or how did empty desks count as jobs at Wexford? Or exactly why again, was it that the UHIP disaster wasn't her fault? Cooler AND warmer? Yeah, don't ask. 911 "scoops"? Definitely don't ask. If these two fine egghead exemplars don't all but sew up your case for you, well I'll be a public college graduate. And me? I must not be as smart as I think I am. I've spent the last 40 years in grateful and humble service to the public. Out in my community every day. First in emergency vehicles and now in a school bus. Not one day haven't I made someone's life better or easier. Funny thing? 40 years beside countless dedicated and caring coworkers and I haven't met a genius among 'em yet. Other than myself of course. Do us all a favor? With your "educated"? Keep 'em.

Last edited by PureBoston; 08-25-2022 at 06:37 PM..

Old 08-25-2022, 06:37 PM

7,817 posts, read 2,898,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PureBoston View Post
This country wasn't founded by geniuses, wasn't built and brought to greatness by geniuses and isn't held together today by geniuses.
How about interlechules?

Old 08-25-2022, 06:50 PM

Quote:

If it makes you feel any better, I had my time of arrogance, of intellectual superiority. I learned humility in the only way that it ever sticks. The hard way.

Old 08-25-2022, 08:37 PM

Quote:

I wish I could say that your Blue brothers and sisters in this very forum help to make your case. Yeah, sure do wish.

Old 08-26-2022, 02:49 AM

3,754 posts, read 2,689,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
It shows exactly what I said it does. You can verify the last 6 months of activity (which would demonstrate my credibility to any reasonable reader), and you easily could have last year's as well if you had any doubt about it then. If you didn't, that's not my problem. I already provided more details than your Providence PD link does. What is my data lacking that theirs isn't, when it comes to "showing the work"? And if you feel something is inaccurate, please do elaborate.
I'm pretty much done boring through this block of granite with the reader. The bit's a bit dull at this point. But this is just too hilarious to ignore. The first post in this thread was July 3, 2022. The poster didn't figure out he needed to cherry pick the data categories until three weeks later on July 24, 2022. This poster now claims, "you easily could have (verified) last year's as well if you had any doubt about it then". Just how precisely were you to have done that? The Providence Police database goes back six months. You, dear reader, should have been clairvoyant in 2021? You, dear reader, should have used your time machine? You, dear reader, should just trust that this gaffe-prone poster "oops, just a copy & paste error" didn't make a boo-boo in his "data-crunching"? Leave alone, dear reader, his long-standing credibility deficit ,you're to cheer him on? "What is my data lacking"? You, dear reader, should verify the unverifiable. You, dear reader, should just shut up and trust him.

"What is my data lacking that (the Providence Police Department's data) isn't"? Does he now imagine himself as a good as, if not better than, the folks wearing the uniform? He's wearing a uniform all right, but his involves colorful hair, a big rubber nose, big shoes, and white face paint. It's up to you, dear reader, if you want to stick your nose in and smell the bloom of his "research". But I think you'll get a squirt of water in the face.

Old 08-26-2022, 04:30 AM

24,556 posts, read 18,239,810 times
Quote:
This again? Blue smart, Red stupid? I've got the finest Boston education that money can buy. I'm a triple niner, remember? Our motto is sorry, there's always Mensa. I'm smart enough to know that I'm stupid.
You’re confusing stupid with ignorant.

Old 08-26-2022, 04:37 AM

8,001 posts, read 4,689,663 times
Quote:
I've got the finest Boston education that money can buy. I'm a triple niner, remember?
Which may account for that internal question you seem to have: "Why am I still a democrat?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island