Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 07:04 PM

11 posts, read 55,700 times

Advertisements

Can anyone offer advice on how to get in to Classical High School in Providence? How to prepare for the entrance exam?

I have 2 middle school children coming through the Providence public schools--one quite bright, one strong in reading/writing but weak in math, both with only mediocre academic preparation from the public schools up 'til now (eg. average scores on the NECAP standardized tests). Neither one was accepted into the Nathanael Greene gifted program.

We have a couple of years, but can anyone offer any advice about how to help them get into Classical (short of sending them to private middle schools)?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2007, 12:46 AM

4 posts, read 21,867 times
i graduated last month from there. its a great school. the test wasnt as difficult as i expected 4 years ago and im not sure how much has changed. my younger brother passed it this year with out studying much. dont over prepare the kids or put any pressure on them to pass. the test was majority reading and reasoning. the math portion is bits and pieces of pre algerbra. also brush up on their vocabulary too.
good luck with that.
class of 07

Old 03-10-2008, 06:36 PM

5 posts, read 28,350 times
I don't remember studying at all for the entrance exam. Good luck to your children!

Old 10-30-2009, 02:31 PM

4 posts, read 29,629 times
As a former Classical HS student, could you tell me a litle more about what it is like? I'm looking into it for my daughter, and it's hard to get much information. I don't know any kids who go there now.

Old 10-30-2009, 02:33 PM

4 posts, read 29,629 times
Default More info?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelpizza View Post
i graduated last month from there. its a great school. the test wasnt as difficult as i expected 4 years ago and im not sure how much has changed. my younger brother passed it this year with out studying much. dont over prepare the kids or put any pressure on them to pass. the test was majority reading and reasoning. the math portion is bits and pieces of pre algerbra. also brush up on their vocabulary too.
good luck with that.
class of 07
Could you tell me more about what it was like going to Classical?

Old 06-27-2016, 06:57 PM

1 posts, read 4,509 times
I'm an eighth grader and I want to know if the math is hard in the Classical entrence exam. I'm weak in math but actually in school I'm advanced but I still have trouble. I want to prepare so I'm not stressed when the time comes. I hope you have a chance to "reply".

Old 08-04-2016, 05:47 PM

1 posts, read 4,338 times
Smile Classical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochlover View Post
I'm an eighth grader and I want to know if the math is hard in the Classical entrence exam. I'm weak in math but actually in school I'm advanced but I still have trouble. I want to prepare so I'm not stressed when the time comes. I hope you have a chance to "reply".
Hi ,this year you need to really pay attention to math skills because it will be on the test and some easy math as well I recommend you buy the barons book for entrance exam that's what I used . Don't get nervous about the because it isn't that hard;but its very long about 5 hours . There's also grammar , English, ect. Don't stress and if you don't get in you can appeal your seat. Wish you the best.

Old 08-05-2016, 02:08 PM

1,549 posts, read 3,054,234 times
didn't know Classical had an entrance exam now. At one time anyone could go if they thought they could handle the curriculum. Classical, at the time, was the only public high school in Providence that started in the 9th grade. The others began in the 10th grade. My class was the first to no longer need two years of Greek for graduation, but we still had the mandatory 4 years of Latin. Many of us still took Greek as an elective. I can remember our introduction to the school in the "get to know you" in the auditorium. Mr. MacMillan, the Principal, told us to look to either side of us. He said only one of three of you will remain for graduation the other two would be gone. Daily quizzes, one wrong a 70 and 2 wrong a 0 and weekly tests were a grind. And he was right only one third of that class of "66" remained on graduation day. I didn't know I would be one of them as we moved to Connecticut before my Jr. year. In November the class of "66" has its 50th Reunion, looking forward to it!

Old 10-14-2016, 02:51 PM

1 posts, read 4,007 times
Hi I'm in eighth grade and I was wondering if the test is hard and what to expect in the test?

Old 10-15-2016, 09:52 PM

2,903 posts, read 3,455,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2448 View Post
didn't know Classical had an entrance exam now. At one time anyone could go if they thought they could handle the curriculum. Classical, at the time, was the only public high school in Providence that started in the 9th grade. The others began in the 10th grade. My class was the first to no longer need two years of Greek for graduation, but we still had the mandatory 4 years of Latin. Many of us still took Greek as an elective. I can remember our introduction to the school in the "get to know you" in the auditorium. Mr. MacMillan, the Principal, told us to look to either side of us. He said only one of three of you will remain for graduation the other two would be gone. Daily quizzes, one wrong a 70 and 2 wrong a 0 and weekly tests were a grind. And he was right only one third of that class of "66" remained on graduation day. I didn't know I would be one of them as we moved to Connecticut before my Jr. year. In November the class of "66" has its 50th Reunion, looking forward to it!
Great story, mr2448!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
View detailed profiles of: