Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: do you think people who dont live on your block and park in front of your house should get towede
yes 23 22.12%
no 76 73.08%
only allowed on holydays 1 0.96%
only first responders/medics/police 6 5.77%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2018, 09:10 AM

6,341 posts, read 11,087,268 times

Advertisements

Unless you have Permit parking and you are specifically granted that spot, you can't do anything about it.

On the bright side, at least he's not parking in your driveway. I had that problem in a small town outside of KC a couple of times. Friends visiting the people across the street (out of state plates from Nebraska) decided to park in my driveway while I was at work a couple of times. Had to tell them not to do it again. That ended that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2018, 01:24 PM

6,341 posts, read 11,087,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Your poll needs another option:

Proofread and correct all grammar and spelling mistakes.
After rereading perhaps the original intent was "to weed" the yard on the property?

Old 08-26-2018, 02:40 PM

2,373 posts, read 1,913,458 times
He may be trying to avoid pulling out in traffic when he leaves the library so he prefers the residential street.

Yes, it's a public street. But some people don't need to be so ornery. I knew a retired couple who always wanted the parking spaces (2) in front of their home available to them. Or, at least one for the wife. They were very nice and did a lot for the neighbors but, still, someone unfamiliar would often park in front of their home and they were incensed.

There was a woman who lived a few houses from me in a former neighborhood. The house beside that one had a good number of guests for some reason. Not a b&b but lots of friends and family. So they would on occasion park in the woman's driveway right next door. This woman also didn't care for vehicles in front of her house but she understood it had to be. But in her driveway! Made her really mad. Eventually she developed a plan. She would call the owners one time and let them know and also let them know that in a certain amount of minutes she was calling the tow company.

It only took one time of their not believing her before they made sure to park only wherever it was legal to do so.

Old 08-26-2018, 02:53 PM

1,956 posts, read 1,519,285 times
Exclamation Only If......!!!!!

Only if he stays inside of the car, for a long period of time........because he may have ULTERIOR motives.....and if you are a woman, who is home alone, and who also has little children..........I will call the police, if he is inside the car for more than 20 minutes......

Yes, he has the right to park in any public street, with some limitations, as stated above. And if my house was in a place, like a Condominium or private setting, like HOAS, most of those places have private parking, anyway, so there would be no reason for him to park in front of my house or condominium.

The 20 minutes I have allowed him gives him enough time, to eat, call his g/f or anyone else, and rest........

Old 08-26-2018, 02:58 PM

1,956 posts, read 1,519,285 times
Default However.....!!!!

If he parked in front of my home, and went to visit a neighbor, or take public transportation to another place, that is different......

Old 08-26-2018, 03:01 PM

30,522 posts, read 16,217,604 times
according to the poll, option 4 means that only 1st responders/medics/police should be towed.

I dare ya!

Old 08-26-2018, 05:05 PM

6,115 posts, read 4,607,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
according to the poll, option 4 means that only 1st responders/medics/police should be towed.

I dare ya!
Apparently there is also a religious holiday that people celebrate by parking in front of others' houses.

The "only allowed on holydays" option.

Old 08-26-2018, 05:09 PM

6,704 posts, read 5,933,155 times
Everyone's giving the OP a hard time--why? It's annoying when people park in front of one's house in a small town/rural area. Which I assume OP lives in, since it was posted in the "Rural and Small Town Living" topic.

Even though it's public parking, it's still kind of annoying when someone parks in front of one's house. Why don't they park in the library lot which the taxpayers pay for?

Poster has several options:

(1) Leave a polite note "Kindly do not block the road in front of our house" (note use of "block" to suggest he's causing a problem)

(2) park own car out front for a couple of weeks, to convince annoying library patron to change his habits.

(2)(a) park own car out front, with barely enough room to squeeze another car in next to driveway. If he takes the bait and parks within X feet of driveway, call the police.

(3) Put leaflets on his car -- "Welcome to the neighborhood!" or "Come to our prayer meeting at #45" or "Come to Tommy's 10th birthday party this Friday!" - stuff that only locals would be interested in - to give him the hint

(4) "Sandwich" his car -- your car and your son's car, parked so close that he can't get out. Forces him to knock on your door and ask you to move. You say "okay" but don't come out for 20 minutes.

(5) mow the lawn. Oops! Grass trimmings all over his car. Oops! Lawnmower spits out gravel. Oops! Edge trimmer accidentally leaves some streaks in his paint. "Sorry, buddy. Our lawn guy needs to be more careful next time. He sometimes drinks too much. We'll talk to him."

(6) Ignore. The man is a library patron. There are worse things in life -- drug dealers, homeless living out of car, etc.

Old 08-26-2018, 06:02 PM

30,522 posts, read 16,217,604 times
Everyone's giving the OP a hard time--why? It's annoying when people park in front of one's house in a small town/rural area. Which I assume OP lives in, since it was posted in the "Rural and Small Town Living" topic.

Because it sounds like the parking isn't the problem to the OP; it's that her kids can't park there.

Old 08-26-2018, 07:00 PM

2,129 posts, read 1,776,727 times
I routinely buy old cars. I've never had one with faded paint. I think the oldest car I've ever owned was 25 years old and had 280k miles on it when it went to that Great Parking Lot in the Sky.

He should park in the library parking lot and not block people's homes. But there is no law that says he must, it is only manners, and most people only care about their own convenience, no matter how inconvenient it makes it for others.

And none of the poll choices are appropriate to the situation. I therefore abstain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living