Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: do you think people who dont live on your block and park in front of your house should get towede
yes 23 22.12%
no 76 73.08%
only allowed on holydays 1 0.96%
only first responders/medics/police 6 5.77%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2018, 07:33 PM

15,439 posts, read 7,502,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasie123 View Post
Only if he stays inside of the car, for a long period of time........because he may have ULTERIOR motives.....and if you are a woman, who is home alone, and who also has little children..........I will call the police, if he is inside the car for more than 20 minutes......

Yes, he has the right to park in any public street, with some limitations, as stated above. And if my house was in a place, like a Condominium or private setting, like HOAS, most of those places have private parking, anyway, so there would be no reason for him to park in front of my house or condominium.

The 20 minutes I have allowed him gives him enough time, to eat, call his g/f or anyone else, and rest........
It is none of your business whatsoever how long someone sits in their car parked on a public street. If you called the cops on me for exceeding your petty little rules, and I found out who you were, I would sue you for harassment and any other cause of action I could think of. I occasionally have to take calls for work that require me to park for an hour, so your so called concerns are ridiculous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
Everyone's giving the OP a hard time--why? It's annoying when people park in front of one's house in a small town/rural area. Which I assume OP lives in, since it was posted in the "Rural and Small Town Living" topic.

Even though it's public parking, it's still kind of annoying when someone parks in front of one's house. Why don't they park in the library lot which the taxpayers pay for?

Poster has several options:

(

(4) "Sandwich" his car -- your car and your son's car, parked so close that he can't get out. Forces him to knock on your door and ask you to move. You say "okay" but don't come out for 20 minutes.

Pretty much illegal everywhere, and would result in OP's cars getting towed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2018, 08:00 PM

6,706 posts, read 5,939,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
It is none of your business whatsoever how long someone sits in their car parked on a public street. If you called the cops on me for exceeding your petty little rules, and I found out who you were, I would sue you for harassment and any other cause of action I could think of. I occasionally have to take calls for work that require me to park for an hour, so your so called concerns are ridiculous.
Seriously, you know a lawyer who would take such a case? How many lawsuits for harassment do you think actually succeed? To sue someone for calling the cops because you were sitting in your car for too long, however annoying the cop-caller may be, would be likely classified as a frivolous harassment suit, and would likely be tossed out and then you might suffer legal consequences yourself, including a fine.

Unfortunately for you and other car-squatters, the sympathies of the police and the courts will always be with homeowners concerned about vagrants or potential burglars hanging about the neighborhood. If you live on the street, the cops will be chill. But if you are from outside the neighborhood, the cops who answer the dispatch will be forced to investigate the person in the car and find out why they are sitting there, where do they live, is this their own vehicle, are there any outstanding liens on this vehicle, are there any outstanding warrants for you? They will probably let you off, but you don't really want to draw that kind of attention, so you are better off not to tempt fate. Go park at a mall.

Old 08-26-2018, 08:23 PM

1,096 posts, read 1,047,842 times
I'm sure there's some "suspicious, loitering, out-of-state, vehicle with a broken headlight" that needs to be reported to the local police department.

Old 08-26-2018, 10:20 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,435,109 times
The street in front of your house isn't 'your' property.Some people have a hard time getting that but its true.

Both of my grandmothers used to go nuts about people parked in front of their houses.Neither one drove or owned a car but it didn't matter.One had a large lot,you could park six cars in front of her house so its not like friends or relatives couldn't find a space if visiting.The other one had a driveway so we had no trouble parking there either.Both spent years complaining to the police,the county,the neighbors,and to the relatives......to no avail.I never understood it,nor did anyone else in the family.

Life is too short to worry about such petty things.Move out to a couple acres in the country if you're so worried about dealing with things that people can and will legally do in towns and cities.

Old 08-26-2018, 11:52 PM

3,861 posts, read 3,154,615 times
I guess you are very lucky. In my neighborhood, most familys own 5 cars, and not one parked in their garage. Only 2 are in regular use, one being an Uber. And these folks have the nerve to stand in an empty parking space, holding the spot until the other gets there. Like others have said, public roads and parking spots are first come first served.

Old 08-27-2018, 07:52 AM

19,058 posts, read 13,973,458 times
The street is fair game, but I’m shocked by the two posts regarding people parking IN their driveways. Wow, that takes some cujones. I don’t think I’d bother calling anyone in that situation besides a tow truck.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 08-27-2018, 09:11 AM

3,206 posts, read 2,487,755 times
We live in a rural area and that strip of land on your property that borders the road is the county’s. For some reason, the gated community across the road put their mailboxes on our side even though they have a wide paved front entrance. They park on our land to get their mail which is better than on the road as there is logging at times. Big log trucks and narrow county road make for close calls. Their frequent parking there made deep ruts which i didn't like plus they squashed my ferns. The county public works said nothing we could do about it. I couldn't plant larger ferns, shrubs, put down limbs from the alders, blocks, nothing. So, i guess you are SOL.

Old 08-27-2018, 09:39 AM

2,373 posts, read 1,915,651 times
Here's a thought. Since you know the guy is going to the library, pop in when he's there. See if it's a secret meet up. So he keeps his car out of sight. A sensible guy who borrows books, not buying them, on a regular basis and doesn't park in the library lot. Could be a mystery.

Does he carry books back and forth to the car?

Old 08-27-2018, 09:41 AM

3,060 posts, read 2,039,242 times
People get used to the view from their property and do not understand they don't actually own that land and/or the view.
People become "entitled" in so many ways that they just don't deserve.

I was amazed a couple years ago in my previous small town when one of the town commissioners was UP IN ARMS that someone was going to build a home on the lot next to his, removing his wooded view. Seriously, he wanted to deny them a building permit.

It is certainly not illegal to park on city/county property even if there is a perfectly good parking lot available. Maybe that guy doesn't want anyone to know he goes to the library. Maybe his ex would key his car if she saw it there. Maybe he is undercover FBI. Maybe he likes to take a little walk. Maybe he does not like to back up (or his car has trouble going into reverse). Maybe something bad happened the last time he parked in the library lot.

Old 08-27-2018, 09:48 AM

8,620 posts, read 5,656,400 times
Are you familiar with the concept of a public street?

There are rules for how many days a person can park on a public street before they can be towed.

Your poll is meaningless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living