Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: do you think people who dont live on your block and park in front of your house should get towede
yes 23 22.12%
no 76 73.08%
only allowed on holydays 1 0.96%
only first responders/medics/police 6 5.77%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2018, 12:58 PM

6,341 posts, read 4,910,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joee5 View Post
Don't own the street as its publicly owned. He or anyone can park their vehicle there if they choose.
Yep. That's the long and short of it.

Any other discussion is just hot air.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2018, 01:26 PM

257 posts, read 177,885 times
You don't own the street in front of your house. Unless the city has posted a sign that only residents with permit stickers can park along a stretch of curb, it's fair game for non-residents, too. I had a next door neighbor, a crotchety old lady, who would come over to my house and knock on my door during parties if one of my party guests had parked in front of her house (and I had like 2-3 parties a year, so it's not like I was creating a frequent problem for her). Part of the issue was she wanted to park HER car in front of her house at all times, instead of her driveway. That was because she had two nonworking old Cadillacs with long-expired plates sitting at the end of her driveway so she couldn't park her working car in it. She also used to get mad at me for my sprinkler misting these Cadillacs. Meanwhile, the rest of the street was tired of seeing her junkers in her driveway, and had already gotten the city to come and put stickers on them saying they violated the junked vehicle ordinance. I had resolved, the next time she complained about the sprinklers, to offer to put her cars in neutral and push them further up the driveway, so my sprinkler wouldn't hit them, so the other neighbors wouldn't be bothered by them, and so she could actually park in her driveway. I never got the chance, I came home one day and they were gone, the HOA had called the city back to report that the cars were still there, and the city towed them away.

Old 08-28-2018, 01:46 PM

257 posts, read 177,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
Everyone's giving the OP a hard time--why? It's annoying when people park in front of one's house in a small town/rural area. Which I assume OP lives in, since it was posted in the "Rural and Small Town Living" topic.

Even though it's public parking, it's still kind of annoying when someone parks in front of one's house. Why don't they park in the library lot which the taxpayers pay for?
It may be "annoying", may be less than completely courteous and taking someone else's wishes into consideration, but it's still perfectly legal, so OP will just have to live with it. Taxpayers also pay for the streets. And maybe the library parking lot gets full.

Poster has several options:
Quote:
(1) Leave a polite note "Kindly do not block the road in front of our house" (note use of "block" to suggest he's causing a problem)
Might work, but most likely he will know what he does is perfectly legal, and will ignore the note, and doesn't seem particularly honest to try to mislead him.
Quote:
(2) park own car out front for a couple of weeks, to convince annoying library patron to change his habits.
Probably the best option for getting him to stop.

Quote:
(2)(a) park own car out front, with barely enough room to squeeze another car in next to driveway. If he takes the bait and parks within X feet of driveway, call the police.
In most cities, as long as he isn't blocking the driveway, being "within X feet" of the driveway isn't against the law.

Quote:
(3) Put leaflets on his car -- "Welcome to the neighborhood!" or "Come to our prayer meeting at #45" or "Come to Tommy's 10th birthday party this Friday!" - stuff that only locals would be interested in - to give him the hint
A funny and possibly very effective solution. Also an effective way for OP to dispose of all those flyers that get put on his windshield and home's front door.

Quote:
(4) "Sandwich" his car -- your car and your son's car, parked so close that he can't get out. Forces him to knock on your door and ask you to move. You say "okay" but don't come out for 20 minutes.
Then the OP would actually be breaking the law and liable to get ticketed and towed, and inconveniencing someone far more than he is actually being inconvenienced.

Quote:
(5) mow the lawn. Oops! Grass trimmings all over his car. Oops! Lawnmower spits out gravel. Oops! Edge trimmer accidentally leaves some streaks in his paint. "Sorry, buddy. Our lawn guy needs to be more careful next time. He sometimes drinks too much. We'll talk to him."
Actual damage to the car would be something the OP would be liable for.

Quote:
(6) Ignore. The man is a library patron. There are worse things in life -- drug dealers, homeless living out of car, etc.
The best overall option.

Old 08-28-2018, 01:49 PM

140 posts, read 255,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Your poll needs another option:

Proofread and correct all grammar and spelling mistakes.
Well, personally, I think the non-neighbor guy parking there on Good Friday is perfectly acceptable!

Old 08-28-2018, 01:53 PM

2,129 posts, read 1,778,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
LOL

What, Precisely, is unmannerly about parking a vehicle where it's allowed? Please, explain in detail so I don't make some logical/common sense (yes, I know, about as common as tolerance for a differing opinion these days) mistake in my understanding.

Perhaps it's just something you, personally, don't like. In which case, sorry your First World life is so boresome that something like this manages to be an issue upon which you focus. Regardless, just because you find something not to your own, personal, taste does NOT mean that everyone else must feel the same way. Nor does it mean that others should change their own beliefs or actions just to accommodate you. That you're "outraged" over this happening to someone Else? Whew, approaching a whole new level of virtue signalling here.
Again. This is not an issue of the law. The law is of no help in this instance.

This guy could and should park in the library parking lot which is provided for patrons of the library. Instead he chooses to inconvenience people living nearby by parking in front of their houses.

That is unmannerly. He puts his own desires over the needs of others. He has a place to park that is actually closer to his ultimate destination, but still chooses to inconvenience others for his own convenience. That is the DEFINITION of unmannerly.

I never used the word outraged. I am not, in fact, outraged. I'm not even surprised. I've come to expect that people are selfish and uncaring towards others. You are clearly confused on more than just this issue. Perhaps you should go back and find out who actually DOES feel outraged and yap at them instead, LOL!

Old 08-28-2018, 03:31 PM

19,131 posts, read 25,341,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tammy c View Post
some days he dose this
How high is the dosage, and what substance is he using/abusing?

Old 08-28-2018, 03:34 PM

11,129 posts, read 9,767,171 times
I don't think it's "unmannerly". He is legally parked in a space that he doesn't have any way of knowing the homeowner wants to use. If he doesn't know he's inconveniencing someone, how is that unmannerly? Should he ask permission to park on a public roadway? If the homeowner's kids park on the lawn, they are the problem. They can park on the street one space further away. Homeowner should park his, or one of his family's, car there for a week or so every now and then just to maybe break the library guy's habit, but he's in no way in the wrong for parking there.

Old 08-28-2018, 04:10 PM

297 posts, read 166,984 times
It was 1 week after Sept 11 and everyone was still very very high on patriotism. Too high sometimes.

I went to pick up my girlfriend from her apartment. As it is always the case, I had to wait. So I parked in a empty spot, where someone had put a sign,. a brown piece of cardboard, handwritten, saying NO PARKING DISABLED LOADING or something to that effect.
I parked, sat in the car and waited. In 2 minutes a very angry woman comes out of the building yelling at me telling me to move telling me to read the sigh telling me she is an American and she has rights telling me that she's an American who will call the police etc etc etc. I didn't move. She went inside, supposedly to call the police. By then my gf showed up and we left.

Bottom line, it's a public street.

Old 08-28-2018, 04:11 PM

417 posts, read 191,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Your poll needs another option:

Proofread and correct all grammar and spelling mistakes.

That's not an option, that's a criticism. Everyone has gifts, maybe grammar and spelling are not one of The Shadows' gifts.

Old 08-28-2018, 08:36 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,707,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by addakisson View Post
That's not an option, that's a criticism. Everyone has gifts, maybe grammar and spelling are not one of The Shadows' gifts.
It would be easy to partly make up for lack of gifts by using spell checkers.

The OP claims to be a college grad who had multiple majors, including English.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living