Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: do you think people who dont live on your block and park in front of your house should get towede
yes 23 22.12%
no 76 73.08%
only allowed on holydays 1 0.96%
only first responders/medics/police 6 5.77%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2018, 11:44 AM

2,129 posts, read 1,778,151 times

Advertisements

As you can see from the majority of responses here, this is not about the law, but about manners.

And clearly the vast majority of people don't have any.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2018, 12:30 PM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,341,226 times
Yes, it is about the law since there really is nothing the OP can do about someone parking on a public street.

Granted, I wouldn't park in front of another person's house but regardless, there is no law stating I can't. Unless it is in a gated or otherwise controlled area bound by a separate set of rules and regulations.

Old 08-27-2018, 01:21 PM

1,555 posts, read 2,521,704 times
Way back, when I lived in Boston, MA, after a snowfall everybody shoveled their car out, and would put a barrel, a chair, or whatever to mark their spot, and it more often than not be in front of their house, and heaven help you if you moved that marker and parked.
Thankfully I had a garage, so I didn't have to deal with
it.

Old 08-27-2018, 02:56 PM

1,606 posts, read 2,963,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tammy c View Post
this guy parks in front of my house then walk down the road to the library some days he dose this and if he is not there he parks in front of the family that live kitty corner from me.he parks there so the paint on his car dont fade but he can easily park at the libary why do my kids have to park on my grass when they should be able to park in front of our house. any suggestion on how to stop him we have asked not to but to no a vale.
you no write good and you no also not own street so you no have say in hoo can park in front of house and you all so have no grasp of English language so you no write more threads until learn how to read and rite k thanks bye go away

Old 08-27-2018, 03:31 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,577,489 times
Free country. Unless your neighb is parking sticker restricted you're SOOL.

Old 08-27-2018, 03:50 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,425,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewackette View Post
As you can see from the majority of responses here, this is not about the law, but about manners.

And clearly the vast majority of people don't have any.

LOL

What, Precisely, is unmannerly about parking a vehicle where it's allowed? Please, explain in detail so I don't make some logical/common sense (yes, I know, about as common as tolerance for a differing opinion these days) mistake in my understanding.

Perhaps it's just something you, personally, don't like. In which case, sorry your First World life is so boresome that something like this manages to be an issue upon which you focus. Regardless, just because you find something not to your own, personal, taste does NOT mean that everyone else must feel the same way. Nor does it mean that others should change their own beliefs or actions just to accommodate you. That you're "outraged" over this happening to someone Else? Whew, approaching a whole new level of virtue signalling here.

Old 08-27-2018, 04:34 PM

15,439 posts, read 7,502,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
Seriously, you know a lawyer who would take such a case? How many lawsuits for harassment do you think actually succeed? To sue someone for calling the cops because you were sitting in your car for too long, however annoying the cop-caller may be, would be likely classified as a frivolous harassment suit, and would likely be tossed out and then you might suffer legal consequences yourself, including a fine.

Unfortunately for you and other car-squatters, the sympathies of the police and the courts will always be with homeowners concerned about vagrants or potential burglars hanging about the neighborhood. If you live on the street, the cops will be chill. But if you are from outside the neighborhood, the cops who answer the dispatch will be forced to investigate the person in the car and find out why they are sitting there, where do they live, is this their own vehicle, are there any outstanding liens on this vehicle, are there any outstanding warrants for you? They will probably let you off, but you don't really want to draw that kind of attention, so you are better off not to tempt fate. Go park at a mall.
I'll tell the cop to get lost, just like I always do. He has no probable cause to do anything to me. If he tells me to move on, I'll ask for a supervisor, and eat up an hour or so of cop time. Cops aren't God, they can't tell you what to do or where to go.

I can sue anyone I please pro se. It will cost me $140 where I live, and if the person I sue doesn't respond, I get a default judgement. If they lawyer up, they've spent some money, and I'll just drop the suit. Absolutely nothing the defendant can do in that situation. You cannot get fined for filing a lawsuit, no matter how frivolous, if you represent yourself. Lawyers might get sanctioned if it's really bad, but that's very rare.

Old 08-27-2018, 05:05 PM

1,660 posts, read 1,210,961 times
well if you wanted that parking space, maybe you should park a car there

Old 08-27-2018, 05:21 PM

19,058 posts, read 13,973,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
I'll tell the cop to get lost, just like I always do. He has no probable cause to do anything to me. If he tells me to move on, I'll ask for a supervisor, and eat up an hour or so of cop time. Cops aren't God, they can't tell you what to do or where to go.

I can sue anyone I please pro se. It will cost me $140 where I live, and if the person I sue doesn't respond, I get a default judgement. If they lawyer up, they've spent some money, and I'll just drop the suit. Absolutely nothing the defendant can do in that situation. You cannot get fined for filing a lawsuit, no matter how frivolous, if you represent yourself. Lawyers might get sanctioned if it's really bad, but that's very rare.
Above folks, we have an example of a what we call a sovereign citizen.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 08-27-2018, 06:29 PM

905 posts, read 791,599 times
It's a public street, you need to deal with it. Please find an actual, live, real issue to discuss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living