Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2022, 10:16 AM

6,909 posts, read 8,282,450 times

Advertisements

How cold is Denver in late winter- *March - compared to Sacramento?

How many Days of 30 degrees or below:

Denver: 24 days

Sacramento: Zero days

How warm is Sacramento in late winter - *March - compared to Denver?

How many Days of 60 degrees or above:

Sacramento: 30 days!

Denver: 12 days

*For March 2022
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2022, 12:10 PM

1,448 posts, read 1,571,470 times
Hey Chimerique,

Your comparisons are not fair in contrast places far away from Sacramento like Colorado and Oregon! That is like saying weather in Sacramento is better than Detroit. No shyte sherlock dude!

A better contrast is to take Los Angeles, San Diego and compare to bay area and Sacramento. Florida has way nicer weather than Sacramento except in summer.

Old 04-21-2022, 12:55 PM

It's not a matter of "fair", its a matter of FACT.

I compare Sacramento with Portland, Phoenix, Denver, Las Vegas, and Salt Lake City often because those metros are very similar and comparable to Sacramento in terms of places to relocate.

Their social-economics are very similar to the Sacramento Metro in terms of housing costs, educational attainment, income levels, etc.

Also, they are all in the WEST as is Sacramento, and since Sacramento is not on the coast itself (80 miles from it) more of a reason to compare to these other interior WESTERN metros.

Interesting, you say I should not compare Sacramento with the above western cities...and Detroit, yet you compare Sacramento with Florida which is clear-across the country. But since you mentioned Florida, I do compare Sacramento with Orlando, FL occasionally because of our similar size and socio-economics.

I compare Sacramento with LA, SD, and the Bay Area all the time, what are you talking.....

...but, typically, people leaving the Sacramento Metro permanently, don't consider consider moving to LA, SD, and the Bay Area because those California metros are way too expensive.

Old 04-22-2022, 07:19 PM

Dude you posted weather from Colorado and Portland! Far away different geo weather climes. Not going to get into pointless debate my good man.

Old 04-23-2022, 08:50 AM

3,473 posts, read 5,266,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
It's not a matter of "fair", its a matter of FACT.

I compare Sacramento with Portland, Phoenix, Denver, Las Vegas, and Salt Lake City often because those metros are very similar and comparable to Sacramento in terms of places to relocate.

Their social-economics are very similar to the Sacramento Metro in terms of housing costs, educational attainment, income levels, etc.

Also, they are all in the WEST as is Sacramento, and since Sacramento is not on the coast itself (80 miles from it) more of a reason to compare to these other interior WESTERN metros.

Interesting, you say I should not compare Sacramento with the above western cities...and Detroit, yet you compare Sacramento with Florida which is clear-across the country. But since you mentioned Florida, I do compare Sacramento with Orlando, FL occasionally because of our similar size and socio-economics.

I compare Sacramento with LA, SD, and the Bay Area all the time, what are you talking.....

...but, typically, people leaving the Sacramento Metro permanently, don't consider consider moving to LA, SD, and the Bay Area because those California metros are way too expensive.
I think your comparisons of western metro areas like the PNW, desert SW and mountain states is fair, for the reasons you mentioned. What you sometimes have to be careful about is comparing places in different time zones at the same time. And in the context of a relocation forum, I think any part of the continental United States is appropriate. Sometimes, we Californians get so myopic that we only compare things within our own state, where the differences seem really drastic when they are actually quite subtle when you start looking outside the state and realize we're all living in the 95+ percentile of climate and splitting hairs.

That being said, it surprises me that Sacramento in late April is having more consistent temperature ranges that we are in my part of San Diego, where I typically think of interior NorCal as having a bit more variability in the shoulder season as we transition out of the rainy and into the dry season. But it seems we've been having more of the ups and downs.

Well, right now, our weather snapshot is as identical as it can get:

Me: 46F, humidity 90%, W 3mph
Sac: 47F, humidity 86%, W 1 mph

Even our lows over the next 8 days are similar:

Me: 46-54F
Sac: 45-52F

But our high temps swing way wider:

Me: 70-88F (18F range)
Sac: 75-83F (8F range)

And it's been like that quite a bit over the past few weeks. I don't think Sacramento gets enough recognition of how steady the weather really is over much of the year. Enjoy perfection in the days ahead!

Old 04-25-2022, 11:06 AM

I still think that San Diego has best overall weather and in winter the Miami south Florida warm weather is great. If I was filthy rich, a winter condo in Miami beach and rest of year have a place in Encinitas or Del Mar.

Old 04-26-2022, 09:21 PM

3,473 posts, read 5,266,964 times
I largely agree, although the San Diego coast is a bit too cloudy for my liking (and many others we know). Was in Del Mar this morning, sunny but chilly, fog hanging right off the beach, and it was much nicer at our house a bit inland. When May Gray and June Gloom hit, we are usually just eat of the fog bank. But it does keep the summers mild, and the fall is lovely.

South Florida winters all the way!

Old 04-30-2022, 08:57 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,244,946 times
Quote:
Clarification:

A 80 or 90 degree day in the humid east, south and midwest would feel like our 90 or 100 degree day. When looking at high temperatures alone, Sacramento appears to be hotter, but actually is cooler because of the lack of high humidity in Sacramento. For example, Sacramento heat indices are often lower than the actual high temperature, a high of 90 degrees in Sacramento usually has a heat index of 87.

A city with higher humidity like Austin, TX will appear not as hot when looking at it's high temperature alone. Although it actually feels much hotter as the heat index would suggest. Often, 90 degrees in Austin, feels more like 95.
I know this is 9 years old..... Born and raised in Sacto, lived in the MidWest, New England, and now the Mid-Atlantic.

There is no comparison between the MidWest/Southern states and Sacramento. Yes, the actual air temp can be 80ËšF but with so much dang humidity it 'feels' like over 90. And if the actual air temp is 90 or higher.... total pits dude. Okay, maybe if we are speaking of warmth only. Because it just does not feel hot, it is sticky as heck... like you are in a constant, sticky, sauna. The air really does feel thick. You take a shower and go to dry off, two minutes later you are wet again from sweat. Stand outside in the shade doing nothing... more sweat like a mofo. The only way to escape it is with A/C. Sometimes being in a basement well help, too. Some people love it, but I have yet to get used to it and doubt I ever will. I'll take a 110ËšF Sacto summer day over hot and humid any time.

But hey, at least it rains all the time year round out this way.

But yes, if it were not for the humidity the MidWest and much of the East Coast would not be as hot as Sacramento.

Quote:

For what it is worth, Denver is nothing like Sacramento weather-wise. Also, while Denver, SLC, and Pheonix are west of the Mississippi River, you'd be hard pressed to find anyone from California who would think of these cities as western, and definitely not West Coast.

Old 05-05-2022, 07:41 PM

2,924 posts, read 2,013,883 times
Per Google at 6:30pm

Sacramento
69f 10mph wind

Fresno
85f 16mph wind

Bakersfield
90f 11mph wind

Vegas
91f 14mph wind

Phoenix
94f 7 mph wind

Old 05-05-2022, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbelievehim View Post
Per Google at 6:30pm

Sacramento
69f 10mph wind

Fresno
85f 16mph wind

Bakersfield
90f 11mph wind

Vegas
91f 14mph wind

Phoenix
94f 7 mph wind
Thanks for posting, Don't.

May 5, 6:30pm

South Lake Tahoe, CA - 58F
Yosemite Valley, CA - 65F
Awesome time to visit Yosemite, Waterfalls are full, cascading and brilliant. Merced River is beautiful this time of year. Yosemite Valley is a bloom and and still green. Hurry before the crowds and tourists descend upon it. Beginning May 20 you will need a reservation just to drive in the Valley. It's a free for all now, very little crowds, mild and cool temps in the valley. Fresh air, no smoke.

The top of Half Dome is not open yet as they have not put up the cables. Glacier Point Rd. is closed until May 2023, darn! But lots of climbers on El Capitan.

45 minutes from Yosemite Gate(s)
Groveland, CA - 65F
Mariposa, CA - 73F
Oakhurst, CA - 76F

We still have not done the trip south to Pismo via Fres. I wanted to hit Yosemite before the restrictions begin May 20.

From Sacramento, it took us only 2 hrs, 42 minutes via 99 down to Stockton, east up Highway 4 to Copperopolis, then south to O'Brynes Ferry Rd.; east to Highway 108/120 into Yosemite.

From Yosemite Valley, We also drove down Highway 140 to Mariposa (stayed at hotel), beautiful drive; and (different day) drove down Highway 41 to Oakhurst (stayed at hotel) just for the drive and to spend some time in those towns.

Back in Yosemite Valley for the remainder.

Last edited by Chimérique; 05-05-2022 at 09:21 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento