Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 02:00 PM

418 posts, read 784,725 times

Advertisements

Hmm, I suppose I should expect a knock on my door one
day with someone telling my I'm consuming too much space
for one person and that I need to start sharing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2011, 02:15 PM

4,287 posts, read 8,032,904 times
Wow. They have 130 square feet per person in a 10-person household. Seems about the same as I had in NYC, if not more. I just made the calculations on our current home: we have 740 square feet per person in the family...including the kids. But if you count just the adults, we have 1,110 square feet per person. Wow. I feel spoiled all of a sudden.

Texas has way too much available land.

That being said, OP, I commend you on your heart. If any code compliance revenue generators harass you again, you can point them toward their own regulations of requiring 60 square feet per person. (or whatever it was)

How do these people even get into the house? I would never allow some stranger to walk into my home like that. I'd have even thought they made the agency up!

Old 11-17-2011, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul56 View Post
Hmm, I suppose I should expect a knock on my door one
day with someone telling my I'm consuming too much space
for one person and that I need to start sharing.
That's happened before. Back in the.....USSR! You don't know how lucky you are, boy....

Old 11-17-2011, 05:28 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,745,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
Wow. They have 130 square feet per person in a 10-person household. Seems about the same as I had in NYC, if not more. I just made the calculations on our current home: we have 740 square feet per person in the family...including the kids. But if you count just the adults, we have 1,110 square feet per person. Wow. I feel spoiled all of a sudden.

That being said, OP, I commend you on your heart. If any code compliance revenue generators harass you again, you can point them toward their own regulations of requiring 60 square feet per person. (or whatever it was)

How do these people even get into the house? I would never allow some stranger to walk into my home like that. I'd have even thought they made the agency up!
Oh I can't take credit for the kindness... it's a friend of mine. As for how they discovered this, I don't know... they didn't go in the house. I think someone "told on" them and so code compliance came out. Code compliance gets anonymous calls all the time about this or that. Earlier this year they were up my butt about a car I have here that didn't have current tags, but the car is only visible (and barely, at that) from the alley. Yet a neighbor has an ugly upside-down bathtub in the front part of the front yard!

Old 11-17-2011, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabride View Post
Oh I can't take credit for the kindness... it's a friend of mine. As for how they discovered this, I don't know... they didn't go in the house. I think someone "told on" them and so code compliance came out. Code compliance gets anonymous calls all the time about this or that. Earlier this year they were up my butt about a car I have here that didn't have current tags, but the car is only visible (and barely, at that) from the alley. Yet a neighbor has an ugly upside-down bathtub in the front part of the front yard!
They can harass you about not having current tags? Wow. Pathetic. What did they do about it? Issue a citation or something? How do "code compliance" citations even work?

Old 11-18-2011, 08:00 AM

952 posts, read 2,635,221 times
wowwwwwwww only in America I suppose! there is no way your'e going to be told off for having that many people living in a house YOU OWN (just sayin) back in England...yeh yeh i know, different country, different laws etc... but I'll be damned for someone to tell me I am creating a health hazzard or putting my health at risk or the putting my family's health at risk.

I wonder if the couple living in the living room (who are homeless). what if these were family members as in relatives, will the comments be any different or your reactions be any different.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that if it were me and I am opening my living room up for a homeless couple or a relative I wouldn't give two ****s what people think or say, my house I should be able to do what I want with it when I want!

And this is supposed to be the land of the "FREE" ha too funny!
ok I will take that into consideration next time!

Old 11-18-2011, 09:55 AM

487 posts, read 992,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterCat View Post
as stated, to each his own. if theyre comfortable living like sardines, more power to em.

the situation you describe is akin to something illegal aliens would do, not your average working joe trying to help out a few homeless people.
I found this interesting website which has some data on what people has considered "adequate space" over the years. While I'm not sure I buy all the numbers (1954 looks suspicious) it shows that while households are getting smaller (i.e. less people) the average size of a single family home is getting larger and larger.

Inexpensive Home Building: House Square Feet Per Person: Surprisingly Little Needed

Also, perception is always affected by your surroundings. If you ask a New Yorker how much space is enough, they will likely give you a number which is much lower than what a Texan would tell you. When I tell my NYC friends that my family of four live in a 3,600sqft they always think I'm joking.'

I'm curious to see how the inspectors will determine which situatio is not "safe". New regulation doesn't seem to specify. Wonder if we are giving them too much power to arbitrarily decide

Old 11-18-2011, 11:16 AM

8,238 posts, read 10,729,447 times
Quote:

Man, then I am really in trouble. I have 966 sq/ft per person here. LOL if you just count the adults it is 1450 per person.

Old 11-18-2011, 11:48 AM

4,330 posts, read 7,239,240 times
Quote:
They can harass you about not having current tags? Wow. Pathetic. What did they do about it? Issue a citation or something?
City of San Antonio | Official Web Site - Code Enforcement Services Department

Old 11-18-2011, 11:52 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,624,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeptech210 View Post
Moderator cut: orphaned comment Tell the code compliance guy to **** off! Unless he has a solution to help! We live in America it is your right to do what you want on your property. Yeah it may be a hazard but it's her choice who cares! That's the problem with this city nobody minds there own.
sorry dude. i called CC on my neighbor last week to have his ugly, ford contour jolopy towed for expired registration AND inspection. how bad was it? 2+ years.

if he had kept it parked in front of his house, i wouldn't have cared but he decided to be a pen*s and park in front of my place the night before trash pickup... and as a result one of my cans wasnt picked up...

/get your damn cars inspected and registered!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio