Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 11:53 AM

2,569 posts, read 7,745,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
They can harass you about not having current tags? Wow. Pathetic. What did they do about it? Issue a citation or something? How do "code compliance" citations even work?
They technically could have pushed the issue to the point of forcing me to either get tags current, or get it out of there but in this case the Code Compliance officer was more reasonable and he only required that I be able to start it up to assure him it was not a "junked" vehicle. Once I was able to prove that it would start he was satisfied but I got lucky in that regard.

It was not "up on blocks" or with flat tires or any of that. Just a car I didn't drive, it's not even MY car in fact, belongs to a relative, and has some issues but I keep it clean and start it up regularly, but as it isn't even mine (and for reasons I won't get into, too long, I couldn't return it to my relative at the time) I didn't have the money to pay to get it all legal.

And yes, they will issue a citation, if it violates code and they want you to get it out of there and you don't, they can charge you something like $200 a day until it is gone and/or made legal, AND come and tow it away AND charge you for that too if you don't make it legal or remove it yourself or sufficiently "hide" it (i.e. put it in a garage or build a carport or whatever). It was all very stressful as I live in an old neighborhood where garages are not common at all. Just long, skinny driveways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2011, 11:55 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,624,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Before I bought my house, we lived in a 850 sqft apartment...hubby, myself, two kids, birds and the hedgehogs of course It works just fine if you're super-organized. My kids had cargo bunkbeds, the kind with the built-in dresser, desk and bookcase, and then they had a small chest of drawers, so there was plenty of play space in their room. Everything I owned had a place and I didn't keep anything that we didn't need.

Now I've got 1500 sqft plus a 400 sqft garage and we're ending up with lots of clutter. More space just equals more junk for the hubby...he bought a pool table for the dining room, since we eat at the kitchen table, and my garage is a disaster zone (which I refuse to clean alone) except for the corner where I keep my tools and work on my bikes.
i feel you on the stacked furniture. ive built a platform for my bed and also cut out slots for drawers. was able to eliminate the chest of drawers and make room for more quirky stuff.

when i can, i stack as much as i can. i build a lot of my own furniture (love woodworking) and try to get as much use out of the stuff i build (like the ability to store stuff underneath it by intentionally making it a lil higher than usual. works out well since im way taller than 6')

my mother in laws garage WAS a disaster area, but i went by a few weeks back and helped her organize half of it.

/still gotta do the other half...

//my mother in law rocks!

Old 06-29-2013, 09:50 PM

1 posts, read 1,229 times
I am looking for a phone number to talk to someone about an over crowded apartment in my building..
2 bedroom with 12 to 14 people including 5 kids (both boys and girls)
I talked to the complex management and they said as long as they pay there rent they will not bother them

Old 06-29-2013, 10:11 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,883,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojord6 View Post
I am looking for a phone number to talk to someone about an over crowded apartment in my building..
I talked to the complex management and they said as long as they pay there rent they will not bother them
Try calling 311 and see if they can help you, or tell you who to call.

Old 06-29-2013, 11:04 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,989,403 times
Quote:
Is it the noise you have issues with? If so then approach them or the manager about that specifically. If they aren't bothering you, why cause them trouble?? Do the kids look well fed and clean? Maybe they are having a hard time? And you want to add to it? The manager doesn't have a problem so apparently they aren't bothering others in the complex. I see the point of having numbers to the city to complain, at the same time that can be done with malicious intent and people don't even have to give their names. Most people these days have enough stress and worry without people trying to make another problem for them. Live and let live. Concentrate on helping others not making trouble.

Old 06-30-2013, 12:39 AM

2,569 posts, read 7,745,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
Is it the noise you have issues with? If so then approach them or the manager about that specifically. If they aren't bothering you, why cause them trouble?? Do the kids look well fed and clean? Maybe they are having a hard time? And you want to add to it? The manager doesn't have a problem so apparently they aren't bothering others in the complex. I see the point of having numbers to the city to complain, at the same time that can be done with malicious intent and people don't even have to give their names. Most people these days have enough stress and worry without people trying to make another problem for them. Live and let live. Concentrate on helping others not making trouble.
That's my thinking, especially since nothing was mentioned about what problem is they are or aren't causing.

I could not tell you the number of people in each apt. in my building. No clue, since none of them are bothering me.

Old 07-01-2013, 12:31 PM

229 posts, read 473,991 times
Call me crazy, but what is the definition of "single family home"? Just wondering.

San Antonio is bad about putting so much stuff on tiny lots with tiny setbacks...I hated our house being on a .2 acre lot and cars lined up and down the street. But...if you pick "living in the city", then it is what it is.

Old 07-01-2013, 01:57 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,480,242 times
Older neighborhoods in the city tend to have larger lots.

Old 07-04-2013, 07:16 AM

733 posts, read 1,047,747 times
Quote:
pretty sure thats against code. call 311 and report it. not only will it get handled, the landlord and/or management company is likely to be fined for allowing that to happen.

you could also call SAPD non-emergency and report 'something' at their apartment when everyones home. that will get the ball rolling a lot faster...

NTIWKAAT...

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
Is it the noise you have issues with? If so then approach them or the manager about that specifically. If they aren't bothering you, why cause them trouble??
well lets see. apartments/houses like that are one thing that causes rent to be raised on others through no fault of their own. trashy neighbors decimate an apartment? who do you think pays for the repair costs? YOU, or more specifically, the people of the apt community in the form of higher rent and fees.

then there's the health issue, the safety issues, and more and more and more. to put it bluntly: its not safe to have that many people in a 1-2 bedroom apt and its downright rude to your neighbours, especially if they live on the second floor and you're on the first.

me thinks your tune would change if they lived above you

Old 07-19-2013, 05:26 AM

216 posts, read 399,108 times
You might want to try CPS, child protective services. I'm sorry but I can't agree with the " live and let live" attitude expressed in some of the earlier replies. We are supposed to be a nation of laws and those laws were made for a reason, if you don't agree with the laws then do what you can to change them. These " live and let live" responders would probably be the first ones to jump on their cell phones and dial *DPS if they saw some person trying to enjoy a beer on their drive home but turn a blind eye to an apartment with 15 people living in it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio