Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2013, 09:00 AM

6,707 posts, read 8,780,002 times

Advertisements

Ever since this thread started, out of curosity....I was observing the driving behavior of all police cars on the road (SAPD, BCSD, etc)....and you know what each one of them failed to do?.....use their turn signal during lane changes...there really can't be any official police business to NOT use the turn signal. It is one of the most simple traffic requirements for driving safe.

If you don't belive me...watch them for yourself.

A lot of people break this law, not just the police....but not having the police do it must make it seem ok for everyone else to do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2013, 02:26 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,438,175 times
That's because they've got one hand on the wheel and the other is holding their cell phone. They can't operate the turn signal too!

Old 12-18-2013, 04:18 PM

349 posts, read 422,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTx View Post
Ever since this thread started, out of curosity....I was observing the driving behavior of all police cars on the road (SAPD, BCSD, etc)....and you know what each one of them failed to do?.....use their turn signal during lane changes...there really can't be any official police business to NOT use the turn signal. It is one of the most simple traffic requirements for driving safe.

A lot of people break this law, not just the police....but not having the police do it must make it seem ok for everyone else to do it.

That was one of my main points when I said a while back that the police force should be the models of obeying traffic laws, if they are going to enforce them.

For me its akin to what I was taught in army school, you cant enforce the rules if you dont follow them yourself.

Its maddening for me.

Old 12-18-2013, 05:28 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,391,907 times
Default 50%,

About half of the people out there shoudn't even have a driver's license.
Cut-offers , tail-gaters etc. Mulitple lane crossers. Sometimes the elderly can drive a litlle too conservatively for existing traffic conditions. They can be completely oblivious to hazards they are
creating around them too.

Old 12-18-2013, 05:45 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,878,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dastexan View Post
That was one of my main points when I said a while back that the police force should be the models of obeying traffic laws, if they are going to enforce them.

For me its akin to what I was taught in army school, you cant enforce the rules if you dont follow them yourself.

Its maddening for me.
To their credit never has a patrol car cut me off or did a lane change without signalling while in close proximity. Usually it is a few good car lengths.

Old 12-18-2013, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
To their credit never has a patrol car cut me off or did a lane change without signalling in close proximity. Usually it is a few good car lengths.

So that makes it ok?

Old 12-18-2013, 05:51 PM

6,707 posts, read 8,780,002 times
Quote:
To their credit never has a patrol car cut me off or did a lane change without signalling while in close proximity. Usually it is a few good car lengths.
I never said they cut me off or were in close proximity when I observed them changing lanes.

They just didn't use their turn signals.

Old 12-18-2013, 05:56 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,878,067 times
Not OK but not maddening either, at least to me. Right now at this moment someone is changing lanes without signalling, it does not affect me. Neither does any vehicle doing so far enough ahead of me to not pose a danger.

Just different thresholds and pet peeves for each of so not saying you are wrong or anything just a different perspective.

As for me, I always signal, sometimes even randomly in parking lots out of habit before realizing it was not necessary.

Old 12-18-2013, 05:59 PM

847 posts, read 2,232,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTx View Post

a few years back I would ride along now and then with an SAPD lifelong friend.

so one evening we're on IH 10 headed south into downtown, approaching 410.

I say - man you need to get over to the left.

he says - I'm trying to. they won't let me.

I say - they don't know you want to. you don't have your turn indicator on.

Old 12-18-2013, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Not OK but not maddening either, at least to me. Right now at this moment someone is changing lanes without signalling, it does not affect me. Neither does any vehicle doing so far enough ahead of me to not pose a danger.

Just different thresholds and pet peeves for each of so not saying you are wrong or anything just a different perspective.

As for me, I always signal, sometimes even randomly in parking lots out of habit before realizing it was not necessary.
same thing can be said about any number of traffic violations.

maybe when we all learn to drive they should give us a list of ones that are more important to follow than others, when its ok to not follow a traffic regulation and when its 'eh no big deal'

I know its not a big deal in the grand scheme of things. That's not exactly the point though.

The point is that those in charge (in this case the law), SHOULD be setting the example for us all to follow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio