Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 01:59 PM

4,437 posts, read 5,349,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by staunchcharacter View Post
Cops are there to enforce law, not necessarily to help those in need or are, at the heart of the issue, right. That's what endless lawsuits are for...

Keep that in mind and you'll always be okay. Mom's logic

I thought laws are written for our protection because somein our population aren’t cable of not causing harm to themselves or someoneelse.

Like the plate issues we are all discussing here in thisthread. I thought the point of this front plate law is to identify vehiclesfaster and easier? (even though a lot states don’t have the requirement andthey seem to be doing just fine)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2013, 04:39 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,087,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geargrinder70 View Post
... expect a cop to take the high road and become a snitch ...
That phrase is telling.

Old 12-03-2013, 05:56 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,878,067 times
Quote:
What would you consider police brutality? Would it be when a person resist arrest and is trying to hit the cop and the cops fights back to protect themselves, is that brutality? Is it when a person is resisting arrest and the cop pushes them into the ground to gain control over them, is that brutality in your view?
Police brutality is defined as exceeding what is prescribed in the use of force continuum. It can also include verbal coercion where violence is threatened when unwarranted.

Having an officer report a subject was resisting when they were not, ensuing in excessive use of force, would be the opposite view of that held in the quoted paragraph above.

Quote:
Just remember if you would go and ask anyone in jail if they are guilty I'm sure you will always get the same answer NO and most would try and claim police brutality. Does brutality ever occur, sure it does. Cops are human they make mistakes their frustration catches up with them and they over react just like we all do. Do they protect their own? I'm sure they do. How many workers at your place of employment go to the boss every time they see someone do something illegal or against the rules. I would guess none, but you would expect a cop to take the high road and become a snitch which would destroy any trust their fellow officers have for them. That is just not reality and never will be.
Which could explain why the public does not universally trust SAPD.

What is lacking is accountability when an officer breaks the rules and laws they swore to protect.

Old 12-03-2013, 06:37 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,409,476 times
I don't trust any PD...and my brother's HPD in Houston. Even HE doesn't!

Old 12-04-2013, 07:53 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,992,062 times
Yeah, all these "holier-than-thou" types would quickly change their minds the first time they were punched, kicked and/or spat on during an arrest. I am sure most would respond a lot less professionally than the officers they are so quick to criticize, which is the irony of this thread...

Old 12-04-2013, 09:15 AM

1,175 posts, read 1,438,175 times
That doesn't explain why people who weren't, punched, kicked and spat on get abused. I've seen a few videos just the past couple of weeks of officers that went way overboard pretty much unprovoked. Just because they weren't being respected.
Two of the videos were pretty old, but I did some research and was unable to find any disciplinary action taken in either case.

So if there's video and nothing's being done, I have to wonder how often these rotten cops are getting away with it without any video at all.

So, as long as this kind of stuff is allowed to go on, there is going to be a large portion of the population that isn't going to trust the police. They're one of the only portions of the population that can ********* and get away with it. Heck, probably get you charged and convicted of something you didn't do in the process.

Old 12-04-2013, 10:47 AM

243 posts, read 333,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prim8 View Post
That doesn't explain why people who weren't, punched, kicked and spat on get abused. I've seen a few videos just the past couple of weeks of officers that went way overboard pretty much unprovoked. Just because they weren't being respected.
Two of the videos were pretty old, but I did some research and was unable to find any disciplinary action taken in either case.

So if there's video and nothing's being done, I have to wonder how often these rotten cops are getting away with it without any video at all.

So, as long as this kind of stuff is allowed to go on, there is going to be a large portion of the population that isn't going to trust the police. They're one of the only portions of the population that can ********* and get away with it. Heck, probably get you charged and convicted of something you didn't do in the process.
Pretty much unprovoked? That line says it all for your opinion. Why would you want to provoke them at any level?

Old 12-04-2013, 11:49 AM

1,175 posts, read 1,438,175 times
Does it? If I tell the cop he's a dirtbag, should he then be able to beat me?

Someone with that much power needs to be held to a much higher standard and I'm sure they are most of the time.
Abuse of that power is still happening way too much I bet.

Last edited by prim8; 12-04-2013 at 11:53 AM.. Reason: edited to add something

Old 12-04-2013, 12:36 PM

243 posts, read 333,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prim8 View Post
Does it? If I tell the cop he's a dirtbag, should he then be able to beat me?

Someone with that much power needs to be held to a much higher standard and I'm sure they are most of the time.
Abuse of that power is still happening way too much I bet.
So do you consider verbal assault as acceptable? If you do then maybe that's the problem. You must believe you have the right to say anything you want anytime you want and should be protected from any repercussions from doing so. Should he be able to beat you no not at all, but I would not be opposed to them arresting you for disorderly conduct in such a situation and if you resist arrest well then it's on you. The problem with a lot of people is they think the time to argue their case is right there on the street. Yea if I just get into this dirtbag cops face he will let me go. I really hope you don't feel that way because you will never help yourself or win your case. Yes they are held to a higher standard, but with all of the innocent guilty folks out there who constantly file false complaints after a while I can see where they would not give the complaints much consideration. Again they are just humans with faults and emotions just like the rest of us and as such should be given the same respect that you would wish to be given.

Old 12-04-2013, 04:22 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,391,907 times
Default Jailtime,

Call the Cop a dirtbag? Cuff him. These officers have enough to handle already with-out acrimonious,
sarcastic attacks. I am sure they deal with enough Tomfoolery daily, without us adding to it.QUOTE=prim8;32482291]Does it? If I tell the cop he's a dirtbag, should he then be able to beat me?

Abuse of that power is still happening way too much I bet.[/quote]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio