Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2008, 07:14 AM

3,109 posts, read 9,841,439 times

Advertisements

Then there's Sholtz Beer Garden that has been around since 1863. I was there for the centennial in 1963.

Old 04-17-2008, 08:18 PM

77 posts, read 263,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
Remember when Kelly AFB was up and running? That was like the premier place to work in San Antonio. I remember too when USAA was like Ft Knox as far as getting on there--you had to know someone who knew someone. I got a call out of the blue from them last month calling ME for an interview. They got my resume off Monster.

Remember when Windcrest was considered "uppity"? They did have the coolest Christmas displays, though. Do they still do that?

Does anyone remember when American Airlines announced they were coming here--it turned out to be a call center and they paid their people like $6 an hour or something. Everyone was so excited at first!

Remember Henry Cisneros singing about the Alamodome? Dome, dome, dome, dome, dome, Al-a-mo-dome??? Remember the big scare when his son was born with the defective heart? Remember the Linda Medlar thing?

Remember when the pope visited?
I remember getting kicked outof that bowling alley on Kelly called SPARE TIME(the Ghopher hole)

Old 04-17-2008, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I remember Joe Anthony. Supposedly he discovered some major bands and gave them their first airplay.

I liked the Worst Show and another one called the Hondo Show, which may still be on the air believe it or not.
Remember Z-rock trying to move in to the rock scence? I also remember the Doppelganger show on publc access, i used to work wit the crazy long-haired dude called dave and used to play street fighter with kimmy at the diversions game room on fred road.

Old 04-17-2008, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 940 View Post
Randy's Rodeo is still there off Bandera and Hillcrest, however it's now called Randy's Ballroom, I believe. Not sure when it stopped including "Rodeo" in its name. I'm too young to have gone but I remember my older sister and her friends wanting to go there in the late 70's to see the old English punk band The Sex Pistols in one of their very few US appearances at that time.
Listing to KITY FM and being angry that i could never get on JAMMING with sonny meledrez, "OH WELL" my friend said "WE WILL JUST MAKE THE SCENCE AT IMAGE SOUTH or RUMERS TONIGHT"!

Old 04-17-2008, 08:33 PM

Anybody remember RUMORS teen club (at Las Palmas) or IMAGE SOUTH?
NO? A lot of NW and NE siders here? Well i remember being run out of LA VILLLITA for break dancing. OH YEAH COLOR THE WEATHER RULED!!!
SOOO MANY memories of dragging my mom and her drunken co-workers out of MICKEY Finns on fred road and sometime SKRATCH where Kinko's stands on 410!!

Old 04-17-2008, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dementia_Impaled View Post
irnag ~ The DMZ was on Cupples Rd, about a mile from the exit from 90 east on the left side. Was painted black and had a large bullseye/vortex design on the front with 'DMZ' on it. There used to be mirrors on the walls when you walked in until about '90/'91, when my brother & some friends crashed into them after spinning out of the pit during a show. *sighs* The last show I went to there was GG Allin's last tour.

If it was the Bone I went to, it was in May '83..had a blue mohawk & wore a sparkly blue crash helmet in the pit *shakes head*.

Image, iirc, closed about 1992, Wacky's about '93 or '94; October 31 of '93 my 1970 Maverick was trashed during a show; long story behind that. Never going to forget it, either. I used to park it right next to the club, between the orange road cones.
riona ~ I remember Rick, lol! I also remember when KISS had 'Metal Shop-The Show With Teeth'. I recall when Y100 replaced KLLS with the countdown beeping. Wasn't there a 92.8 or 93.8 FM during the late '80s/early '90s that played Cure songs so much that KSYM refused to play them?

Ozzy ~ Yes! That's where it was! I've been wracking my brain, trying to picture where the heck it was; didn't have much to go on other than the hill. Now I just have to track down some newspaper articles.

The last true 'mini mall' that sort-of still exists that I know of is on W.W. White Rd, a bit down from Rigsby. In it's heyday it boasted La Feria and Winn's, a woman's clothing boutique, a record store, and a very nice Handy Andy. Gods, but I miss Winn's; Alco-Duckwall in Devine is a pale comparison...Shopper's City Mall on SW Military used to be a mini-mall, but they've all but done away with the interior portions, sectioning them off to the existing businesses.

Also, wasn't that Ramada touted as the 'Airport Convention Center' at one point? I remember when they tore it down. Went to quite a few comic book conventions there.
WOW! My 72 MAverick met the same fate at a Tacoland gig! Those clowns the SONS of HERCULES and the HICKOIDs were always throwing junk on my MAVERICK!!! OH YEAH! Remember The Dungon on Fred road which later became Les Harris on San Pedro? -A fellow comic book lover

Old 04-17-2008, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minz View Post
I no longer live in SA but I did live there for 30 years.
Regarding Earl Abel's...isn't that where Henry B Gonzales punch some guy because he was bugging Mr. Gonzales.

No disrespect to Henry B...I was just trying to think if that is where it happened.

I loved going to Earl Abel's because it was like walking into a time warp. Has anyone been to the new one on Austin Hwy? Any comments on it?
The guy called Henry B. a communist! YEAH Earl ables made me feel like a mob hit was gonna go down!

Old 04-17-2008, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jer32 View Post
Found this thread via Google and have spent the last few hours reading. I grew up in SA from age 6-22. My family and I arrived in 81. My first memory was going to Ingram Park Mall and seeing a McDonald's INSIDE the mall. I'd never seen that before. I remember going to see movies at Century South Theater. Remember the mob riot at South Park Mall when Menudo had an appearance there? I went to 2 high schools (Southwest & Fox Tech) my freshman year ('90) at SW we beat John Jay in football by a field goal and it was like a big thing cause that was our first year playing the Northside schools in sports and we went into it feeling like we were gonna get crushed. Then when I was a Sr. at Tech we were the first HS to play a game in the Alamodome. Also I remember when the Bonham ran radio ads and when KTFM would do live broadcasts from Rock Island. I remember watching the teen dance show Jammin on channel 5 on Saturdays.
SO ANGRY i never got on JAmming! ITS COOL , made the scence at RUMOURS and IMAGE SOUTH! I always wonderd what it was like at that old club Sharah South? LOL!!

Old 04-17-2008, 09:52 PM

847 posts, read 2,232,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primo View Post

Yes that was the name. If I remember correctly ,
I believe they had a big blue marlin on a sign or painted on the place?

I wonder how many bars have continuously operated for 30 years + and are still open?
The Esquire is obvious.
Mid-night Rodeo has been around almost that long.
Casbeers?
Hills and Dales?

Yep the OutDoorsMan.

I had forgotten about the big fish on the sign.
Thanks for the reminder.
I see it perfectly clearly in my mind right now.

operated for 30 years +....... hmmnhhnm???

I do believe most of those are long gone.
The ones you mention.....

and???

The Texan, already on the record here.

M. K. Davis - near NorthSide on N. Flores.
(maybe more considered as eating establishment)

I think there are a couple on Fred Rd,
south of Woodlawn, don't know the names.

What's the name of the bar in the Menger Hotel.
I think it's been around for a hundred plus years.

Gotta be at least a few more DownTown.

Lotta bars been around as bars 30+,
but, with frequent name changes.

The Blue Room was there on San Pedro for quite awhile.
Not sure, I think it is gone now.
Next door, to the South was 281 Ice House.
It maybe gone now as well.

That's quick, off the top of my head -

Others??..................

mud

Old 04-17-2008, 09:53 PM

847 posts, read 2,232,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gy2020 View Post
Then there's Sholtz Beer Garden that has been around since 1863.
I was there for the centennial in 1963.

Don't recall Sholtz Beer Garden.

What street was it on??

mud
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio