Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 08:39 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
La Sierra Park, spent many an afternoon playing baseball and basketball there. Those little "bling, bling" ice cream and snowcone men (you know who I'm talking about, I'm sure they come through your neighborhood )
Sí mon, el paletero.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2010, 08:45 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Sí mon, el paletero.
I miss them. These days I have to go across town and hope I stumble upon one.

Old 08-11-2010, 12:54 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times
Quote:
Yep, quite the drive across town to get there though. The OP should have no business in that area.

There were gangs where I lived in Corona (Home Gardens ), I was surprised to not find any when I moved to Riverside.
I think they are there, you just don't see them. I lived across from the Walmart on Van Buren and there were gang markings all over the place. You didn't see gang activity other than that and nobody every bothered me. Eastside, yes, and Home Gardens is bad, but a lot of areas appear to be "claimed" but if you aren't part of a gang you'll not notice them.

Before I moved, though, there was a great increase in the druggies. Also more thefts and odd people wandering around high at night. The apartment had a lot of empties and they would stay there at night and vacate before day. One reason I was glad to get out of there.

Old 08-11-2010, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I think they are there, you just don't see them. I lived across from the Walmart on Van Buren and there were gang markings all over the place. You didn't see gang activity other than that and nobody every bothered me. Eastside, yes, and Home Gardens is bad, but a lot of areas appear to be "claimed" but if you aren't part of a gang you'll not notice them.
What's all this talk about Van Buren? "The area around LSU" is far enough away from any part of Van Buren to not be included in this discussion IMO. We've already concluded that Arlanza has gangs. Living "near LSU", like say on or off Pierce, Riverwalk Pkwy, Magnolia, or La Sierra would be more than fine.

I lived in Home Gardens (Grant St) up until intermediate school, and encountered gangs daily (though I would have no problem in living there again ). When I moved to the La Sierra area of Riverside (91/Pierce) I did not encounter these thugs at all, not at school, not on the way to school, not out and about, not at the mall (though I'm sure there were some there). If one keeps their wits about them, they'll be fairly safe anywhere.

Let's put it this way, if the OP stays in Riverside west of La Sierra, he'll be fine. There are no "bad neighborhoods" there.

Old 08-12-2010, 01:24 AM

2 posts, read 9,709 times
It's also worth pointing out the area immediately surrounding La Sierra University is a master planned community called Riverwalk (land that was once owned by the university) that consists of residential, medical, and commercial uses such as retail and office. Not all of Riverwalk has been realized yet, but construction of the "active adult" residential development (i.e., assisted living and retirement apartments) north of Sierra Vista Avenue appears to have picked up again.

The residential options in Riverwalk include a large medium-high-density multi-family residential development. They are "luxury" apartments, but comparatively affordable. Approximately 1,022 detached single-family residences of various pricing that appeals to middle and upper middle class. The nicer homes are in the gated communities off of Collett Avenue between Riverwalk Parkway and Golden Avenue. There's also a mobile home retirement community that's tucked away and barely noticeable.

Riverwalk is anchored by two 4-story office buildings. Due to the timing of the completion of these buildings and our recent recession, these office buildings have only a few tenants; however, the exteriors and landscaping are well maintained. There is also a recently-opened hotel and restaurants located north of the office buildings. Also, there is vacancy in other buildings that have been designated for medical office uses. As the economy improves, so will the commercial retail presence in Riverwalk.

There are also other features to Riverwalk that are pedestrian-oriented, such as the dirt track along Collett Avenue and Golden Avenue for running, exercise equipment along Riverwalk Parkway (nothing fancy), a half-court for basketball, and a very well-landscaped "river" with fish also along Riverwalk Parkway that has proven a very popular place for photo sessions. Oh, and there are two "bark parks" - one for little dogs, the other for big dogs.

Lastly, as you might suspect by the nature of La Sierra University, there is a strong Seventh-Day Adventist presence in the area and some of the local retailers are closed on Saturday. Fortunately, First Class Pizza is not one of those places. Their pizza is amazing.

That pretty much sums up Riverwalk at least. La Sierra at large is an older community primarily of residential uses save for development along Magnolia Avenue. There are old neighborhoods that could use some attention and might qualify by some to be considered blighted. However, it's a fine neighborhood/community in the City of Riverside.

Old 08-12-2010, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEtoDC View Post
It's also worth pointing out the area immediately surrounding La Sierra University is a master planned community called Riverwalk (land that was once owned by the university) that consists of residential, medical, and commercial uses such as retail and office. Not all of Riverwalk has been realized yet, but construction of the "active adult" residential development (i.e., assisted living and retirement apartments) north of Sierra Vista Avenue appears to have picked up again.

The residential options in Riverwalk include a large medium-high-density multi-family residential development. They are "luxury" apartments, but comparatively affordable. Approximately 1,022 detached single-family residences of various pricing that appeals to middle and upper middle class. The nicer homes are in the gated communities off of Collett Avenue between Riverwalk Parkway and Golden Avenue. There's also a mobile home retirement community that's tucked away and barely noticeable.

Riverwalk is anchored by two 4-story office buildings. Due to the timing of the completion of these buildings and our recent recession, these office buildings have only a few tenants; however, the exteriors and landscaping are well maintained. There is also a recently-opened hotel and restaurants located north of the office buildings. Also, there is vacancy in other buildings that have been designated for medical office uses. As the economy improves, so will the commercial retail presence in Riverwalk.

There are also other features to Riverwalk that are pedestrian-oriented, such as the dirt track along Collett Avenue and Golden Avenue for running, exercise equipment along Riverwalk Parkway (nothing fancy), a half-court for basketball, and a very well-landscaped "river" with fish also along Riverwalk Parkway that has proven a very popular place for photo sessions. Oh, and there are two "bark parks" - one for little dogs, the other for big dogs.

Lastly, as you might suspect by the nature of La Sierra University, there is a strong Seventh-Day Adventist presence in the area and some of the local retailers are closed on Saturday. Fortunately, First Class Pizza is not one of those places. Their pizza is amazing.

That pretty much sums up Riverwalk at least. La Sierra at large is an older community primarily of residential uses save for development along Magnolia Avenue. There are old neighborhoods that could use some attention and might qualify by some to be considered blighted. However, it's a fine neighborhood/community in the City of Riverside.
Wow, to think that used to be a cow patch not too long ago.

Old 08-13-2010, 12:18 AM

2 posts, read 9,709 times
Quote:
Wow, to think that used to be a cow patch not too long ago.
It's been a great development project overall that is pretty much its own niche in the community. You don't really need to travel far to get the necessities either. While I'm still partial to downtown Riverside, Riverwalk is a great choice for those with suburban sympathies that don't mind a reasonable density increase.

Here's a link to some images of Riverwalk (the photographer didn't get very deep into the area, but it's something): Flickr: Search zIDEAz's photostream (http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=Riverwalk&w=84269601%40N00 - broken link)

Appears HTML is off. Oh well. You can copy/paste that url.

Old 08-14-2010, 09:55 PM

2 posts, read 5,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay in LA View Post
Is this a good area, around the La Sierra University?

Thanks for any info.
The La Sierra area is beautiful and calm you will really enjoy it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties