Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 10:19 PM

181 posts, read 685,148 times

Advertisements

Lived here my whole life. Just speaking from experience.

Old 09-24-2009, 10:21 PM

70 posts, read 207,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brittanykayy View Post
California isnt for everybody. I guess to be happy in the IE you have to like heat, desert, track homes, and smog. I prefer cool weather, green trees, clean air, and homes with character.
I get where you are coming from, I really do. I am inclined to think that you are not snobby or arrogant, but rather someone that has lived in the same place for all of her life and is dying to get out.

Good luck with your move. We are moving to the PNW as well, but not by choice (though I'm excited for the adventure).

I've enjoyed my time in So Cal though. Lived in SD, OC and IE. Loved them all. Don't love the architecture, but can appreciate the great things; the weather (even the summer is mild compared to many places and the winters are fabulous). Proximity to 2 major cities. Beaches, mountains, wineries... I've lived in many places and this is not one that I'd call horrible...

Old 09-24-2009, 10:23 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,985,158 times
Seattle has a 405 too... and it's quite possibly as bad or worse than the L.A. 405.

Old 09-24-2009, 10:38 PM

Addie Jane ______________

Exactly Thank you !!! Good luck with your move as well.

Old 09-24-2009, 10:38 PM

191 posts, read 586,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AddieJane View Post

I've enjoyed my time in So Cal though. Lived in SD, OC and IE. Loved them all. Don't love the architecture, but can appreciate the great things; the weather (even the summer is mild compared to many places and the winters are fabulous). Proximity to 2 major cities. Beaches, mountains, wineries... I've lived in many places and this is not one that I'd call horrible...
+1. We had the bug to move out of state a number of times. Came very close to doing Colorado and backed out. Perhaps we will one day, Oregon is a possibility.

But for all its setbacks, California is truly an amazing place. No other state offers the geographic and climate diversity. You just have to get out there to enjoy it all. Speaking of which, time to plan our annual fall trips to Yucaipa, Julian, and Tehachapi!

The OP can shake her/his head, but I'd be willing to bet once the mystique and adventure wear off, you'll find that your problems follow you whereever you go. Every place has its "missing tiles (http://jontowey.blogspot.com/2008/04/missing-tile-syndrome.html - broken link)." I hope I am wrong but I'm sure I am not alone in this belief.

Good luck.

Old 09-24-2009, 10:41 PM

Just to clarify, I will be moving to the Seattle area. Not Seattle. Either way, the traffic there is nothing like Cali's. If it gets a little congested, at least the scenery is beautiful and I can roll down my windows. And I am aware everywhere has its ups and downs. As long as the heat, smog, barren land and track homes don't follow me to Washington- I'll be pleased

Old 09-25-2009, 07:37 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,888,240 times
Quote:
It's a horrible place to live. So Cal is bad enough, but why would you pick the slummiest part ? It's ghetto, trashy, dirty, HOT, has horrible air quality. I've lived here almost my whole life. There is nothing to do. No outdoor activities. Everything is brown, no trees. It's hell. If anyone is considering moving to the IE, save yourself a lot of unhappiness, and don't do it. If you MUST (God help you) pick Murrieta. It's the nicest of the IE. Although thats not saying much.
Why are you still living there if it is all bad? You are still very young, think the grass is greener on the other side and I would add very opinionated to the point of over exagerating things.

It isn't my favorite part of the state either, but nothing like you say. No, the entire area is not ghetto. You have lived there your entire life, you certainly realize how big the IE is. There are also many parts with lots of trees and very upscale neighborhoods. Rancho C is awesome as is Upland, La Verne, Claremont (all in the west part of the IE) Palm Springs and the surrounding areas are wonderful but yes, very hot in the summer. The mountains are as nice as moutains anywhere in the country and I have lived in many states with mountains. No, getting to Arrowhead and Big Bear isn't as awful as you say. I wonder how many times you have even been there? What about Mt Baldy? Do I have to continue naming places that are very popular and anything but dirty and ghetto?

It sounds like you really need to get out and see the world. Now I see you are getting out. Wa is a beautiful state, that is true but believe me, not seeing the sun for days on end has a way of being very demoralizing. Why do you think the highest suicide rate (or at one time anyway) is in Seattle?

You do sound like it will be a good fit for you, but you are also living in a dream world if you think it will be all peaches and cream with little traffic, neat homes that are not tract, etc. The neat homes are almost, if not as expensive to rent or buy as So Ca and they are in Seattle, not the surrounding area as you say you are moving to. Oh, I hope you already have a job lined up. It will be awfully cold if you have to live on the street..

Nita

Last edited by nmnita; 09-25-2009 at 07:54 AM..

Old 09-25-2009, 09:04 AM

I am still here because I love my parents dearly, (who live in the IE due to my fathers job in Redlands but also want to leave this state) and I waited to finish college. I've been to Lake Arrowhead, Big Bear, Mt Baldy. I've seen it all. Been to every city. I stayed in many hotels and had many trips to many places. I am always "out". For 12 years I was on a dance team, in an orchestra, and have done modeling- all which require quite a bit of "getting out". Not to mention all of the family trips. The mountains are ok, but they are still pretty boring. Still So California atmosphere. Nothing special. And, just to get the facts straight from a couple comments above- Seattle actually has less rain than Miami, and New York. The homes in Washington are beautiful. Even the little tiny cheap ones(I have found plenty to rent for around $600 a month). Right now I am paying $1100 a month for a dumb apartment in the IE. About that job, I am sure I will find one pretty quick. I am smart enough to have a three month reserve "just in case" but I highly doubt I will have any problems. I've already sent my resume to a few places and received interest from every single employer.

Old 09-25-2009, 09:15 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,888,240 times
Quote:
I am still here because I love my parents dearly, (who live in the IE due to my fathers job in Redlands but also want to leave this state) and I waited to finish college. I've been to Lake Arrowhead, Big Bear, Mt Baldy. I've seen it all. Been to every city. I stayed in many hotels and had many trips to many places. I am always "out". For 12 years I was on a dance team, in an orchestra, and have done modeling- all which require quite a bit of "getting out". Not to mention all of the family trips. The mountains are ok, but they are still pretty boring. Still So California atmosphere. Nothing special. And, just to get the facts straight from a couple comments above- Seattle actually has less rain than Miami, and New York. The homes in Washington are beautiful. Even the little tiny cheap ones(I have found plenty to rent for around $600 a month). Right now I am paying $1100 a month for a dumb apartment in the IE. About that job, I am sure I will find one pretty quick. I am smart enough to have a three month reserve "just in case" but I highly doubt I will have any problems. I've already sent my resume to a few places and received interest from every single employer.
I guess it would be something to be young and foolish again. First of all, it isn't the rain but the overcast skies that bother people, second, you say WA has less rain than Miami. You can't measure a state with a city. You have seen cute places to rent for $600 a month, have you actually been in these places or seen them on the net? You have 3 months reserve, do you have any idea how long it might take you to get a job? Seattle is hurting as well as most parts of the country. I have serious doubts you have had interest from every resume you have sent. If this is the case, you need to share your secret with the world.

Sorry to be so negative, but you are living in a total dream world. I actually feel sorry for you. If you were my child I would do everything I could to get you to reconsider. I certainly would advise you not to even think of moving without having a job, not a prospect but a true contract. Of course if you were my child you wouldn't be thinking of moving without a job anyway.

It appears you have your mind made up, you are not going to listen to anyone and really think you will live a wonderful life forever as long as you get out of boring So Ca. I wonder what you think there is to do in Seattle you can't do in So California?

Nita

Old 09-25-2009, 09:24 AM

24 posts, read 83,172 times
I am in a hell-hole called Hemet. Although there are very nice parts of the IE like Riverside, Redlands, Chino Hills etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties