Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 02:30 PM

354 posts, read 385,740 times

Advertisements

and, for anyone else wondering, my moving date is June 10. 81 days to go!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2013, 03:27 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,386,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by divagotstyle07 View Post
I think this is a case of someone wanting to hear "you were right" haha ;-)

but anyway, I will be in SD for 9 months, and I'll be in Texas for 6. The question was do I want to make $20k more than I would in Ohio, Chicago, New York, San Diego, etc and take this job with amazing benefits, bonuses, amazing reputation, paid meals/truck/hotels/living expenses/relocation expenses, or do I want to make a normal pay range and not have all those add ons? So yes, as you and others said, sometimes you just have to pay your dues to afford a house in SD near the beach. I'll be working for 3 years and on the beach by 27, without struggling paying for rent, etc.

like you said, all in all a happy ending-- but I prefer to look at it as beginning.
Again a big kudos and congrats to you Divagotstyle! No, it's not a matter of me wanting to hear I was right. It's GREAT if you can live here for 9 months. That is wonderful. And actually I think you are doing the smart thing taking this job vs. possibly one that is permanently based in San Diego in the beginning with a lower salary.

While my college buddies moved out to San Diego after college, I moved to Texas and don't regret it for a second because ALL of them have moved out of San Diego and now I've moved to San Diego PERMANENTLY and that wouldn't have been possible unless I moved to Texas right out of school, made bigger bucks, banked more savings and climbed up the corporate ladder.

Definitely a happy ending and congratulations.

Old 03-21-2013, 05:12 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,777,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyretirement View Post
...I'm no engineer but I met a few that just started out and they don't all seem that thrilled with their salaries in SD. I guess much probably depends on what type of engineer you are...
"I'm no engineer". This statement sums it all up. I am an engineer as is the OP. As I stated and posted a link about, San Diego is not that bad for engineers. Opportunities and salaries are quite good. I am not going to comment on other jobs in San Diego because I have no direct experience with them and am not interested in non engineering jobs in San Diego nor elsewhere. This thread was specifically about engineers. Yes it does vary according to the type of engineer. Software Engineers are in the heaviest demand just about everywhere.

There are always going to be people that will complain about lack of opportunity, etc. instead of making the effort in pursuing their dream. You make your own opportunities whether you are in San Diego or wherever.

Old 03-22-2013, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyretirement View Post
Again a big kudos and congrats to you Divagotstyle! No, it's not a matter of me wanting to hear I was right. It's GREAT if you can live here for 9 months. That is wonderful. And actually I think you are doing the smart thing taking this job vs. possibly one that is permanently based in San Diego in the beginning with a lower salary.

While my college buddies moved out to San Diego after college, I moved to Texas and don't regret it for a second because ALL of them have moved out of San Diego and now I've moved to San Diego PERMANENTLY and that wouldn't have been possible unless I moved to Texas right out of school, made bigger bucks, banked more savings and climbed up the corporate ladder.

Definitely a happy ending and congratulations.
Wow that's great!! Definitely a matter of planning for the future and occasionally biting the bullet! I will be very happy to be in the same position as you in a couple years!!

Old 03-22-2013, 11:39 AM

50,320 posts, read 47,069,940 times
SE/Architect jobs salary in SD can vary quite a bit. I actually feel underpaid compared to some of the people I used to work with that have moved on to businesses like Sempra. My Company does offer a pension and feels stable so I chose that over chasing top dollar.

Old 03-22-2013, 12:43 PM

128 posts, read 179,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
SE/Architect jobs salary in SD can vary quite a bit. I actually feel underpaid compared to some of the people I used to work with that have moved on to businesses like Sempra. My Company does offer a pension and feels stable so I chose that over chasing top dollar.
I can't blame you - I know some people that worked in the public sector and are enjoying a very comfortable retirement.

Old 03-22-2013, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
A pension is worth an absolutely FORTUNE these days. Anyone that has a chance or close to getting a pension is VERY fortunate. Especially if it includes healthcare coverage.

Pensions are like dinosaurs these days. If you can get one that's worth a fortune. Kudos to you 1ATP if your company doesn't get rid of them before you retire.

Old 09-02-2013, 02:41 AM

So just thought I'd update with what I've been up to lately...moved to Chula Vista in late July in preparation for my job starting up sept 1, fell absolutely in love with everything here (as I knew I would)....so much so that im dreading leaving! My company pushed back the start date, without mentioning it until I was all geared up to go and wondering where to report. The new start date is A MONTH after they originally told me. So, I now have 1 more month of freedom, and I will be trying my hardest to find an engineering job (or any job for that matter that pays 50k...yes I would be taking a pay cut to be able to stay here!) that is based out of SD. So, the process starts all over again for the next 30 days. It's not the training in texas im concerned about, but the 2 year contract after the training....which could be in some place miserable!

Here we go again...

But really, we all knew it would end up this way! If anyone has any direction, contacts, or ideas on landing a job in the next 30 days, I'm all ears!!!

Old 09-02-2013, 09:28 AM

Thanks for keeping us posted Diva. It's not often that people take the time to do that so it's greatly appreciated and helpful to other new posters.

I'm glad you enjoy San Diego like you knew you would. Just out of curiosity, have you been looking for a new job since you got here in late July? Or just starting now? OK..good luck and keep us posted how things go.

Old 09-02-2013, 09:47 AM

Just starting now. I was having the feeling of impending doom about leaving...then realized I wasnt actually pro-actively trying for something else. This all came about when my company pushed back the start date another month, and then I got a call the same day for a job from a lady I had talked to in March. It gets paid by piece work so I didnt take it bc I need something more reliable than that. But it got the wheels turning that day, and made me wonder.

And of course I would update!! The advice I got here has been SO helpful!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego