Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 03:33 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,909,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
Funny the disconnect that seems to be here between people who post on this site and that ranking (done by Men's Health). It always seems like people on this site talk about how it's impossible to meet new people in San Diego.

And the best city for dating is .... - MSN Living
A lot of people seem to sit at home and wonder why people don't come to them. If you want to make something happen then you have to put effort into it and that means going out and making it happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2013, 02:55 AM

6,562 posts, read 12,057,994 times
Well my city Atlanta is #1 , but I didn't have problems in "Man Diego" either.

One thing about both Atlanta and San Diego is a car is required for dating, not to impress the girls but as the article mentioned about Atlanta, both cities are spread out and there are limited public transit options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstieber View Post
Surprised that the down-to-Earth women you met were the ones from LA. This debunks SD's stereotype of LA'ers as being vain and shallow. But I suppose there's a reason these LA women were going to SD to date, which is that people in SD are generally easygoing.
LA is a city of contrasts and contradictions, with extremes. There are extremely stuck-up and shallow girls there, but there are also extremely easy girls.

Old 02-12-2013, 11:45 AM

1,665 posts, read 2,975,820 times
If you live in generic suburbia yes, you do need a car. And yes, your dating options will be less than for someone who lives in a walkable community.

Old 02-12-2013, 01:44 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,277,162 times
Just saw this via the NY Times.... somewhat related

Looking for Love in All the Right Places | Trulia Trends

Old 02-12-2013, 06:27 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,742,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Well having moved back to the Bay Area, I will say this; As a male, what makes SD difficult are the high number of men. HOWEVER, the women there are a little more down to earth. Having been able to do a direct comparison, SD women don't seem to be as full of themselves despite the fact that they deal with the same types of players and douchebags. Sense this was a Mens Health study, I am certain that the attitude of the women in SD played a big part.
You do know that all Western cities have more men than women, and that SD is no different than the Bay Area, right? Never expected women in SF to be full of themselves. I thought you had to be somewhat attractive to have an attitude

A singles map of the United States of America - The Boston Globe

Old 02-12-2013, 06:39 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,386,046 times
I've mentioned it on other dating threads but I truly believe that the single most important factor in doing well dating is having good communication and social skills. Anyone that does should do fairly well in any major metropolitan city.

Of course certain things will probably increase your luck like how attractive you are, how successful you are with your career, where you live, what you drive, etc. But I still say the most important factor is good communication skills. I have overweight friends, I have unattractive friends, I have short/tall friends. Most of them do VERY well dating and the one thing they all have in common is they all are very good socially and good communicators.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyinsd View Post
If you live in generic suburbia yes, you do need a car. And yes, your dating options will be less than for someone who lives in a walkable community.

I'm totally with SEAandATL that cities like San Diego, Atlanta, Dallas you really have to have a car. Not just because you might live in suburbia but the city is so spread out. I can't imagine not having a car in cities like these and doing well on the social scene. Even if I didn't live where I do there is NO way I could not have a car here in San Diego. Sure, you can make the argument if you lived downtown you could get around but actively dating not having a car would be a major impediment, IMHO. I just don't see either always having my date pick me up or using rental cars as a realistic viable option and doing exceptionally well here in San Diego.

Personally I think any major metropolitan city in the USA if you've got "game" is a total goldmine.

Old 02-12-2013, 11:01 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,975,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyretirement View Post
Sure, you can make the argument if you lived downtown you could get around but actively dating not having a car would be a major impediment, IMHO. I just don't see either always having my date pick me up or using rental cars as a realistic viable option and doing exceptionally well here in San Diego.
All the women I've gone out with have been able to walk to places that I want to meet them at. One of the things we talked about is how cool it was for us to be able to walk to where we wanted to go.

Also, keep in mind that millennials, who are the ones doing most of the dating because people who are older are usually attached, often don't want to own a car and live so they don't need one. They expect the people they date to do the same.

If I didn't have a car when I moved here, I wouldn't own one. I'd use Car2Go.

Old 02-13-2013, 01:31 AM

6,562 posts, read 12,057,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyretirement View Post
I've mentioned it on other dating threads but I truly believe that the single most important factor in doing well dating is having good communication and social skills. Anyone that does should do fairly well in any major metropolitan city.

Of course certain things will probably increase your luck like how attractive you are, how successful you are with your career, where you live, what you drive, etc. But I still say the most important factor is good communication skills. I have overweight friends, I have unattractive friends, I have short/tall friends. Most of them do VERY well dating and the one thing they all have in common is they all are very good socially and good communicators.

Personally I think any major metropolitan city in the USA if you've got "game" is a total goldmine.
The most important thing is confidence, which goes hand-in-hand with social skills. Lacking confidence causes social awkwardness. When approaching a woman, its not necessarily what you say but how you say it. Smiling instead of having a nervous look can make a huge difference in the results. I remember when I was living in San Diego, there was a huge difference between when I had a negative attitude and a positive attitude. Women can see that. When my attitude was positive I felt more confident and had a lot more success in dating, while when my attitude was negative and I kept telling myself that its impossible to meet a girl in SD, I was just setting myself up for failure.

Old 02-13-2013, 12:46 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,199,992 times
I went to a friend's wedding in San Diego several years ago. I was single. I live in northern California, but I found many of the women at the reception to be down to earth and approachable...more so than the large Bay Area cities IMO. Keep in mind this is based on that one event, but that was my impression.

Old 02-13-2013, 12:59 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,398,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyinsd View Post
In general, SD requires a car more than, at least a few cities up here where I live. Then again, the so does the rest of the bay area as a whole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
View detailed profiles of: