Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2023, 02:56 PM

4,433 posts, read 2,448,585 times

Advertisements

Odd. The new low point is always so much higher than the last.

Keep these downturns coming, please and thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2023, 03:30 PM

1,404 posts, read 1,176,492 times
I'm just trying to figure out when I'm supposed to stop making mortgage payments and walk away from my place (presumably to live in a cardboard box, somewhere) - I thought that's what all the cool folks were doing 10-15 years ago the last time prices dropped.

Doing some quick math, my place is currently only worth about 2.3x what I paid for it, vs the 2.8x it was worth at the most recent peak. Given that I suffered a drop of nearly 50% of my original purchase price, surely it must be time for me to do that soon...

Old 04-17-2023, 06:06 PM

3,069 posts, read 1,739,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyInSD View Post
I'm just trying to figure out when I'm supposed to stop making mortgage payments and walk away from my place (presumably to live in a cardboard box, somewhere) - I thought that's what all the cool folks were doing 10-15 years ago the last time prices dropped.

Doing some quick math, my place is currently only worth about 2.3x what I paid for it, vs the 2.8x it was worth at the most recent peak. Given that I suffered a drop of nearly 50% of my original purchase price, surely it must be time for me to do that soon...
If anyone else makes another assertion like this, you're going to summon you know who...

Old 04-20-2023, 09:09 AM

771 posts, read 835,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyInSD View Post

Walk away now while you still can. Good luck!

Old 04-20-2023, 01:16 PM

1 posts, read 386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djxpress View Post
I'd like some thoughts and opinions? The market has increased significantly over the past couple of years. Are we in a mini-bubble that's bound to burst?

It's important to remember that stock market fluctuations are a natural part of the economic cycle, and it's not unusual for the market to experience periods of growth followed by declines. In recent years, the stock market has seen a significant increase, which has led some to speculate whether we're in a "mini-bubble" that could burst.
While it's difficult to predict what will happen in the future, there are some factors that could indicate whether or not we're in a bubble. For example, if stock prices are significantly outpacing earnings growth, this could be a sign of an unsustainable bubble. Additionally, if there is a lot of speculation and hype around certain companies or industries, this could also be a warning sign.
However, it's important to note that market bubbles are often only identified in hindsight. The best approach for individual investors is to focus on long-term investment goals, diversify their portfolios, and not try to time the market. By taking a measured approach and being prepared for market fluctuations, investors can help protect themselves against any potential market downturns.

Old 04-20-2023, 02:29 PM

5,734 posts, read 4,689,857 times
Ugh. I'm kinda getting tired of repeating myself to you, Mr. Knucklehead (that's your new name, by the way).

All of us on here have 2% mortgages. We don't care about the paper-value of our house. We aren't selling!

Redfin still shows my house having a current value of over $1M more than I paid for it just 18 months ago. There's a long way to go before the value is less than I paid for it, but even if that happens, I don't care! I have a cheap mortgage. And guess what??? The value will go right back up and then some.

Old 04-20-2023, 04:19 PM

50,245 posts, read 47,005,641 times
LOL the reverse nostradamus shows up yet again. Should have bought when you had a chance, missed the boat.

Old 04-20-2023, 05:01 PM

52 posts, read 31,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campagnolo View Post
You will be begging buyers soon for money. No one is going to give you strong US Dollars unless you cut that sorry ass price 50% and more.
LMFAO
You really believe 50% drops are expected? They dipped quite a bit from April 2022 highs but they've now gone back up a little. My home is estimated $750k-$800k which is mind boggling I know. The problem with this area is it has high demand, location, weather, and strongish economy. What really keeps the prices high is the lack of building new homes, NIMBY, high building fees and permits, and other barriers that keep supply low. To think prices are going to return to 2013 and earlier prices for instance my home being worth $375-$400k is just not going to happen unless something more drastic than the recession that is (or already started) coming. It would have to be a pretty major recession like U.S. going to war with China and the entire global economy going under, even then still not sure you'll ever see the average home $400k or less, those days are gone for good.

Old 04-20-2023, 05:02 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,288,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
Ugh. I'm kinda getting tired of repeating myself to you, Mr. Knucklehead (that's your new name, by the way).

All of us on here have 2% mortgages. We don't care about the paper-value of our house. We aren't selling!

Redfin still shows my house having a current value of over $1M more than I paid for it just 18 months ago. There's a long way to go before the value is less than I paid for it, but even if that happens, I don't care! I have a cheap mortgage. And guess what??? The value will go right back up and then some.
I have a 2.5% mortgage.

Prices have dropped in my neighborhood but my mortgage note plus HOA is still about 25% less than the market rental value of my place. Since I'm not selling, I too am having trouble feeling like a sucker/fool as I'm apparently supposed to as a homeowner.

Old 04-20-2023, 05:14 PM

52 posts, read 31,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
I have a 2.5% mortgage.

Prices have dropped in my neighborhood but my mortgage note plus HOA is still about 25% less than the market rental value of my place. Since I'm not selling, I too am having trouble feeling like a sucker/fool as I'm apparently supposed to as a homeowner.
My mortgage is $2284/mo. I bought my home (4 bd/2b) in 2017 with $0 down, actually I walked away with $6k in cash for buying the home from seller and realtor credit. I have 2.25% interest rate on a 30 year fixed. I pay less per month than the smaller 3 bedroom for rent next to me at $3500/mo. Hell I know people in 2 bedroom income based apartments that pay more than I do per month. I don't feel like a fool/sucker either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego