Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2023, 09:26 PM

50,327 posts, read 47,080,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
Of the five SFHs in my zip, one has been on the market for 300+ days. Of course, that one is also some weird arrangement where buying the home is conditional on buying the business (a retirement home) too. That one isn't going anywhere, for any amount of discount and they've already cut the price $500k over the last year.

It's the dumbest thing I've seen in a long time.
That is weird. They'd need a whole staff.

Baypark is still like a rotating 20 houses well over a million. Some 2-3 million and they seem to be selling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2023, 10:00 PM

4,220 posts, read 3,302,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USDefault View Post
You'd pick the inland empire over Corpus Christi and/or Padre Island on the Gulf Coast? Incline Village and Lake Tahoe on Nevada's western flank? Austin? Scottsdale? Nashville? Memphis? C'mon man, ain't no one choosing San Bernardino over Incline, the Gulf Coast, Las Vegas, Reno, San Antonio, Fort Worth, etc.

I like IE just fine, nice people and places, but you can walk Barstow and Bakersfield in what, ten minutes, twenty if you stop and put a couple bucks in the glass bottle soda machine. Then what?

And, even during the height of the snowbird season, the crowds at many of these state locales aren't bad (I've stayed for weeks, and sometimes months, at several of them during the winter). CC and the Gulf Coast are huge, with plenty of properties on spacious lots so you aren't staring at your neighbors. Scottsdale, Phoenix, Texas, Tennessee, Nevada -- these states have enormous amounts of land on which to build, live, thrive, hike, drive. None of these places are Disney on Christmas Day.
Interesting choices.

Yeah I'd take Redlands, Rancho Cucamonga, Palm Springs, Palm Desert, Rancho Mirage, La Quinta, Temecula, or Murrieta over Texas's gulf coast (I wonder why the coast there is less hyped than the inland cities), an overblown college town (Austin), a bloated megaburbia (Nashville), and the rest of the interior desert cities and,.....Memphis?

It would be much more persuasive to point out that Chicago or Houston is a cheaper option than the IE.

Old 04-27-2023, 08:59 AM

9,527 posts, read 30,486,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
Interesting choices.

Yeah I'd take Redlands, Rancho Cucamonga, Palm Springs, Palm Desert, Rancho Mirage, La Quinta, Temecula, or Murrieta over Texas's gulf coast (I wonder why the coast there is less hyped than the inland cities), an overblown college town (Austin), a bloated megaburbia (Nashville), and the rest of the interior desert cities and,.....Memphis?

It would be much more persuasive to point out that Chicago or Houston is a cheaper option than the IE.
If you don't care about access to the rest of California, then sure move to TX, the have restaurants and malls and stadiums there too. The reason I'm here isnt for the city life, honestly the cities here suck, they are crowded and run down.

Old 04-27-2023, 11:42 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,461,070 times
Quote:
You'd pick the inland empire over Corpus Christi and/or Padre Island on the Gulf Coast? Incline Village and Lake Tahoe on Nevada's western flank? Austin? Scottsdale? Nashville? Memphis? C'mon man, ain't no one choosing San Bernardino over Incline, the Gulf Coast, Las Vegas, Reno, San Antonio, Fort Worth, etc.

I like IE just fine, nice people and places, but you can walk Barstow and Bakersfield in what, ten minutes, twenty if you stop and put a couple bucks in the glass bottle soda machine. Then what?
Yes. Corpus Christi and south Padre island are hours from any major city. The overwhelming majority of the population centers of the IE will have you in LA and OC in under an hour.

Speaking of C’mon man, the IE is more than San Bernardino.

I guess Barstow is technically in the IE because SB County runs to Nevada, but I don’t think most consider it part of it? Bakersfield is in Kern County which is not. Those two should never be put together anyways. Barstow is where you get gas going to Vegas, Bakersfield is a legit city, and probably 25x the size of Barstow. You’re definitely not walking it in 10 minutes. They have a CSU with division 1 sports, as well as multiple minor league teams.

My buddy grew up there and lives there now with his family to be near his parents. I’ve met up to surf when staying at my cabin and he can be in Malibu in 2 hours. I’ve also met him to go sailing out of Ventura and that takes him 2 hours as well. While it wouldn’t be on the top of my list of places to live, where I am at in life I could be very content there.

Old 04-28-2023, 02:39 AM

1,014 posts, read 1,576,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup

So all of those places are included within your definition of the "inland empire"? I generally think of the IE as Riverside and San Bernardino.

East of that, motoring between the mountains on the 10, then you get to the Coachella Valley, which includes Palm Springs/Desert, La Quinta, etc. I wouldn't put those in the inland empire, though perhaps some do. I just see the mountains as a very distinct geographic feature, and you're in a different region entirely once you get past the windmills.

Even Temecula, though it may be in Riverside County, you haven't even hit the 15/215 split -- it's more north San Diego than east LA.

As for "bloated megaburbia," perhaps Nashville is one. But if it is, what does that make San Diego and Los Angles? If Nashville is "bloated," then these Southern California cities are disgustingly, morbidly obese -- and they most certainly are "megaburbs," there is no disputing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
Speaking of C’mon man, the IE is more than San Bernardino.

San Bernardino and Riverside are generally thought to comprise the inland empire. But I guess there isn't a solid definition as to what the IE includes; no need to figure that out here. Nor am I saying I am definitively correct; perhaps a more expansive definition of IE is appropriate.

If the definition of IE is meant to include the Coachella Valley bowl, as well as the northern edge of San Diego, that's a much bigger region, and a different calculus. Don't like Palm Springs, but Indio and Palm Desert are nice, and could see choosing them, even with blazing hot summers. But the 10, the 215, and the 15 are serious time and health killers, not sure how many day trips you'd be taking during the week, sitting in all that traffic. We've all driven through that many times -- can anyone honestly say they'd regularly be subjecting themselves to all that traffic for skiing or restaurants? I wouldn't.

Old 04-28-2023, 07:08 AM

10,311 posts, read 6,856,670 times
I'm seeing a few houses pop up around here. Mostly, old people dying off and the kids see dollar signs.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3...16618649_zpid/

Old 04-28-2023, 09:10 AM

Quote:
But the 10, the 215, and the 15 are serious time and health killers, not sure how many day trips you'd be taking during the week, sitting in all that traffic. We've all driven through that many times -- can anyone honestly say they'd regularly be subjecting themselves to all that traffic for skiing or restaurants? I wouldn't.
I mean, thousands do it. I do it all the time. Joshua Tree, SB mountains, Mammoth / Eastside Sierra... probably 10x a year? And I am a weekend warrior. If I was retired you had better believe I'd be doing weekday trips to Mammoth from IE. You are cutting a solid 2.5+ hours off the trip. I have done 48 hour blitzes to Lone Pine area dozens of times. Where do you think all the people who go to Mammoth live? They are all from Southern CA, LA, SD, IE. You cant even get there from the north or west in winter.

Old 04-28-2023, 03:32 PM

1,014 posts, read 1,576,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSD1995 View Post
I mean, thousands do it. I do it all the time. Joshua Tree, SB mountains, Mammoth / Eastside Sierra... probably 10x a year? And I am a weekend warrior. If I was retired you had better believe I'd be doing weekday trips to Mammoth from IE. You are cutting a solid 2.5+ hours off the trip. I have done 48 hour blitzes to Lone Pine area dozens of times. Where do you think all the people who go to Mammoth live? They are all from Southern CA, LA, SD, IE. You cant even get there from the north or west in winter.

How are you getting there. 215, cut through Cajon, to the 395? And if you are in Palm Springs, you're taking the 10 too?

That's a lot of driving. I understand you like it and that's what you want to do. At least it's not the 210, 110, or the worst of them all, the 101. I cannot adequately communicate my hatred for those roads.

Old 04-28-2023, 04:12 PM

Quote:
How are you getting there. 215, cut through Cajon, to the 395? And if you are in Palm Springs, you're taking the 10 too?

That's a lot of driving. I understand you like it and that's what you want to do. At least it's not the 210, 110, or the worst of them all, the 101. I cannot adequately communicate my hatred for those roads.
215 over Cajon Pass to 395. Mammoth gets 3M visitors a year and nearly all drive up from the south. So it’s not some fringe activity. It’s one of the biggest ski areas in the entire country.

Driving there from San Antonio is a lot longer though !

Like I have said so many times on this forum…. if you don’t take advantage of what CA has to offer, why live here? Weather alone isn’t gonna cut it for me. There is literally nowhere else in this country where you have world class skiing, hiking, climbing and ocean all within 2-3 hours. Nowhere. Some have a few of those… but none have them all.

Last edited by NYSD1995; 04-28-2023 at 04:29 PM..

Old 04-29-2023, 07:26 PM

92 posts, read 87,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSD1995 View Post
There is literally nowhere else in this country where you have world class skiing, hiking, climbing and ocean all within 2-3 hours. Nowhere. Some have a few of those… but none have them all.
Sure there is, towns in the upper Oregon valley, Salem and McMinnville to name two.
An hour to the beach, three hours or under to climbing, skiing, fishing, camping and hiking.
Mt. Bachelor
Mt. Hood
The Gorge
Smith Rock
Endless beaches
Endless rivers and lakes

With 8 billion folks on a rapidly shrinking rock, all about finding a place that checks enough boxes and live your best life possible.

Last edited by slowlanes; 04-29-2023 at 08:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego