Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2023, 07:22 PM

5,736 posts, read 4,692,864 times

Advertisements

Traffic on the 15 through Temecula/Murrietta every afternoon is insane. Actually, the traffic starts just north of Escondido due to all the commuters driving back to Temecula every afternoon.

I've spend some time in Temecula, and it just seems like cookie-cutter tract-house hell. It's like a little bit of Phoenix in CA, weather included.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2023, 09:46 AM

18 posts, read 18,166 times
Yea to each their own. I've always been amazed at what people who live in SD think of Temecula it's almost like all you know of it is traffic on the 15, haaha... maybe that's a good thing? Tract housing hell is exactly how we think of SD too! LOL.

SD, let's see... is mission valley anything but tract condo's and townhomes? Kearny mesa... 100% old run down tracts. Clairemont, oh boy? Beach areas are run down older home tracts and the weather is freezing cold almost pointless to have a swimming pool. Eastlake, tract hell. Carmel Valley, OMG makes me want to throw up it's so bad. Del Sur, ouch! North county is nice... still all tracts though. Really the only 'nice' area of SD is RSF/Santaluz with custom estates throw in Poway for good measure. East county has some but it's mostly run down and doesn't have the amenities of Temecula.

Your issue with traffic on the 15 is already being addressed: https://patch.com/california/temecul...elief-promised which should alleviate the issue entirely or at the least significantly improve it.

Again to each their own but SD has really aged and gone down hill which is why i got out. With all the homeless, tract homes that are showing their age, crime and proximity to the open border it's a shame to see it in such bad shape. I guess it depends on where you are in life, with a young family for us SD just couldn't cut it.

Old 10-23-2023, 10:10 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,260,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timaay View Post
Sounds good but for me the reality of San Diego is not what it used to be or what people think of it for some reason. I lived in SD for over 20+ years and recently got out to Temecula. SD is a run down dump compared to Temecula. The only nice parts of SD in my opinion is North County. RSF/Santa Luz, throw in Carlsbad, Solana and Encinitas. Even La Jolla is a nightmare now. Temecula has the right mix with the upscale wineries, Old Town, big custom homes in Santiago Estates, Deluz out in wine country back to La Cresta (murrieta area). There's enough night life, shopping, land, social events... can drive over the hill to Palm Desert, get up to the mountains easily... zip down the 15 to SD and cross over via the 56 to the beaches (avoiding the 76). I prefer to get in and out of SD and not live there.

SD just has too much homeless and traffic for me. SD traffic makes Temecula traffic look like a casual stroll down a country road.
We live in Scripps Ranch, in a pretty new home in a really nice neighborhood up in the hills and absolutely love it. I think there are more parts of San Diego that are really nice than you give it credit for. But I also agree that all those areas like Mira mesa, clairemont Mesa, tierrasanta, and so many more are just ugly, aging 60s and 70s tract homes. In fact, much of California looks like that now. Temecula tends to be a lot newer, and although it's also mostly tract housing, a lot of it is pretty nice, the prices are way better than San diego, the wine country is really beautiful, old town is awesome, and you are definitely close to places like Idyllwild or Palm Desert which is a bonus. Temecula is a little too hot for our taste at this point in life, but it's nothing like Phoenix as the other guy said. Even Riverside is hotter. Even the Central Valley is hotter. There's actually a nice breeze every afternoon even on those hot summer days. We love a lot of things about San Diego and Temecula both

Old 10-23-2023, 11:09 AM

5,736 posts, read 4,692,864 times
Quote:
Yea to each their own. I've always been amazed at what people who live in SD think of Temecula it's almost like all you know of it is traffic on the 15, haaha... maybe that's a good thing? Tract housing hell is exactly how we think of SD too! LOL.

SD, let's see... is mission valley anything but tract condo's and townhomes? Kearny mesa... 100% old run down tracts. Clairemont, oh boy? Beach areas are run down older home tracts and the weather is freezing cold almost pointless to have a swimming pool. Eastlake, tract hell. Carmel Valley, OMG makes me want to throw up it's so bad. Del Sur, ouch! North county is nice... still all tracts though. Really the only 'nice' area of SD is RSF/Santaluz with custom estates throw in Poway for good measure. East county has some but it's mostly run down and doesn't have the amenities of Temecula.

Your issue with traffic on the 15 is already being addressed: https://patch.com/california/temecul...elief-promised which should alleviate the issue entirely or at the least significantly improve it.

Again to each their own but SD has really aged and gone down hill which is why i got out. With all the homeless, tract homes that are showing their age, crime and proximity to the open border it's a shame to see it in such bad shape. I guess it depends on where you are in life, with a young family for us SD just couldn't cut it.
I've known several people that have left SD and moved to Temecula. They all did it due to the cost of housing, and I get that. But your description of the entirety of SD is laughable. Freezing cold pointless to have a pool? Uh, ok.

If you like Temecula, then great. More power to you.

I just chuckle when people try to tell me how horrible SD is, and Temecula is so much better. Sure it is.

All the people I know that moved to Temecula would give anything to move back to SD if they could afford to.

Old 10-23-2023, 11:29 AM

9,525 posts, read 30,471,515 times
Most of San Diego is just aging tract homes and strip malls with marginal schools and very few redeeming qualities. The desirable areas are either reserved for uber-wealthy (coastal) or aren't kid-friendly (Balboa Park). The places that are nice to live tend to be in the suburbs, and while I enjoy that lifestyle it is nothing special. I totally get the appeal of Temecula for newer / nicer especially if you don't care about the beach (I don't). Phoenix has a similar appeal but I would much rather live in IE than in AZ.

Old 10-23-2023, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstieber View Post
We live in Scripps Ranch, in a pretty new home in a really nice neighborhood up in the hills and absolutely love it. I think there are more parts of San Diego that are really nice than you give it credit for. But I also agree that all those areas like Mira mesa, clairemont Mesa, tierrasanta, and so many more are just ugly, aging 60s and 70s tract homes. In fact, much of California looks like that now. Temecula tends to be a lot newer, and although it's also mostly tract housing, a lot of it is pretty nice, the prices are way better than San diego, the wine country is really beautiful, old town is awesome, and you are definitely close to places like Idyllwild or Palm Desert which is a bonus. Temecula is a little too hot for our taste at this point in life, but it's nothing like Phoenix as the other guy said. Even Riverside is hotter. Even the Central Valley is hotter. There's actually a nice breeze every afternoon even on those hot summer days. We love a lot of things about San Diego and Temecula both
Yes, I guess when I mentioned Poway I kind of lump Scripps Ranch in with that but Scripps probably has the better location overall in terms of getting around the county as a whole. We looked at the Heritage in Poway and also liked Scripps Ranch just a bit south of that neighborhood. That's a nice area as it's set off away from the general 'war zone' of SD. I see the appeal of it for sure.

One size doesn't fit all for sure but I miss the old SD, just seems to be a different place now which is sad. We all have to run to our protected enclaves to not be surrounded by weirdness.

Old 10-23-2023, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
I've known several people that have left SD and moved to Temecula. They all did it due to the cost of housing, and I get that. But your description of the entirety of SD is laughable. Freezing cold pointless to have a pool? Uh, ok.

I just chuckle when people try to tell me how horrible SD is, and Temecula is so much better. Sure it is.

All the people I know that moved to Temecula would give anything to move back to SD if they could afford to.
I wouldn't move back for anything and we could definitely "afford" to move back for sure. We didn't move for financial reasons at all. We moved for quality of life, schools, parks, convenience, weather (we enjoy heat don't like the marine layer foggy overcast stuff in SD). I guess if you only know people who live in a certain section of Temecula then you only know that perspective. As i said there is a whole other aspect to it with acreage, custom homes, estates, vineyards, etc... it's country/scenic and kind of a little bubble.

We go to the beach and any attractions we want without too much hassle as the HOV lanes on the 15 you cruise to wherever down south fairly quickly but I tell you once we are back we are always glad to be back in Temecula after a day in SD.

Old 10-30-2023, 12:30 AM

47 posts, read 31,276 times
Quote:

Translation: “I am broke so I had to move to a far flung exurb to afford housing”

Old 10-30-2023, 01:31 PM

3,068 posts, read 1,741,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post

If the bolded were really true, housing prices would be higher in Temecula... but they're not so...

Personally, I'll take my dumpy Clairemont home because I get get to the beach in 15 minutes or less.

Old 10-30-2023, 03:02 PM

4,433 posts, read 2,450,423 times
Quote:
...doesn't have the amenities of Temecula.

What amenities does Temecula have that are missing anywhere in the populous parts of SD County? I honestly can't think of anything.

My problem with the area is it feels crowded anywhere you're at. Worse yet, all those massive tracts in Temecula, Murrietta, French Valley, etc., have merged together as one big amorphous blob of suburban hell. You can almost include Lake Elsinore to Hemet in that now too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego