Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2015, 03:11 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,735,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyretirement View Post
Things will get even more competitive once Aldi's comes to Southern California next year. I heard they are opening about 50 locations in Southern California alone.

They will put the pressure on all the supermarkets.
I just read that Aldi is opening their first store in Vista. I remember going into a store in upstate New York, but I can't remember anything about it. All I know is that it started in Germany.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2015, 09:11 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,525,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
I just read that Aldi is opening their first store in Vista. I remember going into a store in upstate New York, but I can't remember anything about it. All I know is that it started in Germany.
Where in Vista?

Old 10-04-2015, 09:40 AM

27 posts, read 31,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
Recall you had to bag your own groceries, even pay a quarter for a shopping cart.
You do bag your own groceries, but the quarter is to "rent" the cart. When you return the cart to the cart rack at the end of your shopping trip, you get the quarter back. It's an incentive to get people to return their carts to the rack as opposed to paying an employee to schlep carts from all over the parking lot back to the store. Paltry as a quarter is, it seems to work. They run on minimal staff (hence bagging your own groceries) to save on operating costs. They also carry mostly private label products (similar to trader joe's). I've always found their products to be high quality and very comparable to name brands. I found my grocery bill was at least 40% cheaper when I lived in NC and shopped at Aldi. If the rumor about Vista is true, I'll gladly drive from RB once or twice a month to stock up on pantry goods.

Old 10-04-2015, 09:59 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,525,853 times
Paying for a shopping cart is common in the UK. And you don't get your money back.

Old 10-04-2015, 10:08 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,592,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurquoiseOne View Post
Paying for a shopping cart is common in the UK. And you don't get your money back.
IIRC, we've always got our money back when using a shopping cart in the UK.

Old 10-04-2015, 10:24 AM

6,893 posts, read 8,931,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
I would like if Aldi takes as much of the failed Haagen spaces, but mostly the one in my hood. I'm a big fan of TJs and Aldi is supposedly in same group. I didn't think FreshandEasy was as great, but certainly much better than Vons/Ralphs/PigglyWiggly/Haagen/Kroger/Safeway/StopnSchlock/

Old 10-04-2015, 11:37 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,592,513 times
The same people own TJ's and Aldi. There the resemblence ends. Aldi is all about avoiding expenses to be able to have lower prices. That's why they don't stock shelves (they open pallets and that's about as much as they do) and don't bag your groceries.

I like both TJs and Aldi. I hope Aldi moves into one of the vacant Haggens around here.

Old 10-04-2015, 12:06 PM

50,251 posts, read 47,011,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccrash View Post
You do bag your own groceries, but the quarter is to "rent" the cart. When you return the cart to the cart rack at the end of your shopping trip, you get the quarter back. It's an incentive to get people to return their carts to the rack as opposed to paying an employee to schlep carts from all over the parking lot back to the store. Paltry as a quarter is, it seems to work. They run on minimal staff (hence bagging your own groceries) to save on operating costs. They also carry mostly private label products (similar to trader joe's). I've always found their products to be high quality and very comparable to name brands. I found my grocery bill was at least 40% cheaper when I lived in NC and shopped at Aldi. If the rumor about Vista is true, I'll gladly drive from RB once or twice a month to stock up on pantry goods.
I wish they'd do that at all stores. There are thousands of people here that don't drive so they basically steal the cart and push it home.

Old 10-04-2015, 12:33 PM

919 posts, read 789,447 times
Quote:
I wish they'd do that at all stores.
Agree, and maybe it would cut down on those who refuse to simply push the cart into the cart return. That's one of the things that really bothers me - and it so often the ones in the expensive cars that think they don't have to. Rude, entitled people.

Old 10-04-2015, 12:34 PM

94 posts, read 92,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurquoiseOne View Post
What? Sorry, but I don't believe this. "Renting" a shopping cart is common all over Europe. But you always get your coin back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego