Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2010, 12:23 PM

50,294 posts, read 47,056,299 times

Advertisements

They are the same critter just one lives where it is colder so more fur. We have Foxes that can look pretty plump in the winter but they are'nt very big.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2010, 08:45 AM

848 posts, read 2,127,974 times
I've seen them twice near Paradise Valley Road when I used to live in the San Diego area. One was carrying off a black cat, could see the meat coming out of the neck. Coyotes are highly intelligent, studious and conniving. In a sense, they do help keep down a stray cat population that eats too many songbirds.

Old 07-28-2010, 09:10 PM

24 posts, read 74,236 times
Default Lake Hodges near Del Dios Hwy

I was out on an afternoon hike with a friend on the trail around Lake Hodges in Escondido when two coyotes pranced across the trail in front of us. They were heading in the general direction of the lake, and were not even 15 yards away from us. I had my German Shepherd with me. We stopped and I pointed out the coyotes to my friend. They stopped and stared. My dog noticed them (first time in all the times I have been with him and seen them). He did not react as he would if it were a loose dog, but he did start to whimper shepherd style. This was my closest encounter, to be sure.

I had just read an article about coyotes that morning. One thing it said to do was to wave sticks, make loud noises, like what they say to do when you see a Mountain Lion. The article talked about how coyotes have gotten bolder around people, and it is good to try to scare them, and not turn your back on them. I was not too worried with it being only two coyotes, but I was concerned there could be more in the bushes. I yelled in a deep voice and the smaller one ran into the woods. The bigger one started off, then stopped and gave me a stare down. I felt I had no choice but to make more noise, I even threw a dirt clod that hit a tree not far from the coyote. He flinched a bit, but just stared, then finally turned and went on. We were so close to the lot where our car was that we hurried on the trail. When we got to the car, we heard several yips coming from the woods. I guess the coyotes found something they were happy about.

I actually wish I had had my camera, because these were beautiful animals...just like the picture that 1AngryTaxPayer posted previously.

I do find it disconcerting that it was not even dark, although the sun had gone below the skyline of the hills, but these guys were out and seemed to have little fear. Not the skittish animal I have seen in other wilderness settings. So I am spooked again...and will need to be very careful about when I walk on that trail. I thought the sunlight hours were safe hours. Several years ago I used to bike the trail around the same time of day, but the bike was much faster...and with the dog now, I really want to walk places and not have to worry too much about getting attacked.

Today I also learned more about the coyotes that live along the north county rail trail near my house. Neighbors told me that there have been packs of coyotes along those tracks for many years. It's amazing to me since the trail runs pretty close to a busy road. I also heard that several years back a woman was on that busy road sitting at a bus stop when a pack of coyotes attacked her. It was early morning, just before dawn. That is spooky because I thought the busy road was safer for me to walk the dog along.

I think I am swinging back to the side of wishing someone would do something to control the population of these animals.
file:///Users/Anita/Library/Caches/TemporaryItems/moz-screenshot.png (broken link)
Here is a link to the article I read...the pdf file seemed too large to attach.
Coyote Management Guidelines--UC IPM

Old 07-29-2010, 05:54 AM

50,294 posts, read 47,056,299 times
I rode the trails by Dixon and there were a couple of young ones grabbing squirrels in the grass right next to where everyone was walking. It's just part of nature that we live in.

It's more dangerous on the freeway.

Old 07-29-2010, 09:29 AM

4,750 posts, read 3,567,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps16 View Post
I had my German Shepherd with me. We stopped and I pointed out the coyotes to my friend. They stopped and stared. My dog noticed them (first time in all the times I have been with him and seen them). He did not react as he would if it were a loose dog, but he did start to whimper shepherd style. This was my closest encounter, to be sure.
It's disconcerting to know that a tough dog like a German Shepherd gets concerned at the sight of coyotes. I've been hiking more in more rurals places recently (although all places are well traveled paths such as Los Penasquitos) and my dogs are smaller than German Shepherds. Thanks for the information!

Old 07-29-2010, 12:03 PM

Quote:
It's more dangerous on the freeway.
HaHa!..that is for sure!

Old 07-29-2010, 12:07 PM

Default Lake Hodges near Del Dios Hwy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
It's disconcerting to know that a tough dog like a German Shepherd gets concerned at the sight of coyotes. I've been hiking more in more rurals places recently (although all places are well traveled paths such as Los Penasquitos) and my dogs are smaller than German Shepherds. Thanks for the information!
Yes, it is. I found stories online from incidents around the San Clemente area where people had dogs ripped from their arms by coyotes. It's scary!

Old 07-30-2010, 02:08 AM

163 posts, read 576,950 times
Default Coyotes In Seattle

I live in the Seattle area on some wetlands and we have a pack of Coyotes in our wetlands here. I hate them and fear for my cat who I have a hard time keeping in at night, she's pretty wild herself. Last night my daughter and I were sickened by the sound of hysterical howling coyotes obviously killing a neighborhood dog and eating it. That poor dog was yelping so loud in pain as it was being attacked, it was upsetting. I'm teasing my family that I'm going to buy big bags of dog food and throw it out there every day to domesticate those Coyotes. I look at your San Diego site here because I wonder all the time if the grass is greener down there?

Old 07-30-2010, 10:51 AM

4,750 posts, read 3,567,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamboatannie953 View Post
I look at your San Diego site here because I wonder all the time if the grass is greener down there?
With the differences in precipitation between the two cities, I guarantee that our grass is browner.

Old 07-30-2010, 03:54 PM

163 posts, read 576,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
With the differences in precipitation between the two cities, I guarantee that our grass is browner.
Ahhhhh but your winters are way more sunny....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego