Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2011, 04:40 PM

1,320 posts, read 2,699,648 times

Advertisements

I don't have time to read the entire thread. We had coyotes in suburban Connecticut, and we have 'em here in Pennsylvania as well. There have even been sightings in smaller cities in CT. They are adaptable animals, and like our suburbs.
Yes, I lost my beloved cat to one. This when they were just entering the area, and is before I understood the danger. Sad, however, coyotes are a part of the natural world, and the food chain. They have just as much a place in the woods behind my house as do the cardinals, doves and deer.

I made darn sure my next cat was a house cat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2011, 07:15 AM

50,315 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heynello View Post
I currently live in the downtown area. Obviously haven't seen any of them here. Haven't seen much of anything really, 'cept for the occasional lizard and spider. Where we used to live in the newer area of Ocean View Hills by Palm. (where Kaizer and the AMC are at) we had rabbits, crazy spiders/bugs, lizards, snakes (almost got bit by one). Never saw anything like coyotes. I'm sure they could have been around though, there are lots of trails over there that I used to walk. I'd mostly just watch out for snakes. I can recall us getting letters in the mail a few times about mountain lion sightings in nearby neighborhoods. Said we shouldn't leave food out and keep an eye on our pets. But never heard or saw anything. It's scary to know they've been sighted in Balboa Park. I'm in walking distance from there, but I have absolutely no fear right now. I know I'm safe where I am. More likely to be mugged on the street than to be mauled by a coyote.

It's getting too expensive here though and when our lease is up in October we will be moving. We're thinking Mission Valley but this is still debatable. We have two dogs. One, a 6 month old terrier mix and a 10 yr. old tiny chihuhua who is a little blind. It's kind of unnerving really to hear that they've been spotted around there. Would hate not to feel safe on walks. But I can't say I don't understand it. Mission Valley is a beautiful place and if I were a wild animal, I'd probably want to live there too.

Hmm. :3
I'd worry more about the 2 legged animals that live in the river woods more than coyotes.

Old 07-15-2011, 11:37 AM

1,201 posts, read 2,416,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I'd worry more about the 2 legged animals that live in the river woods more than coyotes.
Fascinating. I didn't realize that wild monkeys lived in the San Diego area. Perhaps too many people were keeping them as pets and some escaped? Kind of like the wild parrot phenomena in San Francisco. Monkeys can be exceedingly mischievous and occasionally violent, so watch out!

Old 07-16-2011, 03:34 PM

50,315 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
Fascinating. I didn't realize that wild monkeys lived in the San Diego area. Perhaps too many people were keeping them as pets and some escaped? Kind of like the wild parrot phenomena in San Francisco. Monkeys can be exceedingly mischievous and occasionally violent, so watch out!
Tweekers can be violent I will give you that.

Old 08-14-2011, 01:30 PM

1 posts, read 2,494 times
I live in the old part of Bonita, on the hill behind Plaza Bonita. Coyotes are often spotted around here, though I've only seen one myself, this Spring. She was walking across the street in broad daylight, and was clearly raising some pups. We've had cats disappear later at night, but always without a trace (no blood, carcass, or signs of a struggle). There was never any noise either from the coyote or the cat.

Old 08-15-2011, 11:49 PM

32 posts, read 65,054 times
I live near Morena Blvd in Clairemont by the Costco. One night I saw a coyote walking on the street along the fence. So, they were nearby you in PB, too. These canyons connect throughout the whole city.

Old 11-16-2011, 10:49 PM

13 posts, read 25,762 times
I posted a while ago when I was 14 or 15. I am a little older now, and more educated when it comes to coyotes. I would worry about them only if they seem habituated (they most likely are), and don't feed them. Scare them away, throw rocks at them, make them associate humans with trouble.

Old 11-19-2011, 06:35 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,106,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Tweekers can be violent I will give you that.
In Alaska we all are required to see the movie Legion.

After that you know what to do with 'em.

And yes to coyotes. They howl most nights in the canyon in Sabre Springs. Some times they get a hold of a squirrel or some other small peice of candy and the screams are chilling.

Old 06-26-2012, 03:00 AM

2 posts, read 4,297 times
Default Yup

I live in Vista, CA right on the Vista/San Marcos border on mission road and rancho sante fe. saw 10-12 coyotes hunting in a pack very deliberate behavior. Fairly certain i lost a big 20 pound outdoor tabby cat to them about a year ago they tend to frequent the same areas when they find success. 4 of the coyotes were so large my friend called them wolves. they glide as if on skates and trot extremely fast ive chase them on my bike i know the direction they live but they can travel miles in one night. the skunks/cats/dogs/other pets are all very aware of them. 5 min after that the neighbor dog was literally sitting in the middle of the street and wouldnt budge i had to drive around him. it was creepy and he didnt move until i almost touched him and he acted strange and ran away. he is normally very affectionate being a golden retriever. i have to keep my cats indoors and supervise them outside during the afternoon. amzing wildlife.

Old 06-26-2012, 03:01 AM

2 posts, read 4,297 times
Default Yup

it was 3AM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego