Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 06:35 AM

130 posts, read 386,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenreed View Post
I'm hoping that the dating scene is wide open for a black woman out there because Austin isn't hitting on anything! I would love PB, I heard so much about it but I haven't looked into the prices yet for a 2-3 bedroom spot. I may have to scale down to a 2 bedroom to be able to afford it there or anywhere in the SD area period. I am paying 1290 month for a 3 bdrm, 2 bath apartment with a garage and carport. I hope nurses make considerably more so that I can afford to rent a place on the beach or near by at least.
Speaking as a black woman who moved from SD not too long ago, you will get a little more action in SD than Austin as far as the dating scene goes. It depends on what you are looking for, but frankly, you wont find too many black males near or around PB (not that want to date black women anyway). The black population has significantly dimished from SD - where they all went is questionable, but I'm sure many moved to Atlanta and Dallas. Depending on what type of man you are attracted to, you may not find SD too appealing either. Personally, I never had a problem with the dating because I keep all my options open. It just depends on what you are looking for.

As far as nursing goes, I would say nurses make about $30-35 per hour, without overtime and there's no way you can get a 2 or 3 bedroom near or around the beach for under $1800 a month and it will probably look like a shack for that price!! For me, the question became...do I want to live to work or work to live??? Plus, there is a lot of activity (drunks, excess noise, vagrants, crime) around you if you live near the beach, especially in the summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2010, 08:09 AM

4,803 posts, read 8,750,800 times
I'm a So Cal girl who moved to Wyoming to finish her degree (UW's Plains Archaeology program is one of the best in the country). I'll be finished after this semester and I can't wait to get back to California. We'll be moving to San Diego--SD State has a cultural resource archaeology graduate degree and my fiance, who is a college professor, can look for adjunct work at any of the numerous colleges (counting two year institutions) in the area.

I sympathize with the Phoenix dweller. I lived through many east Texas summers. The heat is suffocating. But while the heat may be miserable, you can shed clothes or take a cold shower. Bone chilling, face cracking cold is a different matter. Every night when I go to bed, there is an 1/8 inch thick layer of ice on the inside of my windows (and they're double paned!). Monday morning when I got up to go to work, it was NEGATIVE 38 DEGREES! That's 70 degrees BELOW freezing! Your skin freezes in minutes in that kind of cold. I have to worry about my son getting frostbite just walking two blocks to the bus stop!

It's been hovering in negative temperatures all this week....well, we did get up to a blistering 4 degrees yesterday. You don't go outside unless it's absolutely necessary. Other than work and trips to the grocery store, I've been completely housebound for two weeks. That will start to get on your nerves.

I've been here since August 2007 so this is my third winter here and I am SO over snow and ice and negative temperatures! Don't get me wrong, Wyoming is a gorgeous state--beautiful mountains, rivers and streams flush with the run-off from the snow melt, long grasses waving across the plains, deer, antelope, elk, and the occasional bison--just grazing along the highway as you pass. When it's green, it's stunning. It will take your breath away. The summers here are wonderful, but they last maybe four months if you're lucky. It doesn't warm up until June and it starts getting colder by September.

This is all rather difficult for a California girl to adjust to and it's likely that given another thirty years here, I still wouldn't adjust. I was in San Diego at Christmas time. Even though the temps were in the high 50s and low 60s, that was shorts weather to me! Give me hiking in the San Diego back country, the ocean in all of its wonderfully various incarnations, Balboa Park in spring, I even miss the traffic.

I am counting the days until this semester ends, we sell our house, and we're in San Diego again. For any of those posters that I've seen complain about the "lack of seasons" in SD...my three bedroom, two bath, 1920 home in the Tree District of Laramie, WY is going up for sale in the spring. You'll get seasons here alright, unfortunately (in my opinion anyway), the longest and most tenacious season is winter.

Last edited by Kele; 01-09-2010 at 08:21 AM..

Old 01-09-2010, 06:32 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
If you don't like heat, be grateful you live in Arizona and not Florida. I was just there for a few days. Even at night, it's miserable outside. I'm always happy to come back to Palm Springs, even in the summer. And fall in the desert comes much sooner than fall in Florida (if it ever does).

So true. Florida has the most miserable weather. Right now it is freezing, most of the time it is so hot and humid you are a prisoner of A/C.

I would take the AZ dry heat over humidity anyday.

Old 01-09-2010, 06:45 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,931,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
So true. Florida has the most miserable weather. Right now it is freezing, most of the time it is so hot and humid you are a prisoner of A/C.

I would take the AZ dry heat over humidity anyday.
I'm right there with you, but honestly it's just personal preference. I know plenty of people that prefer the suffocating humidity of Florida over dry heat. Weird to me, but to each their own.

Old 01-10-2010, 08:34 AM

4,244 posts, read 8,762,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
I have a hard time with the word "grateful". Graciousness assumes a gift, a gratuity, something above and beyond what was earned.

I pay lots of good, hard-earned money to live here, I do it by choice and it is not easy. So am I grateful? No. If it was handed to me by a parent, or some luck of being born at the right time to ride a housing market boom, or some other scenario out of the realm of my efforts, then I would be very grateful indeed.
I have to agree with this post. Born in SD and lived in So.CA. for 30+ yrs, my wife and I moved to Houston TX.(Katy) due to job relo......I miss SD and feel very luck to have experience my childhood & party life there..... but I always tell my family/friends "we're never coming back to live".

When it all comes down to it, I feel SD is a overall better place to live than Houston TX.(Katy), but in our case we feel Katy offers a better lifestyle/schools/activities for KIDS (They go all out!).... which is the reason why we'll stay in TX.

Old 01-22-2010, 03:52 AM

97 posts, read 238,622 times
This San Diego place of which you speak of is beautiful. I never been there, but I bet it is beautiful as far as crime too. I just checked it and I see that it's in the mid 50's to 60's and that's good compared to L.A or N.Y.C or Detroit. The images are beautiful too. But don't let woe come to this city for the pride. It's already in New York City!

Old 06-22-2010, 09:58 AM

286 posts, read 678,236 times
Sorry that I am so very late in posting relative to your dilemma.If you are still "stuck" in this awful part of the world Phoenix,Arizona.....I would be MORE THAN HAPPY TO BUY YOU A ONE WAY PLANE TICKET BACK TO SAN DIEGO...SO WE CAN GET YOU AND YOUR BAD ATTITUDE OUT OF OUR GREAT CITY...PHOENIX,ARIZONA.

Old 06-22-2010, 10:18 AM

286 posts, read 678,236 times
Good for you....a non-plastic person....makes two of us.

Old 06-24-2010, 07:46 PM

74 posts, read 177,074 times
I grew up in south Texas where it is hot most of the time and oh, so humid! We lived in Phoenix for seven months (Dec - July) and I remember the winter being dry and lovely. By March, yes it was 95 degrees outside, but in the shade it felt like 85 to me (without the humidity) and I found that tolerable.

But you're right, SD is beautiful and so is the weather. That's why I can't wait to move there in 9 days!

Old 06-24-2010, 09:09 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,576,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texaslamar View Post
That's why I can't wait to move there in 9 days!
What part of town will you be moving to?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego