Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2012, 12:30 AM

2,518 posts, read 4,012,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtoSD? View Post
I really don't think race has anything to do with people's perception of Oakland. It's the whole murder, riots, trashing stores thing that freaks people out. But that "that happens everywhere", right?

Only problem with that logic is that Oakland routinely has one of the highest murder rates in the country. And because criminals go out to eat, visit friends, go to banks, etc in other parts of Oakland like other fellow human beings, that means your likilihood of running into a man that has murdered another man is pretty high.

I worked in Oak for 2 yrs and saw a man pull out a gun right in front of me, in broad daylight, showing it off to his friends. But I know. That happens everywhere.

Old 05-15-2012, 09:45 AM

6,914 posts, read 14,767,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtoSD? View Post
I really don't think race has anything to do with people's perception of Oakland. It's the whole murder, riots, trashing stores thing that freaks people out. But that "that happens everywhere", right?
I'd agree that that's much more the case with people from outside of the Bay... in the Bay, not so much. Those of us from the Bay who have a little historical perspective are very aware of the reality that a lot of the hatred of Oakland has to do with racism. 80 years ago, Oakland was the #1 KKK city on the West Coast. 60 years ago, Oakland became integrated and the vast majority of Oakland's working class white population that lived in East Oakland fled the city for cities like San Leandro. 40 years ago, there was open warfare between the black residents of West Oakland and their own police department, which was largely recruited from the Deep South 30 years before in the 1940's to "deal" with the rising black population. San Leandro was well known for being a whites-only town. If you were black and tried to drive past Durant Mall, you'd promptly be turned around. 30 years ago, Oakland was in the aftermath of the "Great White Scare"; nearly all of its working class and middle class white residents had fled further inland into places like Livermore, Antioch, etc. One example of this reality is that in present day, Antioch has been given the nickname "New Oakland" by its white residents due to the rising black population, which is a pretty obvious nod to the fact that many of them fled Oakland for the purpose of getting away from the black population. Oakland had its highest black population ever at the time, making up 49% of the whole city.

Now, Oakland is 27% black and that percentage continues to dwindle every day. Suddenly, there's a lot more white people from around the Bay - particularly from SF - moving into Oakland, many of whose parents would not have even allowed them to visit Oakland 20 years ago. A large enough critical mass of upper middle class white people have moved to Oakland that the national media is now taking notice of positive aspects of Oakland that have gone unnoticed for decades.

Sorry, but race has a whole lot to do with the perception of Oakland, and nowhere more so than around the Bay. I would know, I'm from one of those parts of the Bay where people inwardly shudder when you say the "O" word despite never having been there.

Quote:
Only problem with that logic is that Oakland routinely has one of the highest murder rates in the country. And because criminals go out to eat, visit friends, go to banks, etc in other parts of Oakland like other fellow human beings, that means your likilihood of running into a man that has murdered another man is pretty high.

I worked in Oak for 2 yrs and saw a man pull out a gun right in front of me, in broad daylight, showing it off to his friends. But I know. That happens everywhere.
That does happen everywhere. You clearly didn't go to middle or high school in one of the urban parts of the Bay.

Old 05-15-2012, 10:13 AM

1,290 posts, read 2,041,514 times
Constantly pointing out other city's crime issues does not make Oakland any safer. The fact remains that they are always in the top 5 year after year in terms of crime.

Old 05-15-2012, 10:43 AM

35 posts, read 50,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragontales View Post
Constantly pointing out other city's crime issues does not make Oakland any safer. The fact remains that they are always in the top 5 year after year in terms of crime.
And what does Obsessing over Oakland's crime rate do other than make you look like a psychopath? Especially if you're a habitual liar who is not from Oakland and claim to have various advanced degree's when in reality you don't.

Old 05-15-2012, 10:57 AM

2,518 posts, read 4,012,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragontales View Post
I've been in the Bay for 20+ years, even lived through the earthquake while watching the Giants-A's, and Oakland has ALWAYS had the reputation of being full of crime.

Either the people complaining about Oakland's crime rep are young (sub-25), or they just like to complain. It's like complaining that Market St in S.F smells like pee.. well, that's been the case for decades!

Old 05-21-2012, 01:47 AM

1 posts, read 1,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffredo View Post
Boy, 5, shot dead in Oakland - latest young victim

Oakland isn't safe. You don't see this kind of crap happening in most suburban parts of the Bay Area. Its a pervasive culture of violence by a certain demographic and if you want to label that racist so be it.
Racist

Old 05-21-2012, 04:50 AM

469 posts, read 913,772 times
I once worked for United in Oakland. I can tell you it is a dangerous, often racist, failed city. I moved a few years ago and it felt like I was set free.

Old 05-21-2012, 04:53 AM

469 posts, read 913,772 times
Quote:
Oakland isn't safe. You don't see this kind of crap happening in most suburban parts of the Bay Area. Its a pervasive culture of violence by a certain demographic and if you want to label that racist so be it.
Yep, truth hurts. Its the textbook example of the failed welfare state.

Old 05-21-2012, 04:55 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,457,092 times
"the only reason people act like they are afraid of oakland is racism"
imho i like oakland--- right next door to the city of brotherly love
but when the sheep huddle the wolves think its discrimination.
my friend katie didnt do nothing-- a pretty white girl from austria, but they still beat her dragged her out of the laundry mat (right off lake merritt) and tried to stuff her in the car so they could gang rape her. as far as i could tell her only provocation was being white and pretty.
she moved after she got out of the hospital
oakland is good but the people there need to take care of the dirty laundry.
oh i almost forgot, please stop the parades and cheering when police are murdered.

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 05-21-2012 at 05:06 AM..

Old 05-21-2012, 03:55 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,850,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojave82 View Post
I once worked for United in Oakland. I can tell you it is a dangerous, often racist, failed city.
The whole city, or just parts of it? And what sort of racism are we addressing here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland