Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 02:13 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,848,696 times

Advertisements

[quote=iHEARTalameda;22528895] you want to talk about suffering thru hot summers that are so humid that a person starts sweating within a few seconds of stepping outside throughout the long summer months?! ABSOLUTELY MISERABLE./quote]

Not to mention getting mobbed by bugs if you did dare to venture outside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2012, 04:44 PM

1,651 posts, read 3,699,074 times
I think the comment was aimed at the miserable foggy chill of the SF summer.

Old 01-14-2012, 04:52 AM

2,781 posts, read 7,212,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkwalton View Post
The thing is though, it's not true. I was so thrilled when I moved to NYC to try NY pizza. I went a couple of spots known for it. Meh. Whatever. There is a Sicilian place that I heard about that's supposed to be incredible, but I didn't get a chance to try that spot.

In contrast, the experience of eating at Katz's Deli you can't get anywhere else and the food is pretty good too.

It's not to say that all eating experiences in NYC can be replicated, they can't. However, to think you can't get excellent pizza or bagels anywhere else borders on crazy. A lot of people just have this thing about spinning the "only in New York" marketing when it's just not how it is.
The best delis are in New Jersey, not NYC.

Old 01-14-2012, 06:27 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,138,681 times
This past summer, in Houston, we had 45 days straight of 100-degree weather with high humidity and no rain. I have never heard of humid desert conditions before. The drought was so pronounced that the ground beneath my driveway settled and caused two concrete slabs to deflect about an inch. I removed many of my dead tropical plants and replaced them with desert succulents and even they had trouble with the gonzo weather. Tonight, it is dipping below freezing, after being in the 80s last week. It did finally rain: six inches in four hours, flooding most of the city. Thats nothing compared to tropical storm Allison, which dumped 20 inches of rain over three days on Houston and caused such severe flooding that most major insurance carriers got out of the flood insurance business in coastal Texas altogether. And don't forget about that humidity that makes cold feel colder and hot feel hotter.

Oh, and before any Dallas or Austin people chime in about how their weather is better than Houston's, save it. I have seen weather that resembled the seven signs of the coming apocalypse in both of those cities, from softball-sized hail, raining mud and tornadoes to a plague of crickets, spontaneous fires, ice storms and 120 degree air temperatures in the same 12- month period.

Texas is hell on earth for weather, but hey -- there's no state income tax, right?

Old 01-14-2012, 05:28 PM

622 posts, read 1,146,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHG722 View Post
The best delis are in New Jersey, not NYC.
And? I lived in the Gold Coast area of New Jersey for a year before I moved back. My point isn't about delis or specialized dining experiences. There is a famous deli in Hoboken that's famous for its mozzarella, and it's rare to find outside of the area.

The point is thinking the only place to get certain foods, like good pizza, is limited to one geographical area. A lot of the pizza in Manhattan isn't all that great and that goes for the name places too. It's just a lie to say otherwise.

Old 01-14-2012, 08:55 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,848,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
but hey -- there's no state income tax, right?

It's all about priorities. As long as the mandated party line is repeated, all is good.

Old 05-10-2012, 09:01 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,603,163 times
[quote=dalparadise;22539325]This past summer, in Houston, we had 45 days straight of 100-degree weather with high humidity and no rain. I have never heard of humid desert conditions before. The drought was so pronounced that the ground beneath my driveway settled and caused two concrete slabs to deflect about an inch. I removed many of my dead tropical plants and replaced them with desert succulents and even they had trouble with the gonzo weather. Tonight, it is dipping below freezing, after being in the 80s last week. It did finally rain: six inches in four hours, flooding most of the city. Thats nothing compared to tropical storm Allison, which dumped 20 inches of rain over three days on Houston and caused such severe flooding that most major insurance carriers got out of the flood insurance business in coastal Texas altogether. And don't forget about that humidity that makes cold feel colder and hot feel hotter.

Oh, and before any Dallas or Austin people chime in about how their weather is better than Houston's, save it. I have seen weather that resembled the seven signs of the coming apocalypse in both of those cities, from softball-sized hail, raining mud and tornadoes to a plague of crickets, spontaneous fires, ice storms and 120 degree air temperatures in the same 12- month period.

Texas is hell on earth for weather, but hey -- there's no state income tax, right?[/quote]

This post deserves multiple reps. The "hey no state tax "is the most overused statement for trying to sell someone on how great their state is, heard it in Florida and tenn all the time.

Old 05-11-2012, 07:57 AM

327 posts, read 767,183 times
I have no complaints about Austin, TX. I absolutely love it here. The weather can be a bummer, sure, but it is just as bad in the Bay where decent, short-sleeve weather is a luxury. Something else about the climate there that dries the heck out of my skin that I can't quite put a finger on. It couldn't be the lack in humidity, could it? I suppose most of the moisture in the air there comes from the water. Anywho, having eczema, it is certainly not fun to have to battle through that every time I go. I also like not having to worry "too much" about crime here. Not to say that it isn't an issue - it is (albeit a very small issue). It's just that I feel safer here than in SF without a doubt.

Old 05-11-2012, 08:00 AM

Right. And wait till you get your property tax bill in a no-state-income-tax state.

[quote=dreamofmonterey;24253094]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
This past summer, in Houston, we had 45 days straight of 100-degree weather with high humidity and no rain. I have never heard of humid desert conditions before. The drought was so pronounced that the ground beneath my driveway settled and caused two concrete slabs to deflect about an inch. I removed many of my dead tropical plants and replaced them with desert succulents and even they had trouble with the gonzo weather. Tonight, it is dipping below freezing, after being in the 80s last week. It did finally rain: six inches in four hours, flooding most of the city. Thats nothing compared to tropical storm Allison, which dumped 20 inches of rain over three days on Houston and caused such severe flooding that most major insurance carriers got out of the flood insurance business in coastal Texas altogether. And don't forget about that humidity that makes cold feel colder and hot feel hotter.

Texas is hell on earth for weather, but hey -- there's no state income tax, right?[/quote]

This post deserves multiple reps. The "hey no state tax "is the most overused statement for trying to sell someone on how great their state is, heard it in Florida and tenn all the time.

Old 05-11-2012, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jink View Post
I have no complaints about Austin, TX. I absolutely love it here. The weather can be a bummer, sure, but it is just as bad in the Bay where decent, short-sleeve weather is a luxury. Something else about the climate there that dries the heck out of my skin that I can't quite put a finger on. It couldn't be the lack in humidity, could it? I suppose most of the moisture in the air there comes from the water. Anywho, having eczema, it is certainly not fun to have to battle through that every time I go. I also like not having to worry "too much" about crime here. Not to say that it isn't an issue - it is (albeit a very small issue). It's just that I feel safer here than in SF without a doubt.
Your perception of safety is a bit askew. Texas is violent and property crime ridden. At least in SF, you know when you've crossed into the wrong neighborhood. In TX, it seems cleaner and newer, giving the perception of safety. Be careful, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland