Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 01:46 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,847,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatCurve View Post
Nevada has no state income tax yet the property tax is extremely low.
Nevada's an armpit. Armpits are cheap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2012, 01:54 AM

677 posts, read 835,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Nevada's an armpit. Armpits are cheap.
I'd live in Las Vegas over anywhere in Texas any day. Cost of living is extremely low, lots of good cheap food, more entertainment than you can handle, great weather except the hot dry summers, lots of recreation, great roads, little traffic, majority is very clean, low humidity, no bugs, great views, everything is fairly new, etc.

Old 05-12-2012, 04:34 AM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,240,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jink View Post
Basically, what I've learned is that if you have a bike, even if it's a half-assed bike, and the hipsters see it, they will take it. If you aren't on that thing, they will do anything to steal it! I've had a few buddies get their bikes taken right off their trucks in broad daylight.
SF has a pretty bad bicycle theft problem too. I actually saw a homeless guy steal a bike off of someone's car myself, also in broad daylight. He rode it away into golden gate park, then he returned 5 minutes later and grabbed the second bike that was on there. And that's why you lock your bike to your bike rack! Or better yet, never leave them on the rack at all.

Old 05-13-2012, 10:13 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,847,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatCurve View Post
I'd live in Las Vegas over anywhere in Texas any day.
Comparing an armpit to a buttcrack. But the cost is less, so why not?

Old 05-13-2012, 10:55 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,281,603 times
I don't consider myself 'lucky' to live here. I work damn hard and I deserve all the benefits that the Bay Area has to offer.

Old 05-21-2012, 07:46 AM

46 posts, read 78,735 times
Exactly what does San Francisco have that other MAJOR cities do not? I lived there for over 2.5 years and I was quite bored. Last week I met Miguel Algarin the owner of the famous Nuyorican Poet Cafe. He liked my style. As a jazz saxophonist I am meeting with him Tuesday at my apt to work out songs on his upcoming CD. I took a bike ride to Prospect Park, ate at some Cali style farm to table restaurant, hit up a jam session hosted by members of Wynton Marsalis' Band til 4 in the morning, walked across Brooklyn bridge, walked through chinatown and back across Manhattan bridge. Now what am I missing. I'm doing all of these things in a bigger apt for the same price I was pay in SF.

Old 05-21-2012, 07:52 AM

1,651 posts, read 3,698,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmac6270 View Post
Exactly what does San Francisco have that other MAJOR cities do not? I lived there for over 2.5 years and I was quite bored. Last week I met Miguel Algarin the owner of the famous Nuyorican Poet Cafe. He liked my style. As a jazz saxophonist I am meeting with him Tuesday at my apt to work out songs on his upcoming CD. I took a bike ride to Prospect Park, ate at some Cali style farm to table restaurant, hit up a jam session hosted by members of Wynton Marsalis' Band til 4 in the morning, walked across Brooklyn bridge, walked through chinatown and back across Manhattan bridge. Now what am I missing. I'm doing all of these things in a bigger apt for the same price I was pay in SF.
Check back in with us in February when the salt and slush and snow have destroyed yet another pair of your shoes and you discover what a 'cold' winter really is.

Or in August when it's 95% and so humid paint peels off your walls and you wake up in a pool of sweat every 20 minutes.

Or when you crave some fresh fruits or vegetables and see what an apple costs you at at Bodega - an apple that's been trucked across the country, sitting in warehouses for days and days along the way.

Old 05-21-2012, 08:53 AM

46 posts, read 78,735 times
I actually lived in NY 10 years before SF so the Heat and Cold are not a problem. You may also look into buying a pair of rain or snow boots for a city like this. It's sort of like having an umbrella when it rains. It is totally optional. I enjoy the heat especially all of the beautiful women who are wearing practically nothing. I just joined a CSA at the YMCA next door so my veggies, fruit and eggs will come from upstate NY. If the CSA does not have it, i will get groceries delivered from FreshDirect.com. Or I will walked to the many co-ops near me. So what is it again that I am missing from SF? My girlfriend is probably bump into Anne Hathaway again on her way home today.

Old 05-21-2012, 09:12 AM

27,575 posts, read 28,680,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttocs99 View Post
It truly is a love/hate thing. Either you love it or you don't. I was born and raised in NYC, lived there for my first 36 years of my life, moved to SF in 1999, and was lucky enough to live in the Bay Area until 2006. Moved back to NYC in 2006, and everyday I'm here, I'm wishing I was back living in the Bay Area. You either get it, or you don't.
I guess so. I've been to San Francisco a couple of times. It's great if you like the nice weather and scenery.

But I found the city itself to be kind of boring after a while. To each their own.

Old 05-21-2012, 12:01 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,240,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I guess so. I've been to San Francisco a couple of times. It's great if you like the nice weather and scenery.

But I found the city itself to be kind of boring after a while. To each their own.
It's great for a lot more reasons than the scenery and weather...and I'm confused as to how one can get bored in any major city, especially one like SF/the Bay Area, which is overflowing with all sorts of amenities, events, and different types of people. But whatever floats your boat, I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland