Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 11:53 PM

506 posts, read 1,154,979 times

Advertisements

I'm here largely to avoid the hot summers, I don't have a car, and I still have had to deal with really warm weather in the bay area pretty often, just doing normal stuff. Bleck!

*mumble San Mateo fairground mumble*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2012, 12:13 PM

675 posts, read 1,190,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jink View Post
Why not move back to SF? Sold your soul to your job?
I moved back to NYC after getting divorced from my wife. Though I had a decent amount of friends in SF, most of my friends and family were back east in NY. I figured it would be good to have that family support while going through the divorce. The problem wound up being that my sister's kid (then 6), now 12, became very attached when I moved back to NY, I'm his favorite Uncle, and like a 2nd dad to him. I've been threatened bodily harm if I move back before he goes to college, lol.

Old 05-29-2012, 05:12 PM

13 posts, read 21,507 times
So I'm considering a move to either San Diego or San Fransisco from Pittsburgh PA. I was a little worried about the whether being cloudy and dreary like it is here in Pgh but you guys are really swaying me towards SF. I think I was meant to read through this thread. :-)

Old 05-29-2012, 09:15 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,848,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA-DC-CHI View Post
i disagree, i'm a bay native and have come to love hot humid summers
Many of these across the country come with swarms of extremely annoying bugs buzzing you the second you open the door. Not fun doing anything outside under such conditions.

Old 05-30-2012, 11:07 AM

1,790 posts, read 2,928,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRN1971 View Post
So I'm considering a move to either San Diego or San Fransisco from Pittsburgh PA. I was a little worried about the whether being cloudy and dreary like it is here in Pgh but you guys are really swaying me towards SF. I think I was meant to read through this thread. :-)
both places are awesome but i prefer the north!

Old 05-30-2012, 01:27 PM

1,569 posts, read 2,045,040 times
Nice place to visit, but I'm glad I live 50 miles away. My sister lives in S.F and is always trying to convince me of how great it is - I have to wonder how great a place is when people are always trying to convince people of how great it is (I suspect they're trying to convince themselves).

Old 05-30-2012, 08:44 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,138,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimmerama View Post
Nice place to visit, but I'm glad I live 50 miles away. My sister lives in S.F and is always trying to convince me of how great it is - I have to wonder how great a place is when people are always trying to convince people of how great it is (I suspect they're trying to convince themselves).
Well, you're wrong. SF is the t!ts.

Old 05-30-2012, 09:46 PM

1,569 posts, read 2,045,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
Well, you're wrong. SF is the t!ts.
When did t!ts become a bad thing?

Old 05-31-2012, 08:50 AM

675 posts, read 1,190,814 times
What I love and miss about the Bay Area is just the beauty of the area. I lived in Walnut Creek for 7 years, and I loved that I could just wake up, get in my car, and take a day trip to Napa/Sonoma, in my opinion, one of the most beautiful places on earth. Or, I could take a day trip to Sausalito, also another jewel in the Bay area. Or I could take a trip to Monteray, or Lake Tahoe, all of these places within 2 hours of where I live, and all, breathtakingly beautiful places. If I want to drive a little further, there is Yosemite. There is NOWHERE near NYC that I can go to that matches these beautiful areas, or offers what can be had when traveling to these places.

Sure, there are many young folks who can't understand the simple beauty of these areas, maybe it's too boring for those people who can only enjoy the hectic nightlife of NYC. To each their own, Those are just some of the areas near the Bay Area (or in the Bay Area) that I absolutely love/loved, and miss big time. It's the simple things in life I enjoy, and sipping wine in Napa, or enjoying lunch in Sonoma Plaza (also with a glass of wine), or sitting in Angelinos in Sausalito enjoying a great lunch while staring at the Bay and San Francisco across the Bay, or taking a night time dinner cruise on Lake Tahoe, going to the Monteray Aquarium, these are all my versions of heaven. To each their own, like I said, some people can't enjoy these type of simple pleasures, I sure miss them. It's a love/hate thing with San Francisco and the Bay area, some people get it, some don't.

Old 05-31-2012, 10:40 AM

1,290 posts, read 2,041,335 times
^
I know exactly what you are talking about. I've been to many of those locations you mentioned and I enjoy them tremendously although I'm not much of a wine person. I do enjoy going to sonoma/napa for great spas and massages. And the natural scenery cannot be beat!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland