Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 08:06 AM

327 posts, read 767,183 times

Advertisements

[quote=dalparadise;24257379]Right. And wait till you get your property tax bill in a no-state-income-tax state.

I am more than happy to pay a $2k property tax than more than double the cost of living. Seeing mediocre homes in SF starting out at around $600k does not tickle my fancy in the least bit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2012, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
Your perception of safety is a bit askew. Texas is violent and property crime ridden. At least in SF, you know when you've crossed into the wrong neighborhood. In TX, it seems cleaner and newer, giving the perception of safety. Be careful, though.
Texas as a whole? I'm pretty sure it is. I'm not talking about Texas as a whole, though, I'm talking about Austin vs. SF... unless, of course, we <b>are</b> discussing CA vs. TX?

Old 05-11-2012, 08:13 AM

26 posts, read 46,183 times
I lived in The City for most of my life, went to SFSU, was married at city hall, bought a house in Bernal and had two kids at UCSF. About nine months ago we rented out our house and moved to La Jolla and, although it is very different than SF, so far I like it much better and I am happier down here. I will miss SF and will always ome back to visit friends but SF is just not the same as it was since the late ninties dot com boom. Oh well, out with the old, in with the new.

Old 05-11-2012, 08:45 AM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,240,809 times
Quote:
Your perception of safety is a bit askew. Texas is violent and property crime ridden. At least in SF, you know when you've crossed into the wrong neighborhood. In TX, it seems cleaner and newer, giving the perception of safety. Be careful, though.
Austin has a much lower violent crime rate than SF. It does have a higher property crime rate than SF though, aside from vehicle theft, in which SF is worse.

Old 05-11-2012, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
Austin has a much lower violent crime rate than SF. It does have a higher property crime rate than SF though, aside from vehicle theft, in which SF is worse.
Basically, what I've learned is that if you have a bike, even if it's a half-assed bike, and the hipsters see it, they will take it. If you aren't on that thing, they will do anything to steal it! I've had a few buddies get their bikes taken right off their trucks in broad daylight.

Old 05-11-2012, 09:10 AM

675 posts, read 1,190,814 times
I didn't read through all 11 pages, due to the fact that some will agree wholeheartedly with the OP (Like myself, wish I still lived in the Bay Area insted of NY), and others will attack people's love of San Francisco. It truly is a love/hate thing. Either you love it or you don't. I was born and raised in NYC, lived there for my first 36 years of my life, moved to SF in 1999, and was lucky enough to live in the Bay Area until 2006. Moved back to NYC in 2006, and everyday I'm here, I'm wishing I was back living in the Bay Area. You either get it, or you don't.

Old 05-11-2012, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttocs99 View Post
I didn't read through all 11 pages, due to the fact that some will agree wholeheartedly with the OP (Like myself, wish I still lived in the Bay Area insted of NY), and others will attack people's love of San Francisco. It truly is a love/hate thing. Either you love it or you don't. I was born and raised in NYC, lived there for my first 36 years of my life, moved to SF in 1999, and was lucky enough to live in the Bay Area until 2006. Moved back to NYC in 2006, and everyday I'm here, I'm wishing I was back living in the Bay Area. You either get it, or you don't.
Why not move back to SF? Sold your soul to your job?

Old 05-11-2012, 02:23 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by analyze_this View Post
I have lived/ traveled all over the country and there is no city as beautiful with such lovely weather, great restaurants, diversity, breathtaking natural beauty as SF/ Bay Area.

Do you people have any idea that you live in the closest thing to paradise in the country despite the high COL? I am so jealous of you all...I have to rot in the miserable winters of the east coast till I can relo out there.
Thankyou, thank you, thank you! I think almost anyone who lives there would realize they're blessed. I was born and raised there, and my dream is to get back. Indeed, a paradise, unless you're stuck in some inner city area. Funny how people can take paradise for granted after they've lived there a long time, though.

Old 05-12-2012, 12:54 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,848,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Thankyou, thank you, thank you! I think almost anyone who lives there would realize they're blessed.
ADHDAndy might not agree. Some folks in the area make a 24/7 commitment to being as miserable as they possibly can in SF. Happens everywhere.

Old 05-12-2012, 01:43 AM

677 posts, read 835,700 times
Quote:
Right. And wait till you get your property tax bill in a no-state-income-tax state.
Nevada has no state income tax yet the property tax is extremely low.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland