Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2018, 11:36 AM

21,741 posts, read 16,365,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolochs View Post
I disagree. It IS worse, and has been becoming so rapidly! I guess it depends on how you measure or perceive, and how in-touch you are with other parts of the city.

I live in the suburbs approx. 9 miles outside downtown SD and there's a distinct uptick in transients/homeless and activity, certainly in District 7 (Navajo, Allied Gardens, Del Cerro, San Carlos area), that has never been as widespread as it has become particularly in the last year. I live on a mesa off Waring Rd. surrounded by canyons, and a week never goes by *now* that police helicopters aren't circling the canyons, spotlights out, identifying homeless campfires, chasing down thieves who hope to disappear into the canyon. The canyon "Navajo Park" used to be a pleasant hike spot for neighbors; now not many would be caught dead hiking through there for what you might come upon. It was just two years ago a transient hiked out of the canyon up a hill to Del Cerro and raped two women in their home, murdered one. Maybe you didn't get that news all the way down in the Midway area. Our local shopping center now has homeless and their shopping carts sitting on the sidewalks of the center all the time, pushing carts up surrounding streets, riding those *free* bikes loaded down with their belongings, when we only used to see this rarely. A homeless man in a battered old camper and his cohorts (suspected of dealing drugs) tries to park in the parking lot and is repeatedly being asked to leave, but keeps coming back. Theft, car breakins are the worst any of us ever remember based on nextdoor.com The non-pavement easement alley between homes on my own street used to be a pleasant hike with dogs, green and scattered with wildflowers. Now it's littered with needles, used condoms, feces, and remnants of overnight shelters.

Sure....homelessness isn't wall-to-wall (as I never said it was), but it IS getting worse and the pockets where it does exist, or has moved to, makes those seeing it, all the more aware. In EVERY city...not just SF, and no...just the dregs streets of SD. Our beautiful lil' Beaver Cleaver community is nowhere near the same as it used to be, and that can largely be chalked up to the homeless/transient effect. If you choose not to believe it....come visit.
Well I do agree the problem is worsening - everywhere. I just don’t think hyperbole is helpful. Good luck with your Beaver Cleaver community problems, really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2018, 11:45 AM

437 posts, read 436,474 times
Just being real. Defending city image by making it sound like it isn't so bad doesn't serve anyone.
(I don't personally consider rape and murder by a transient "Beaver Cleaver community problems" ...DO YOU? )

Last edited by carolochs; 08-29-2018 at 01:02 PM..

Old 08-29-2018, 12:10 PM

1,570 posts, read 1,380,890 times
San Francisco needs to invest in $70 grand's worth of these little beauties. What a great invention. I know, it's meant for dogs, but poop is poop, albeit human smells a lot worse and can be runnier (sheesh, the things we eat); however, just check out how this critter picks up runny chilli.

You guys in SF have my sympathy. Even though my podunk town is called Tijuana del Norte, I have never seen human poop or needles anywhere they don't belong. Hope you folks can find a soluttion.

Old 08-29-2018, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolochs View Post
Just being real. Defending city image by making it sound like it isn't so bad doesn't serve anyone.
I’m not concerned with city image of any town. The problem is growing everywhere and is serious enough without fear mongering, which makes people more antagonistic toward each other while this gets sorted out ... which is going to take a lot of time.

7600 homeless are not holding 900,000 San Franciscans hostage.
9600 homeless are not holding 3.3 million San Diegans hostage either.

... except mentally.

Old 08-29-2018, 12:44 PM

830 posts, read 487,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
I’m not concerned with city image of any town. The problem is growing everywhere and is serious enough without fear mongering, which makes people more antagonistic toward each other while this gets sorted out ... which is going to take a lot of time.

7600 homeless are not holding 900,000 San Franciscans hostage.
9600 homeless are not holding 3.3 million San Diegans hostage either.

... except mentally.
They may not be holding hostage, but they are decreasing quality of life for the "regular" citizens of these places.

Old 08-29-2018, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dapper Zoom View Post
They may not be holding hostage, but they are decreasing quality of life for the "regular" citizens of these places.
Pretty odd point of view given the wealth, culture and diversity of the City and its housed residents’ qualities of life. It’s a mess ... but one that seems to have not slowed the ridiculous gentrification one bit ... just created a couple no-man’s land zones, out of which spill the faceless denizens the residents hate to see and acknowledge.

Old 08-29-2018, 01:37 PM

830 posts, read 487,184 times
Quote:
Pretty odd point of view given the wealth, culture and diversity of the City and its housed residents’ qualities of life. It’s a mess ... but one that seems to have not slowed the ridiculous gentrification one bit ... just created a couple no-man’s land zones, out of which spill the faceless denizens the residents hate to see and acknowledge.
You think that suggesting feces and syringe covered streets and ranting, drug crazed people reduce quality of life is an odd point of view? Please do tell.

Old 08-29-2018, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dapper Zoom View Post
You think that suggesting feces and syringe covered streets and ranting, drug crazed people reduce quality of life is an odd point of view? Please do tell.
No. I agree those are gross unpleasantries ... that are quite avoidable most of the time by most of the City’s 900,000 residents. I’m not glossing over them a bit. I’m pointing out that the City remains vibrant and remarkable in spite of them.

Old 08-29-2018, 08:46 PM

1,516 posts, read 1,249,409 times
Quote:
No. I agree those are gross unpleasantries ... that are quite avoidable most of the time by most of the City’s 900,000 residents.
Yeah, so long as you never set foot in the east side of the city. If you work, shop, or visit any museums anywhere near downtown good luck trying to avoid it.

Old 08-29-2018, 09:22 PM

629 posts, read 620,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likealady View Post
Yeah, so long as you never set foot in the east side of the city. If you work, shop, or visit any museums anywhere near downtown good luck trying to avoid it.
Using logic and reason to counter a telemutt rant is a futile effort, but everyone else appreciates it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland