Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2019, 12:39 PM

36,684 posts, read 67,677,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcisive View Post
A bit ironic. I can watch Illegals checking out at the Walmart Supercenter with several carts full and they whip out their EBT card (the freebies from our government) and don't think twice about the unwarranted gifts they get for virtually nothing. Yet our homeless have to fend for themselves and suffer. Welcome to the U.S. government
What a load of crap. And you know theyre illegal how exactly?

Anyone who needs help could apply-you falsely imply that somehow undocumented residents receive preferential treatment to "our" homeless? What a laugh.

If they were really "your" homeless youd lobby hard for the govt to build permanent housing for them, you'd support spending the billions needed to deal with their mental health and addiction issues etc.

Spare us the "those" illegals vs "our" homeless nonsense because you probably dislike both groups just as vehemently.

Yawns.

Old 11-18-2019, 12:53 PM

18,741 posts, read 33,470,536 times
No shelter housing where I shop and go. I often see the same guy who looks rather beauty with his German Shepherd. I didn't see him for a while and then saw him, looking a bit cleaned up. I told him I'd been worried when I hadn't seen him and gave him my usual five bucks. We god blessed and smiled. I can't turn down someone who takes care of his dog.
There is no Salvation Army or any such around here to donate to, but there is a Welcome Home Veterans center that I support, as I think some of the people I see around are vets.

There is so much work around the area that I wonder if someone who is reasonably well put together and can stand on a corner all day might be able to take a job. Taco Bell has an employee on the main road sidewalk waving people in with a sign to apply for work.

I have seen many poor and homeless people in my psych job back East. But there are more services there than where I am living now. If the guy I give five bucks to is buying weed, I don't really care. Life is tough.

Old 11-18-2019, 06:09 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,624,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
No shelter housing where I shop and go. I often see the same guy who looks rather beauty with his German Shepherd. I didn't see him for a while and then saw him, looking a bit cleaned up. I told him I'd been worried when I hadn't seen him and gave him my usual five bucks. We god blessed and smiled. I can't turn down someone who takes care of his dog.
There is no Salvation Army or any such around here to donate to, but there is a Welcome Home Veterans center that I support, as I think some of the people I see around are vets.

There is so much work around the area that I wonder if someone who is reasonably well put together and can stand on a corner all day might be able to take a job. Taco Bell has an employee on the main road sidewalk waving people in with a sign to apply for work.

I have seen many poor and homeless people in my psych job back East. But there are more services there than where I am living now. If the guy I give five bucks to is buying weed, I don't really care. Life is tough.
That is a good attitude. It's the one I had until, in my particular area, they seem to be professional panhandlers. And there are too many.

The most recent thing I did was I met a homeless man who was getting water and something else. Band aids? From the paramedics. I didn't know they give people water. Pretty cool. Anyway, he was asking them for neosporin which they do not provide so I went and bought some.

Old 11-19-2019, 10:44 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,611,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post

Yeah... it's hard getting used to when you first move to SF, but you'll grow thick skin quickly when you get burned numerous times helping them. If you really feel bad and not a CD troll, volunteer at homeless shelters.

I just moved to Sf not too long ago......& I know it’s better to give money or do work at shelters......BUT...why do you think you are being “burned“? Do you feel bad or any empathy for homeless people?

Old 11-19-2019, 12:48 PM

24,413 posts, read 27,073,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
I just moved to Sf not too long ago......& I know it’s better to give money or do work at shelters......BUT...why do you think you are being “burned“? Do you feel bad or any empathy for homeless people?

"You will get burned" meaning you go there feeling bad, but eventually you lose most empathy after being yelled at, cursed out for trying to be nice and then witnessing them breaking into cars, crapping on the sidewalk, screaming obscenities in public in front of seniors and children, etc. There is on occasion I'd come across a really nice person who is not a druggie, not demanding cash and I would want to help by buying some cooked food or groceries (bread is most desired as it lasts awhile in terms of hunger and spoilage), but the feeling of... "omg my heart breaks seeing all these homeless people" goes away for most SF locals when you live it and work it every day. It's easy to be a bleeding heart when you live in the mountains away from it all and just visit the city for a couple hours riding the cable cars through the tourist parts of the city.

Old 11-19-2019, 01:09 PM

Quote:
"You will get burned" meaning you go there feeling bad, but eventually you lose most empathy after being yelled at, cursed out for trying to be nice and then witnessing them breaking into cars, crapping on the sidewalk, screaming obscenities in public in front of seniors and children, etc. There is on occasion I'd come across a really nice person who is not a druggie, not demanding cash and I would want to help by buying some cooked food or groceries (bread is most desired as it lasts awhile in terms of hunger and spoilage), but the feeling of... "omg my heart breaks seeing all these homeless people" goes away for most SF locals when you live it and work it every day. It's easy to be a bleeding heart when you live in the mountains away from it all and just visit the city for a couple hours riding the cable cars through the tourist parts of the city.

I am going to make sure I never lose my empathy for the homeless......I don’t want to be a hardened & jaded person that doesn’t feel for the broken & the sick.....

We need to fix it somehow.....

Old 11-19-2019, 01:28 PM

24,413 posts, read 27,073,071 times
Quote:
I am going to make sure I never lose my empathy for the homeless......I don’t want to be a hardened & jaded person that doesn’t feel for the broken & the sick.....

We need to fix it somehow.....
Start by allowing some to sleep in your living room or spare bedrooms (if applicable). Until you personally make sacrifices to help them, you are no different than the most jaded person.

Old 11-19-2019, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Start by allowing some to sleep in your living room or spare bedrooms (if applicable). Until you personally make sacrifices to help them, you are no different than the most jaded person.

I can help........or feel empathy......without inviting any stranger into my home. I feel empathy for stray kittens too.....I don’t have to house them all to *be no different than a jaded person*.....

Old 11-19-2019, 05:27 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,624,672 times
Quote:
I can help........or feel empathy......without inviting any stranger into my home. I feel empathy for stray kittens too.....I don’t have to house them all to *be no different than a jaded person*.....
Yeah but empathy doesn't help them. Food, water, a blanket, a coat, socks, etc. These things help them.

Although, some appreciate just conversation. I am a BLEEDING HEART for the homeless. I saw one guy walking past my gate with a huge backpack in the over 100 degree heat. I took him a bottle of water and he just wanted someone to listen to him for a while.

Most people treat them as sub human so they do appreciate attention.

Old 11-19-2019, 06:01 PM

8,761 posts, read 3,933,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Yeah but empathy doesn't help them. Food, water, a blanket, a coat, socks, etc. These things help them.

Most people treat them as sub human so they do appreciate attention.
Couldn't agree more; but the ability to help (or treat all people as human) begins with the ability to empathize. If one sees the homeless as 'different' i.e. it's 'all their fault' and 'they are out to burn me/pandhandle' - it's pretty clear said person will never 'help' in any way, (obviously) as they are too busy seeing themselves as victims (rather than empathizing).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland