Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2019, 10:15 PM

21,741 posts, read 16,365,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
Of course it's not the only cause; I'm stating it's a significant one (along with addiction) in terms of chronic homelessness. We can debate all night as to the various causes (and probably won't agree); but from my perspective, we have to start somewhere - and it's as good a place as any as there can be no denying the connection between mental illness and addiction to chronic homelessness.
I did agree it is a big part of the chronic picture. And so is addiction ... which can be rightfully classed as a mental illness as well. And I do also agree your focus on mental illness is a good aspect to prioritize. These are the miserable worst who are the most visible and have become the stereo-type in the minds of much of the general public. Overall they cost the most to leave on the streets, as well.

Old 11-21-2019, 10:30 PM

8,673 posts, read 3,876,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
I did agree it is a big part of the chronic picture. And so is addiction ... which can be rightfully classed as a mental illness as well. And I do also agree your focus on mental illness is a good aspect to prioritize. These are the miserable worst who are the most visible and have become the stereo-type in the minds of much of the general public. Overall they cost the most to leave on the streets, as well.
There is much happening in the City these days in re: mental health reform and homelessness, since Bland became SF's first Director of Mental Health Reform. It's certainly a hot topic here currently (less so addiction).

Old 11-22-2019, 09:17 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,584,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Feelings... everyone has them.

Putting your feelings into action is the hard part... although some truly do... as my remarkable high school teacher who truly walked the walked... he was a regular at Saint Anthony's Dining Room in SF... one Thanksgiving he was serving as he always did... donating 20 hours per week.

One of the diners step in ahead of all the others and my teacher gave him a small portion saying he could come back for more... the person did not like that and demanded more and when he did not get it took the tray and smacked it across teachers face requiring 30 stitches and it looked horrific for a very long time and scars to this day... the edge of the tray violently acted like a blade slicing his face.

Sure enough... the next weekend he was back serving just as he has always done... a very rare man indeed and practice.

There are people down on their luck and those that just need a hand up... there are also plenty that game the system...

Local SF TV station did undercover reporting on pan handling that found some Homeless actually owned homes and one woman owned a late model Mercedes... pan handling was just how she paid the bills... when questioned she said it makes people feel good to help and giving makes them feel good so no harm.

I think one profession with many jaded is law enforcement... know many that started idealistic but reality does set in...

Ita everybody has feelings......but for some it’s feelings of hate & contempt.....

I know there are scammers that game the system.....but people don’t become homeless because that’s what they grew up wanting to do. There are always going to be a couple of bad apples.....but that’s not a reason to stop treating people like people or to turn our noses on the homeless. I don’t ever want to get so jaded I stop treating people like people.....just because I think I got scammed out of $5 once even tho I know they aren’t driving a Mercedes. Without Lava Mae....they wouldn’t even be able to shower or have basic hygiene........nobody wants to live like that.......without dignity of personal hygiene & people think you are dirt.....

I have given money to the homeless.....I hope they got some food but I’ll never know. Call me a bleeding heart........I’ll wear it proudly tho......

Old 11-22-2019, 09:27 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,769,893 times
I gave them food once, but the guy I gave food looked pretty decent, dressed nicely too. He could technically get a job.

Old 11-22-2019, 12:58 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,692,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
Ita everybody has feelings......but for some it’s feelings of hate & contempt.....

I know there are scammers that game the system.....but people don’t become homeless because that’s what they grew up wanting to do. There are always going to be a couple of bad apples.....but that’s not a reason to stop treating people like people or to turn our noses on the homeless. I don’t ever want to get so jaded I stop treating people like people.....just because I think I got scammed out of $5 once even tho I know they aren’t driving a Mercedes. Without Lava Mae....they wouldn’t even be able to shower or have basic hygiene........nobody wants to live like that.......without dignity of personal hygiene & people think you are dirt.....

I have given money to the homeless.....I hope they got some food but I’ll never know. Call me a bleeding heart........I’ll wear it proudly tho......
Over the years I have come to know several... some are not homeless in the sense they live in their car or camper...

Jim is one... he is a vet and very clean... he parks in the corner about one night a week and I have never banged on the camper telling him to move...

One day I asked why he lives in the camper... he said he doesn't like rules and he can't rent with his 3 dogs... dogs are better than people so he lives in his camper on his disability check... again... he is never a problem... said he knows several like me that let him stay overnight and keeps rotating...

He made a choice and I respect it...

Another is Mike... quite a character... he makes his rounds every day going through the waste cans... looking for things... Mike said he had a job, home, kids, wife... he said he had it all... came home and found his wife cheating... she said he was abusive... according to him he would rather die than let that ***** have a penny... said he owes child support so he will never work again...

Everyone has story...

Then there is Tammy... she has aids and does tricks for liquor... some don't care and she has been in and out of the Psyche facility... all the law enforcement and EMT know her... she OD last year... I can't help but wonder how many others now have aids?

Tammy is unusual being a woman on the streets... almost exclusively male here.

Pets can be the reason not going to a shelter or getting housing...

Old 11-22-2019, 01:37 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,584,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Over the years I have come to know several... some are not homeless in the sense they live in their car or camper...

Jim is one... he is a vet and very clean... he parks in the corner about one night a week and I have never banged on the camper telling him to move...

One day I asked why he lives in the camper... he said he doesn't like rules and he can't rent with his 3 dogs... dogs are better than people so he lives in his camper on his disability check... again... he is never a problem... said he knows several like me that let him stay overnight and keeps rotating...

He made a choice and I respect it...

Another is Mike... quite a character... he makes his rounds every day going through the waste cans... looking for things... Mike said he had a job, home, kids, wife... he said he had it all... came home and found his wife cheating... she said he was abusive... according to him he would rather die than let that ***** have a penny... said he owes child support so he will never work again...

Everyone has story...

Then there is Tammy... she has aids and does tricks for liquor... some don't care and she has been in and out of the Psyche facility... all the law enforcement and EMT know her... she OD last year... I can't help but wonder how many others now have aids?

Tammy is unusual being a woman on the streets... almost exclusively male here.

Pets

I see women too....I don’t need their story to feel compassion tho.....I can see the shape they are in now........

I give money tho...I don’t know how not to.....

Old 11-27-2019, 10:27 PM

15 posts, read 11,575 times
Guys, thank you very much. Indeed, it was a rich debate. Tomorrow, my friends and I are giving free meals to the homeless. That's being said, HAPPY THANKSGIVING. Let us all be thankful for what we have.

Old 11-27-2019, 11:32 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,576,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jillnorman View Post
Guys, thank you very much. Indeed, it was a rich debate. Tomorrow, my friends and I are giving free meals to the homeless. That's being said, HAPPY THANKSGIVING. Let us all be thankful for what we have.
Good on you. You might ask first instead of just handing them to all. Some will throw it in the trash. Most will be thankful.

Old 11-28-2019, 09:03 AM

8,673 posts, read 3,876,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Good on you. You might ask first instead of just handing them to all. Some will throw it in the trash. Most will be thankful.
It's best to assist the various programs/charities/locations throughout the City in this endeavor, particularly if you want to help on a larger scale (rather than randomly 'passing out turkey dinners'). There are many potential issues in re: food sharing/distribution.

That said, 'throwing it in the trash' is unlikely (and an odd thing to mention when discussing feeding the homeless/mentally ill on Thanksgiving).

Happy Thanksgiving.

Old 11-28-2019, 09:26 AM

1,642 posts, read 1,647,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldJTrump View Post
i dont give anything to homeless...not even a penny
You are a troll definitely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland