Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2019, 06:12 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,616,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
Couldn't agree more; but the ability to help (or treat all people as human) begins with the ability to empathize. If one sees the homeless as 'different' i.e. it's 'all their fault' and 'they are out to burn me/pandhandle' - it's pretty clear said person will never 'help' in any way, (obviously) as they are too busy seeing themselves as victims (rather than empathizing).
I think you and I have discussed this before. Where I live, the way they act here, I do often completely ignore them. Certain unique circumstances I react differently. I gave one woman $20 recently, which is a really unusual amount for me. Usually no more than $5 with my income. But it was spontaneous. You know what she did next time she saw me? Gave me a dress. It's actually a nice dress. I guess it was too small for her.

See that is the type of person we want to help! Not because I needed the dress. It's the principle. She had something to give and didn't just want to be a taker.

I don't like to give to the homeless man who takes care of a cat except to buy cat food. He rubs me the wrong way. The way he asks is rude. But I caved one time when he needed $4 for a specific purpose and asked nicely. And he wanted a sandwich instead of beer like normal so I bought that.

I read in the paper he has an apartment now and I am glad for him. I wonder if he took the cat in - I won't get to see him anymore! He's my buddy. I ALWAYS help animals.

Old 11-19-2019, 06:27 PM

8,743 posts, read 3,919,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
I think you and I have discussed this before. Where I live, the way they act here, I do often completely ignore them. Certain unique circumstances I react differently. I gave one woman $20 recently, which is a really unusual amount for me. Usually no more than $5 with my income. But it was spontaneous. You know what she did next time she saw me? Gave me a dress. It's actually a nice dress. I guess it was too small for her.

See that is the type of person we want to help! Not because I needed the dress. It's the principle. She had something to give and didn't just want to be a taker.

I don't like to give to the homeless man who takes care of a cat except to buy cat food. He rubs me the wrong way. The way he asks is rude. But I caved one time when he needed $4 for a specific purpose and asked nicely. And he wanted a sandwich instead of beer like normal so I bought that.

I read in the paper he has an apartment now and I am glad for him. I wonder if he took the cat in - I won't get to see him anymore! He's my buddy. I ALWAYS help animals.
You had my respect when you stated people treat the homeless as 'sub-human'; then you follow it up with 'the way they act here, I do often ignore them'. The issue of homelessness needs our collective attention and empathy (and not just in SF).

Old 11-19-2019, 07:04 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,616,429 times
Quote:
You had my respect when you stated people treat the homeless as 'sub-human'; then you follow it up with 'the way they act here, I do often ignore them'. The issue of homelessness needs our collective attention and empathy (and not just in SF).
Sorry, but the ones who are high on meth and aggressive about demanding money, I have to just ignore them. I'm encountering these people at corner stores. For my safety, I've got to get in the store and get out. The exceptions being the ones that are not aggressive. I know their names. I chat with them. Sometimes I give something.

Old 11-19-2019, 07:10 PM

24,413 posts, read 27,056,059 times
All I can say is put your money where your mouth is (applies to all the self-proclaimed moral warriors). Ask yourselves... "how many times did I buy food, water, groceries for the homeless and how many hours have I spent volunteering at shelters, soup kitchens, etc" before you get on your moral high horse. I've probably done more to help the homeless than most of the bleeding hearts in this thread, maybe that's why I'm more jaded about the homeless in San Francisco. There is a culture/community among the homeless there that is different from the homeless in other parts of the country.

Old 11-19-2019, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
All I can say is put your money where your mouth is (applies to all the self-proclaimed moral warriors). Ask yourselves... "how many times did I buy food, water, groceries for the homeless and how many hours have I spent volunteering at shelters, soup kitchens, etc" before you get on your moral high horse. I've probably done more to help the homeless than most of the bleeding hearts in this thread, maybe that's why I'm more jaded about the homeless in San Francisco. There is a culture/community among the homeless there that is different from the homeless in other parts of the country.
The very fact you attempt to divide the homeless in re: SF vs. 'the rest of the country' speaks to your (politically-driven) anger and aggressively unempathetic attitude (which makes it obvious to anyone you aren't 'helping' - lol).

I have 'put my money where my mouth is' (as I'm certain others have as well); that said, we aren't 'self-proclaimed' moral warriors if you're the one giving us the title.

Old 11-19-2019, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Sorry, but the ones who are high on meth and aggressive about demanding money, I have to just ignore them. I'm encountering these people at corner stores. For my safety, I've got to get in the store and get out. The exceptions being the ones that are not aggressive. I know their names. I chat with them. Sometimes I give something.
I mentioned 'collective attention', not individually. Obviously, there is a personal risk involved re: the latter.

Old 11-19-2019, 08:36 PM

Quote:
The very fact you attempt to divide the homeless in re: SF vs. 'the rest of the country' speaks to your (politically-driven) anger and aggressively unempathetic attitude (which makes it obvious to anyone you aren't 'helping' - lol).

I have 'put my money where my mouth is' (as I'm certain others have as well); that said, we aren't 'self-proclaimed' moral warriors if you're the one giving us the title.
Where have you volunteered? How many times have you bought food? Water? Groceries?

Old 11-19-2019, 09:02 PM

21,777 posts, read 16,439,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Where have you volunteered? How many times have you bought food? Water? Groceries?
Why are you projecting that donating to / and hosting individual homeless constitutes the measure of service to the homeless? Homelessness is a socio-economic problem essentially, created by the nature of our culture. It’s neither caused nor cured by individual acts. Individuals do not bear responsibility for creating the problem. Individuals can, however, live lifestyles that do not burden society in ways that feed homelessness ... which lifestyles would serve the mission to eliminate homelessness proportionately.

So, you buy a wretch a plastic bottle of water and a toxic McDonald’s burger while you hustle off to your job: building or marketing crap we don’t need, leveraging investments, importing trinkets, mass producing processed foods, landlording properties, whatever ... all focused on consumerism growth economy models ... which strangle marginal populations who just aren’t equipped to compete at the levels you perpetuate.

What a joke.

Old 11-19-2019, 09:14 PM

How about you do something about it and help out. Oh right, that actually requires effort and time.

I guess its back to typing on an internet forum while I pat myself on the back. That will change the lives of homeless. Food... Water... homeless dont need that -signed tulemut

Old 11-19-2019, 09:39 PM

175 posts, read 184,030 times
The more you give to the homeless, the more of them appear.

Stop giving them things. JUST. STOP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland