Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 06:01 PM

30,358 posts, read 51,950,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkonesun View Post
I just don't understand it. No, what I think it is, is that you all are desensitized to it because you are Cali natives.
I'm not a Cali native either... born just outside of Washington D.C., where my mother worked in a mostly African-American public high school. We moved to California when I was 7, and since then I've also lived in Philadelphia, Oregon, and many other parts of California. So nope, that wouldn't explain it! I'm not trying to call you a liar, just saying that your experiences are not typical (from what others have told me, and from my own observations).

Old 11-04-2008, 12:44 AM

4,426 posts, read 5,155,830 times
I am very familiar with the Cuban racism in Miami. I lived there for 8 years (1989-1997). It is a little different there. Language (knowledge of Spanish) has a huge emphasis. If you are a black Cuban, you will be treated much differently than an African American or even Hatians(they eat cats). Even so, I didn't have one particular person or other seemingly vyying for my attention to witness their displeasure with my very existence. Portland, Or and Seattle, Wa are no where close to the racism in the Bay Area. The only other place where I got direct racism handed to me on a platter by complete strangers is Chicago while I was training at the Great Lakes Naval Training Center, but even those where somewhat isolated. The Bay Area, every damn day and I mean every damn day. I didn't receive alot of racism from black women, but I sure noticed their lack of support for black men when they are in any environment where whites/asians dominate. I worked at Highland Hospital (hell hole) and saw them despicably go after a black woman who didn't take ****, spoke up and seemed to be a prominent figure amongst the blacks working there. She trained me, so being close to her for about a month I witnessed this disgusting assault on her, eventually leading to her being dismissed. Why? because she lost her temper when a Filipino co-worker told her that her son was being mistreated in the military followed by "It's whites on top, then Asians, then Hispanics and those Blacks are on the bottom", then while the other people around snickered she told her "you will be in charge of the watermelon and fried chicken for the pot-luck". Being the outspoken person I am, I said that "everything you just said is inacurate". I thought my response was subtle enough, and I was wrong. WTF.. after that I was ignored and avoided until I left when I graduated college. Of course some of these people didn't go right out and say "I hate him because he is an uppity ******". They just acted like I was some sort of rabble rousing outcast freak and some didn't even know me in the sense that we never spoke one syllable to each other. Who the hell deserves that. The fact remains that people living there and don't really have to deal with this sort of thing find it out of sight and out of mind. It's to perfect and beautiful of a place to **** up their picture of paradise. Well maybe it is for some, but for dark skinned males, it really isn't and that's a shame. San Francisco, maybe is a place where people wear flowers in their hair, as long as that hair isn't curly, nappy, unrelaxed and on the head of a male. I really wouldn't have been surprised if the Navy had stationed me in some bumble **** place in Alabama and I experienced racism. But the Bay Area? That experience was perplexing and good riddance....

Old 11-08-2008, 07:04 PM

358 posts, read 1,037,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I'm not a Cali native either... born just outside of Washington D.C., where my mother worked in a mostly African-American public high school. We moved to California when I was 7, and since then I've also lived in Philadelphia, Oregon, and many other parts of California. So nope, that wouldn't explain it! I'm not trying to call you a liar, just saying that your experiences are not typical (from what others have told me, and from my own observations).
Where did you grow up? I moved out here from the DC area (PG County).

I think each person's experience with racism will be different in each place they visit. There are so many variables in how someone approaches you and how they treat you on a particular encounter. I'm not justifying their actions, I'm just saying that there is no "single" experience that can be attributed to all people of any race or sex. Maybe someone who moved here as an adult does have a different perspective. But that doesn't mean racism out here is any worse than someplace else just because someone not from the area doesn't detect it as being so overt.

Old 11-08-2008, 08:29 PM

1,434 posts, read 3,968,352 times
San Francisco is like the most politically correct city in America and goes to extremes to bend over backwards to accommodate the needs of racial minorities. So I have a hard time believing some of the negative experiences that some of the blacks on this forum supposedly had in San Francisco. That city even had a black mayor (Willie Brown) before Gavin Newsom even though only 7% of the population in San Francisco is black. I have been to some cities/towns in the South that has a much higher percentage of blacks than San Francisco that either have never elected a black mayor or if they did, it was a long time ago like back in the 1980s or the 1970s. And ofcourse we all know San Francisco voted overwhelmingly for Obama. I would be very shocked if John McCain got any more than 10% of the votes in that city.

Old 11-10-2008, 12:36 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,155,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Jarrett View Post
San Francisco is like the most politically correct city in America and goes to extremes to bend over backwards to accommodate the needs of racial minorities. So I have a hard time believing some of the negative experiences that some of the blacks on this forum supposedly had in San Francisco. That city even had a black mayor (Willie Brown) before Gavin Newsom even though only 7% of the population in San Francisco is black. I have been to some cities/towns in the South that has a much higher percentage of blacks than San Francisco that either have never elected a black mayor or if they did, it was a long time ago like back in the 1980s or the 1970s. And ofcourse we all know San Francisco voted overwhelmingly for Obama. I would be very shocked if John McCain got any more than 10% of the votes in that city.
Man is this post amusing. Ever heard of the term "limousine liberal". Some of us are just pointing out that this city is "liberal" for most minority groups, just not male blacks in particular. If you don't want to believe it than bask in your bubble. I have lived in multiple cities all around the country as an adult and can distinctly notice the differences between them related to racial climate. This region is not hospitable for black males and it is not only whites, it is all other groups as well. I would guess that the ignorance to this fact is why this alleged "liberal bastion" has not made much strides in addressing this sad reality.

Old 11-10-2008, 05:33 PM

30,358 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeixeGato View Post
Where did you grow up? I moved out here from the DC area (PG County).
I mostly grew up here in the Bay Area (San Mateo), but was born in Silver Spring, MD - and then lived in Rockville until moving here when I was 7. I still go back often to visit relatives, and it's a nice place... but I'm glad I grew up here instead.

Quote:
I think each person's experience with racism will be different in each place they visit. There are so many variables in how someone approaches you and how they treat you on a particular encounter. I'm not justifying their actions, I'm just saying that there is no "single" experience that can be attributed to all people of any race or sex. Maybe someone who moved here as an adult does have a different perspective. But that doesn't mean racism out here is any worse than someplace else just because someone not from the area doesn't detect it as being so overt.
I think you're absolutely right... while everyone has a valid opinion and experience, no SINGLE person can make a definitive statement here. Even the Black/minority people will undoubtedly have different views, and will disagree on these issues. I can only speak from my own experiences, and having lived & traveled all over the world, I think the Bay Area is pretty cool about race relations. Are we perfect? Hardly. But compared to other places I've been to, we are definitely better than most. Don't know if that counts for anything, but I think the majority of people - Black, White, Asian, gay, straight, etc. - have a fairly peaceful existence here. As a Jewish woman, I can say that we are definitely nicer to religious minorities! You wouldn't believe some of the ignorance I've encountered elsewhere...

Old 11-12-2008, 12:29 PM

398 posts, read 1,331,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bama! View Post
We live in brooklyn. we wanna move to SF because of the weather, the beautiful nature of Northern California. I also feel that the city is more progressive than New York. The social programs seem to be far more efficient and College is way more affordable.
I'd like to persue my career in social work in Oakland or SF. My friend has a job for me at an after school program and I'll probably work at a gourmet food store part time since I have like 7 years of experience in that line of work. I'd also like to complete my Masters' degree in SF because of its affordability and quality.
I've been looking at apartments in the Merit Lake area of Oakland and in the Sunset District of SF. Both areas seem to be affordable but the money seems to go alot further in Oakland.
I'm tired of NY, its becoming DisneyLand and if I'm gonna live in DisneyLand I want nice weather .
I need to leave NY, maybe not for good, but I need to experience a different place in my life time and SF is the place I'd like to do that in.

I want to wish you the Best of luck in SF(The Bay Area). I just got back from NY(Brooklyn), And I cant wait to move back to the East Coast. I'm half Puertorican/and Spanish and Im lovin it out there.I can deal with the weather,since their is so much to do in the East. The Bay just seems to be not for me anymore, I find myself bored out of my mind here. I would say try it out in the Bay, and see what you discover. Being a single male also addiquates to why I'm going back to NYC area. The ratio and quality of ladies out there is incredible! Real talk.

Old 11-12-2008, 02:55 PM

64 posts, read 314,670 times
If you have moved to the Bay Area, and find that it
isn't working, then just leave. It is so very simple.
All of the complaining about this group or that
group is a waste of time. Most of the Black men
that I know are doing just fine, enjoying life here.
Some were born and raised here, and others
moved here from other places. The men that
I know are all clean cut, educated, professional
men. They all are dating or married to Black
women.

Old 11-12-2008, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Jarrett View Post
Yeah, by the way there's alot of yuppies in the Bay Area who claim their liberal and open minded. But its that mentality of.."I dont mind Black and Latino people at all, as long as their not hanging in my social circle". I cant stand those hypocrites. Real Talk. And I've seen that first hand all over the Bay.

Old 11-12-2008, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody74 View Post
If you have moved to the Bay Area, and find that it
isn't working, then just leave. It is so very simple.
All of the complaining about this group or that
group is a waste of time. Most of the Black men
that I know are doing just fine, enjoying life here.
Some were born and raised here, and others
moved here from other places. The men that
I know are all clean cut, educated, professional
men. They all are dating or married to Black
women.
Yeah but for those people that are new to the Bay and just moving here..The Bay can be very "clickish" and difficult for a new person to break ground and bond with people. I have friends from New York,New Jersey,Miami,Seattle, Puerto Rico who all said the same thing. Plus the music scene is so WACK out here.LOL!!! For real.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland