Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 07:49 PM

13 posts, read 87,088 times

Advertisements

This may be a way off-the-wall question, but I'll put it out there anyway. I'm currently researching various cities in which to live and SFO is on my list. I LOVE the city, it's vibe, the weather, the culture and the food (yum!)

Upon visiting San Fran several times in years past (about 7 ago was the last time), and as a professional African American guy, I didn't notice many others while there. The few that I did see were seemingly homeless, which is very unfortunate.

I love diversity and the benefits that diversity brings to my life. I definitely don't have to have a bunch of AA's surrounding me, but I wonder if I would stick out like a sore thumb or have a hard time making friends (of any race). Or would I be rejected and casted out as simply a minority that's trying to survive in the City.

What are your thoughts?

Old 10-13-2008, 09:47 PM

2,039 posts, read 3,279,007 times
While I would venture a guess that you will find racism everywhere you go, San Francisco is extremely diverse and generally accepting of everyone. My experience in the area has shown that personality is what makes you or breaks you around here. I work at a school, so it might not relate, but there is absolutely no "old boys network" or anything like that, folks are judged on merit.

Generally, I have found that while "seeing" San Francisco, you are mostly seeing tourists and urchins, not necessarily the general San Franciscan.

Good luck wherever you decide to go!!

Old 10-13-2008, 10:22 PM

186 posts, read 475,068 times
I don't live in San Francisco, but I am an African American female and I like going to SF. I'm sure it would be a fun place for you to live as well.

Old 10-13-2008, 11:57 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,344,980 times
I don't recommend living in an airport.

Old 10-14-2008, 09:46 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,147,120 times
You won't be alone. The proximity of neighborhoods of well-off blacks, particularly in the Oakland hills, means you won't be the only black dot in a sea of white, and almost everyone will be accepting.

Old 10-15-2008, 01:11 PM

4,417 posts, read 5,148,127 times
While money does seem to matter a bit more than average in San Francisco, it isn't the whole picure. There is not a large number of AA in the city whom are middle to upper middle class. Therefore, the other races in the city (whites and asians) who are in those classes don't have much experience with African Americans and therefore can seem distant. It is a tolerant city, but, when there just aren't many people of any particular group (especially if they don't have much political or social clout) they can be marginalized quite easily and perhaps innocently.

Old 10-15-2008, 01:22 PM

821 posts, read 1,039,241 times
On my recent visit with my AA girl friend, she did feel a little under represented in the city of SF. Although when we visited a friend in Oakland, me and her both felt more at home, especially coming from Brooklyn.
Over all, The city does seem very tolerant and accepting of all peoples. I wasn't concerned at all about being an inter racial couple in SF.
We are actually planning on moving there ourselves.

Old 10-15-2008, 03:37 PM

1,554 posts, read 5,289,344 times
There are no issues in SF with being black. I lived there for a long time. I was born there. Yes it used to have a nice black population when my father was living there. It was something like 20-25% in the 70's. Because the Bay area is composed of 8 million people we go into the city to have fun etc. Blacks from all over the Bay go into SF. It is not isolated and you'll see us dating all different types. Even my wife is Asian.

Old 10-15-2008, 10:42 PM

13 posts, read 87,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bama! View Post
On my recent visit with my AA girl friend, she did feel a little under represented in the city of SF. Although when we visited a friend in Oakland, me and her both felt more at home, especially coming from Brooklyn.
Over all, The city does seem very tolerant and accepting of all peoples. I wasn't concerned at all about being an inter racial couple in SF.
We are actually planning on moving there ourselves.
Thanks for all of your great and honest responses. I think I'm definitely due another visit or two before I actually buckle down and make that final decision to move. JoeBama, you and your GF are from the NYC area? I currently live in NY as well. I'm actually wondering how your planning to relocate to the SF area is going (job, apt. search). Also what is prompting your move there?

Old 10-16-2008, 03:46 AM

30,311 posts, read 51,921,120 times
As the others said, I don't think it will be much of an issue. We don't have a huge AA population in the city, as our ethnic breakdown is more heavily Asian, Caucasian & Hispanic - with the exception of a few small neighborhoods, like Bayview (where I live) & Western Addition. But that doesn't mean anyone will care, since we are fairly harmonious people... for the most part we don't dwell on people's race, gender identity, orientation, social status, etc. I have friends of all types here, and nobody feels particularly discriminated against or outcast. Why do you think we've become a refuge for the "weirdos" of the world? It's probably what I love most about living here, FYI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland