Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 06:54 PM

59 posts, read 382,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Boy View Post
This sounds like some right wing Nazi propaganda. Yeah it's really all illegals driving in CA, the state full of welfare recipients. Get real. Please leave the state and go back to your happy midwestern or southern wonderful utopia you came from. The less of you the better off we will be out here.
While I agree with you, I still have a problem with your post because it's sounds a little intolerant to other viewpoints. In any case, it's not a good idea to export such ideas (blaming poor immigrants for the country's problems) to any part of the US, or any part of the world for that matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2007, 12:18 PM

2,106 posts, read 5,789,715 times
Being a close-minded Liberal fool does not equal open minded imo. I decide issue by issue. And I don't find snobs pleasant, sorry. I don't like jerk hicks either. People who absolutely think they are positively right are fools. But all being equal, I'd rather be around liberal fools.

I couldn't agree more with that statement more. Indeed- I'm from the South- the one part of the country that uber-liberals tend to write off as uneducated, uncultured, and otherwise not at the same level of competency as people in cities like SF, NYC, and so forth.

I've experienced both kinds of people- very conservative and very liberally minded individuals. I find them both obnoxious. In fact, I think uber-liberals and super-conservatives have more in common than they realize: They're both equally ignorant.

What you'll find no matter where you go are extremes of any mindset. The vast majority of people are basically trying to live their lives and are unconcerned about making your life miserable.

I for one am glad I grew up in the South and have lived on both the East Coast and West Coast. I know better than to judge a region using blunt terminology.

Perhaps it is a good thing that so many people in "liberal" areas are scared to death of where I'm from. It keeps the prices nice and affordable for the rest of us who know better.

Old 07-24-2007, 01:32 PM

1,554 posts, read 5,291,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by readuntil View Post
While I agree with you, I still have a problem with your post because it's sounds a little intolerant to other viewpoints. In any case, it's not a good idea to export such ideas (blaming poor immigrants for the country's problems) to any part of the US, or any part of the world for that matter.
I'm intolerant of racism and lies. You can have a viewpoint but when you do not know what you're talking about and throw in non-proven facts and lies into your racist rant then you need to be called out. How does that person know that most CA drivers etc etc etc are illegals?

Old 08-04-2007, 05:39 PM

8 posts, read 32,774 times
Hi hello13685 et. al.

I think after you experience the SF Bay Area the BAR is very high. I am not trying to be a snot, but there is much of everything here in terms of diversity, open mindedness, and beauty.

I agree with your analysis that A) you live in the SF Bay but live in a shack but at least get to enjoy the beauty around it and/or B) you move somewhere so you can enjoy your house and not necessarily it's surroundings. I am not sure what is more appealing, but with kids the later is definitely more appealing.

In terms of the academic saying you can go anywhere when you are star, the issue STILL here in the SF Bay area is that teachers and professors still can't buy a home or live half way decent. It's a tough economy and educators are the peasants.

Old 08-07-2007, 03:36 PM

277 posts, read 884,144 times
Unhappy Kids benefit from the diversity here and open-minded neighbors here

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2007 View Post
but with kids the later is definitely more appealing.
Some of my friends left SF because they wanted a future for their kids. But their kids accepted the views of the southern city and are now closed minded, and homophobic. And out of 3 friends 2 of them are having trouble convincing their kids that careers are as important as marriage. So some of them are skipping out on college to take it easy.

I wonder if the two families could have prevented this with vacations around the world, to explain people from different countries aren't bad! It's o.k. if they speak Spanish in Walmart. English isn't the U.S. language. And different types of food are fun to try....

Old 08-07-2007, 06:49 PM

358 posts, read 1,916,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7035683216 View Post
And out of 3 friends 2 of them are having trouble convincing their kids that careers are as important as marriage. So some of them are skipping out on college to take it easy.
They think love and leisure is more important than money? That's heartbreaking.

Old 08-07-2007, 10:11 PM

300 posts, read 1,849,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2007 View Post
Hi hello13685 et. al.

In terms of the academic saying you can go anywhere when you are star, the issue STILL here in the SF Bay area is that teachers and professors still can't buy a home or live half way decent. It's a tough economy and educators are the peasants.

I'm the academic who wrote that you can go anywhere when you are a star. Although I would like to leave the SF Bay area it is not because I can't afford to live here. And even though I agree that professors are not paid as they should be, as a professor whose spouse teaches at a community college, I was able to purchase a house and live a half way decent life. I think it all depends on what people consider to be a half way decent life. Although I live in the East Bay, I don't live in one of those communities people consider middle class, but in a working class community. Since my spouse and I are not into automobiles, we keep our cars for a long time (both of us drive 1988 vehicles we purchased new and paid cash for) and except for our mortgage and regular bills, we have no consumer or other debt. We manage quite well, but that is largely because we're frugal. We're happy with our lifestyle, but I am aware that many people would feel deprived living the way we have chosen to live.

Old 08-11-2007, 07:08 PM

331 posts, read 1,311,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pucca View Post
due to its rising cost in housing? I find it ridiculously expensive to buy a house for over half a million. We are thinking of moving because we simply can't afford buying a home. And rent is also far from being affordable. Does anyone want to move out as well or is it just me?
I have lived in the East Bay Area all of my life. I am 45 years old with 2 teenagers and I have finally had enough. I will sell my townhouse for around $500,000, move back to North Carolina and buy a house with a backyard and enjoy my life with some peace of mind. The cost of everything here is outragous and I am just tired of paying the high cost to live in the Bay Area. Yes, it is beautiful here in California but we have 49 other states and they all have some beauty to offer. I am on my way out and I will not look back.

Old 12-05-2007, 08:13 AM

99 posts, read 171,143 times
Default studio for 1k

Quote:
Originally Posted by readuntil View Post
You can get a studio in SF for about 1K a month, utilities included.
Is this true? and where are they located? Is it a good neigbourhood?

Old 12-05-2007, 09:53 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,161,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOEL123 View Post
Is this true? and where are they located? Is it a good neigbourhood?
Just checked Craigslist.. I see studios at or below $1000 in the downtown, Marina, Sunset, Ingleside, Nob Hill, Mission, Excelsior, and Lower Pacific Heights. There's something in that list for everyone, both quiet and lively neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland