Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 12:18 AM

11 posts, read 29,015 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the kind words. FWIW, other parts of the country are looking good. I like Fredericksburg/Kerrville TX, Eau Claire/Mondovi, WI, International Falls, MN but if any other place(s) come up on my radar before I make the dash, I'll consider those, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2007, 12:02 PM

36,660 posts, read 67,557,504 times
I dont really want to move cause I love it here but I am moving out of the country on business next year.

But as in the past, my moves always wind up bringing me back here. LOL

Old 01-11-2008, 05:24 PM

3 posts, read 6,834 times
HI,
I was wondering if you can tell me a little about NC? My family of four is considering relocation to the Triangle area of NC. How do they relate, if at all?

Old 01-11-2008, 05:53 PM

1,554 posts, read 5,291,338 times
As I've said before. Everybody I know who has moved from CA is dying to get back here. There is a reason why the cost of living is so high as ridiculous as it may be.

Old 01-11-2008, 10:54 PM

Default North Carolina...

Does anyone have experience living in North Carolina? I've lived in Sonoma County all my life but am starting to feel crowded here. I've heard nice things about NC and would appreciate some input from someone who knows what it's like to live in both places.

Old 01-11-2008, 11:34 PM

15,641 posts, read 26,270,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by na72 View Post
Does anyone have experience living in North Carolina? I've lived in Sonoma County all my life but am starting to feel crowded here. I've heard nice things about NC and would appreciate some input from someone who knows what it's like to live in both places.
You would probably have better luck getting answers on the North Carolina board.

I would love to help, but you're not asking about Pennsylvania. I could talk your ear off about there!

Old 01-12-2008, 01:38 AM

300 posts, read 1,849,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by na72 View Post

I lived in Chapel Hill, North Carolina for 2 years and I've lived in the SF Bay Area since 1991. If you send me a personal message with the questions you have, I'll gladly answer the
m.

Old 01-12-2008, 06:06 PM

140 posts, read 606,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sliverbox View Post
I am starting to believe that myself. You could go to these places AND get a big house and be with people who are 30 years behind in their ways and their thinking. There is so much more to life than a big house...at least for me. I want some culture and I want people who are progressive in thought. All due respect...great house in Atlanta, lots of yard....but jeez the backward ass thinking people! LAWD!

let me tell you something. I'm a native Southerner with family roots dating back 200+ years in the area. Guess what? 2 of my family members are gay, and we're FINE with it. We have friends from all over the world. My dad's best friend is Greek. My parents both travel all over the country and world for that matter. One of the best Vietnamese restaurants I've ever eaten at is 10 minutes down the road from them. Art classes are offered at the university for FREE. The area actually has a regional musical type. I can't say the same for SF... can you? The national parks are often free and seldom crowded with people. Unlike Yosemite, you can drive to and from the Appalachians in a day, take a 15 mile hike, stop at a local BBQ joint, eat a picnic lunch, and go home in the same day. No reservations or $20 entrance fees. lastly- people are genuinely NICE to one another, and when they say " have a nice day", the MEAN it.

Yes- there is MORE to life than a big house and a yard. But if that's seriously all you found there, then perhaps the problem isn't with the area, but maybe your attitude towards it. Yes. SF welcomes you back with open arms.

You people who spew all the 'progressive' bull crap yet don't follow your own medicine are a piece of work.

You should not have to defend yourself. People who say nasty things are usually unhappy with themselves. And the beautiful "South" speaks for itself...does it not? I love CA and I love the South. What that person said makes absolutely no sense.

Old 01-13-2008, 01:30 PM

14 posts, read 182,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
Just checked Craigslist.. I see studios at or below $1000 in the downtown, Marina, Sunset, Ingleside, Nob Hill, Mission, Excelsior, and Lower Pacific Heights. There's something in that list for everyone, both quiet and lively neighborhoods.
This is simply not true. Check craigslist indeed. The only studio under $1000 I saw was in the tenderloin, one of the worst areas of the city, and did not have it's own bathroom and had a kitchenette. In other words, a run-down dirty hotel room with no toilet or shower.

You're looking at a minimum of $1500 a month for a studio in a half-decent hood in SF. $2000 might get a fairly ugly 1 bedroom.

Old 01-13-2008, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
You would probably have better luck getting answers on the North Carolina board.

I would love to help, but you're not asking about Pennsylvania. I could talk your ear off about there!
Thank You Tallysmom. I'll check out the North Carolina board more. I bet Pennsylvania is beautiful!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland