Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 04:21 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,692,777 times

Advertisements

Just because a project is in-fill and designated city-residential... doesn't mean the project will ever get approval...

Oakland has had several of these projects proposed and none have been able to move forward... even with some utilities on site...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2010, 09:45 PM

306 posts, read 759,130 times
Want to move out of the Bay Area? Hell no. HAD to move out due to the fact that there was NO PLACE to stay. I did get on with the San Francisco Unified School District as a substitute teacher but it takes so long for them to start calling you on a regular basis that I ran out of money entirely and had to leave and go stay with family 400 miles away. Now, this is family that has been abusive my entire life. And still is. Because now where I am there are NO JOBS. Nothing else a substitute teacher can do. Not even McDonalds, Burger King, Taco Bell, Starbucks, nothing is hiring now. But I couldn't very well substitute teach from living on a bench at SFO airport, now could I? I couldn't even find any place on couchsurfing.com. And right now it feels like THAT was the only teaching job I will EVER have in the foreseeable future, as teaching in the Bronx is quickly following suit.

I find there's no place I could teach science where a Native American woman would be accepted in the job, let alone GET the job; where there's enough public transportation for me to get around without a car, since I haven't had a car since 2003 when my last one got reposessed. That need for public transportation pretty much leaves me with choices of only the big cities of the country with all the problems. Everywhere else I've been except San Francisco and parts of New York City I've been treated like I'm the wrong color to be a math or science teacher. There's nothing else I can do except try to go back for my Master's in Biotechnology and hope that the Biotech industry isn't that racist yet, that maybe it's too "new." That, again, though, is mostly in the Bay Area.

So, no, I didn't WANT to leave. I HAD NO CHOICE.

And I'm always kicking myself for ever coming back to the West Coast in the first place.

Old 03-17-2010, 11:58 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,613,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Merle Haggard. and his many imitators. Sadly, probably only a single digit percentage of present day "Californians" (most of them in reality either carpetbagger transplants, immigrants or members of former splinter groups now writ large) would appreciate that type of music!
You'd be surprised.

Merle's on the jukebox in some bars in the Haight, Mission, and even at least one bar in the Castro!

Old 03-25-2010, 02:19 PM

455 posts, read 633,369 times
I moved to Lake Havasu city,Az 12 yrs ago from L.I.,N.Y. Worst move I ever made.The cost of living is quite low but their is no culture or anything to do outside of boating.Recently visited San Fran and would really like to move to the east bay, it's about Quality of Life people!!

People who insist you need $500,000 for a house haven't looked at the listings lately, I see plenty of 1800-2500 sq ft places for around $300,000.........Whats the problem??....Let them leave!!

Old 03-26-2010, 05:05 AM

24 posts, read 70,736 times
Sexuality is a huge part of the SF scene, always has and will be. It's a very obnoxious city right now, as it was in the 80's, but that's likely to change. The city changes every five years. Prices are high, no jobs, very bad time to move here. Also, depending on what job you want to get, there is discrimination in hiring against straight people. If you are gay, you have a chance here though, whereas you might not elsewhere. If you are bi or gay, it's a magical place I'm sure, just not the greatest time to move here unless, like the previous poster said, you have some cash and are able to land a good job. Then you can get in on the real estate "deals" that are happening. But then again, I agree with the previous poster in that if you identify your life's needs as revolving around urban culture, moving to the boonies will not make you happy. Unless you have a high tolerance for slumming or obnoxious gay men, do not move here if you have no cash. The rundown, bed bug areas are going for top rental dollar. The gay dudes here are not like the ones in NY or LA or elsewhere, very obnoxious. The city used to be about freedom, but now that freedom is mandatory and lorded over you. Especially since the gay marriage.

Old 03-26-2010, 11:22 AM

75 posts, read 204,603 times
I am considering moving. I have been in SF for a decade and have sadly seen change in the wrong directions. Rent and housing prices keep escalating, all while entertainment keeps waning and shutting down earlier - r.e. the "war on fun" here. San Francisco is resembling a ghost town to me lately on weekend nights, rather sleepy.

After awhile, you wonder why you're paying out of the nose for so little. The only constant which is hard to give up here is the nature and beautiful weather.

The one thing that keeps me put is a job. I realize my ability to obtain another job in this economic climate is going to be severely impaired anywhere else. However, if the economy continues to tank, as it appears to be for all but the banking industry, the job may dissipate in a year...and that is probably when I will leave.

Old 03-26-2010, 03:40 PM

8 posts, read 16,752 times
Default Going back East

I come from the DC area and love the fact that the top classical entertainers also frequently visit the Bay Area - especially the Cal Performances in Berkeley and the San Francisco Opera recitals. I'm always impressed by the roster of stars who perform here. I will be going back to the DC area, though (my job's there, have other family there, miss the seasons and trees, etc.) I am sure I will miss much about the Bay Area, though (weather, culture, family), although I won't miss its cost of living (not that DC area is much better in that regard).

Old 03-26-2010, 03:47 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,492,286 times
Default Does anyone want to move out of the Bay Area

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pucca View Post
due to its rising cost in housing? I find it ridiculously expensive to buy a house for over half a million. We are thinking of moving because we simply can't afford buying a home. And rent is also far from being affordable. Does anyone want to move out as well or is it just me?
Probably anyone with any sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland