Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2014, 07:14 PM

21,736 posts, read 16,350,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
You two are saying the exact same things. The difference is, your perspective is not an NYC one. His is an SF one. He's even granting you that NYC is the bigger city. Everyone knows that. His point is about variety and lifestyle.

The Bay Are is lacking in big city amenities? Are you serious? You just just placed it at #3 overall in the country (and you are quite biased against it, judging from your post history). How can this be?

The Bay Area has restaurants that set the tone for the country, world-renowned art collections and museums, well-attended sports teams with ardent fans, world-class shopping, world-class universities, signature architecture and monuments known worldwide, is a technological, transportation, and travel destination leader of the Pacific Rim, is a world-class economic and cultural center, etc.

How is this lacking in urban amenities?

Add to that weather that is pleasant year-round, encouraging explorarion of its incredible vistas, an active, outdoor lifestyle, exploration of small nearby towns, and a growing season that bolsters a farming culture that is the envy of the world right at its borders. That last bit has given rise to one of the world's leading wine regions, which itself has spawned a culture in culinary ingenuity that sets trends in cities across the globe.

Does that make SF "better"? For me, yes. For you? Perhaps not. I live here and love it. I can drive 20 minutes from my apartment and be in absolute untouched wilderness, or walk 5 minutes and be in the center point of a bustling, vibrant urban metropolis of over 8,000,000 people. That is a choice not afforded to residents of most places in the world that I know of.

It occurs to me that the people most vocal in this debate of proving which city is "better" are chiming in from other cities, while those who actually live in the cities in question (and by that virtue have a much more valid take to me) are simply saying the two are different and it's a matter of preference.
Well, somebody noticed what I said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2014, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
You are like that annoying little kid in 3rd grade who would **** off the class and then cry to teacher the second someone slapped you upside the head.
Well that's a very curious response. Pray tell how so? Hadn't notice I ticked off anybody but you and maybe one other. And certainly hadn't noticed anyone slapping me upside the head. You figger you're the one for that?

I get that apparently I annoy you. Do you get that I find you a bit silly?

Old 12-31-2014, 07:32 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,340,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Well, somebody noticed what I said.
We noticed what you wrote, but just disagree.

Again, for the outdoors, yeah, no question, Bay Area is great. For big city lovers, no. America generally sucks for big city lovers outside of NYC and maybe LA. If you are in the Bay Area, there are no world class art institutions, there is no truly world class urban neighborhood, there aren't the same degree of urban amenities. There isn't even a real subway. Most people don't care, but some do, and for them, they won't be totally satisfied with SF.

Visit a big city outside the U.S. Go to Barcelona, or Buenos Aires, or even a smaller city, like Vienna. I think when you return to SF you will understand.

Old 12-31-2014, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Because there are things available in NYC that aren't available in SF, that's all.

If you want a functional, world-class transit system, then SF will fall short. If you want to live in a truly urban neighborhood, where normal families live in apartments, and most people don't own cars, then SF will fall short. If you want to have an environment of 24-hour stimulation, then SF will fall short. If you want miles and miles of urbanity, then SF will fall short. If you want a million cultural options every night, and every type of cuisine, then SF will fall short. If you want distinct ethnic enclaves, and rooted urban neighborhoods of every type, then SF will fall short.

I can go on, but obviously if you want to live in a really big city, SF will feel kind of sleepy and lacking. It isn't really a Type A, overstimulated-type place. It's a fantastic city, pound-for-pound, but just not big enough for big city types. But it has other advantages, which makes it a very desirable place nonetheless.
NOLA, carefully read what I wrote. Because none of what you are responding with addresses it. I addressed the issue of quantity. The post I originally commented on stated that the poster preferred NYC because it had "so much more to do" than SF. He didn't specify any particular quality or interest. Just "more". I find it amusing that anyone simply needs "more" activities, quantitatively, than can be found in the Bay Area.

But, now that you mention restaurants as an example, I'm chuckling even more. How much can you eat in a lifetime?

Old 12-31-2014, 07:35 PM

13,742 posts, read 7,999,139 times
Quote:
Well that's a very curious response. Pray tell how so? Hadn't notice I ticked off anybody but you and maybe one other. And certainly hadn't noticed anyone slapping me upside the head. You figger you're the one for that?

I get that apparently I annoy you. Do you get that I find you a bit silly?

You see, I have what is considered intelligence. What does that mean? Well, in relation to this thread, it means that I don't write inane post humps and that my one -liners are at least somewhat humorous.

Old 12-31-2014, 07:38 PM

Quote:
NI addressed the issue of quantity.
But it isn't quantity, only. It's quantity and quality.

What is the world class museum in SF? Oh, yeah, there isn't one.

Where can I live where people don't own a car and it isn't a poverty stricken welfare dump? Oh yeah, there isn't such a neighborhood.

Where can I go and see innovative, underground visual and performing arts? No can do.

What if I want a real ethnic neighborhood that isn't tourist trap Chinatown? Nope.

What if I want to be around "regular people", not just granola-leftists, dot com frat boys, or rent controlled fossils? Tough luck.

Old 12-31-2014, 07:42 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
No one ever suggested there wasn't enough to do in the Bay Area and they "needed" more; wanting more or something different isn't really the same thing.

Old 12-31-2014, 07:57 PM

Quote:
We noticed what you wrote, but just disagree.

Again, for the outdoors, yeah, no question, Bay Area is great. For big city lovers, no. America generally sucks for big city lovers outside of NYC and maybe LA. If you are in the Bay Area, there are no world class art institutions, there is no truly world class urban neighborhood, there aren't the same degree of urban amenities. There isn't even a real subway. Most people don't care, but some do, and for them, they won't be totally satisfied with SF.

Visit a big city outside the U.S. Go to Barcelona, or Buenos Aires, or even a smaller city, like Vienna. I think when you return to SF you will understand.
Apparently you didn't notice what I wrote. Because here you are again going on about things I wasn't discussing.

No matter.

Now, you pretty sure I've never been outside the US and to "world class" cities? I just always been a hick from this lil' ole' backwater?

Old 12-31-2014, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Apparently you didn't notice what I wrote. Because here you are again going on about things I wasn't discussing.
The point is that certain people will not be attracted to the Bay Area, and that includes urban lovers. That's all. You claimed this was not true.

You claimed that the Bay Area offers the same as anywhere else, just less volume of stuff, which is obviously wrong. Someone wanting a big city environment will be happier somewhere else.

Old 12-31-2014, 08:06 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,136,325 times
Quote:
The point is that certain people will not be attracted to the Bay Area, and that includes urban lovers. That's all. You claimed this was not true.

You claimed that the Bay Area offers the same as anywhere else, just less volume of stuff, which is obviously wrong. Someone wanting a big city environment will be happier somewhere else.
I can't imagine an urban lover (whatever that means) not appreciating San Francisco. You are being consumed by your bias against it and your idyllic vision of another city in which you don't even live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland