Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 04:03 PM

282 posts, read 382,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
well the only thing I will add to this, with your basically very liberal leaning views on most things you are going to have even a harder time finding non smoking friends. people in your age group, especially living in Ca that are non pot users are probably much more conservative than you appear to be. I think you are going to have a tough time having it both ways. Maybe San Diego would be a little better for you.

Nita
Yeah because only "Libs" smoke weed and do drugs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2010, 04:29 PM

1,700 posts, read 5,933,942 times
I don't smoke or do drugs (I even hate taking Tylenol if I don't have to), but like rah and a few others have said, you only make it hard on yourself trying to avoid it completely in this city. Although I personally object to doing those things, if someone else wants to I don't have a problem with it. The only time I get discouraged or annoyed is if that person is irresponsible with it (ex. driving under the influence). Other than that, I kinda have a "do what makes you happy" mentality.

Old 05-25-2010, 04:58 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,394,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xGrendelx View Post
I don't smoke or do drugs (I even hate taking Tylenol if I don't have to), but like rah and a few others have said, you only make it hard on yourself trying to avoid it completely in this city. Although I personally object to doing those things, if someone else wants to I don't have a problem with it. The only time I get discouraged or annoyed is if that person is irresponsible with it (ex. driving under the influence). Other than that, I kinda have a "do what makes you happy" mentality.
A very rationale\ reasonable response. There are worst things than friends who smoke marijuana but the OP could very easily find friends who don't indulge anywhere in California, in my opinion. It's not like the whole state is on a "buzz" non-stop!

Old 05-25-2010, 06:16 PM

37,138 posts, read 42,234,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenny2010 View Post
Look I'm not trying to turn this into a is Marijuana good for you vs. bad for you debate. But I think it’s funny how several people on this board immediately jump to the conclusion that I must be some intolerant republican who hates pot smokers. Actually, I am very liberal with most things (I believe in man-made global warming, I’m against war, I don’t believe in off-shore oil drilling, I support renewable energy, I voted for Obama, etc). Why is it that if I don’t want drugs in my life that is a bad thing? I don’t really care if there are stoners out there, let them do their thing. I just want to find people who enjoy living clean sober lives as my friends. True, if people choose to smoke in the privacy of their home, so be it. But I don’t , for example, want to go to a dinner party with friends only to be subjected to a pot smoking fest. However, I’m starting to believe that finding non-using friends in the bay area is going to be hard. Would I have better luck in other parts of CA?
It's not a bad thing. I've been in the Bay Area my entire life, born here, socially liberal and fiscally conservative and voted for Obama too. I was in high school/college in the 70's and everyone I knew smoked pot. I never have. I've also never considered it that big a deal and wasn't totally bothered by it beause I had activities and interestes besides "hanging out and partying". I guess that's the key, actually have something to do. LOL. I never got upset when people smoked around me either, and it was usually a good conversation starter when it was offered to me and I declined. People always thought I was Mormon for some reason..

Old 05-25-2010, 06:17 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,613,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
You truly are behind the Orange curtain or haven't read beyond circa 1950's. Just accept that you are marginalized when posting such antiquated statements. Like arguing with a fundamentalist if the world is older than 6000 years.
People behind the Orange Curtain smoke weed just like their Bay Area counterparts, including a Congressman who is one of the most prominent Republicans in California and known as "the biggest stoner in the House". The surfer/hippie culture in the '60s existed in OC, too, and many of those ex-hippie types have continued to smoke weed even though they've moved to the right. Many of them just don't admit it but they do it.

Problems associated with weed would end or be drastically reduced with legalization. If you make anything illegal that is widely used there would be bad effects. Suppose that PETA somehow comes to power and bans eating meat. In that case there would be vast amounts of tainted meat making people sick and killing them, turf wars over distribution, involvement of criminal organizations and gangs, prisons being packed with those caught eating meat, etc. etc. etc. Marijuana itself is not an inherently bad substance like crack or meth, any bad effects come from its ILLEGALITY.

Old 05-25-2010, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
well the only thing I will add to this, with your basically very liberal leaning views on most things you are going to have even a harder time finding non smoking friends. people in your age group, especially living in Ca that are non pot users are probably much more conservative than you appear to be. I think you are going to have a tough time having it both ways. Maybe San Diego would be a little better for you.

Nita
Churches and AA meetings would be the best places to go, and the "New Age" element of AA make it liberal-friendly. Also some churches are more liberal than others.

Bet there aren't too many weed smokers at mosques! (though probably not too many social liberals)

Old 05-25-2010, 07:16 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,785,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakland Uptown View Post
Yeah because only "Libs" smoke weed and do drugs.
not necessarily, but the op wants a drug free group of friends but is very liberal, yes, conservatives do pot as well (not usually anything else, I say not usually) but most libs in Ca are pot smokers. My point, she would have trouble finding what she is looking for in the bay area, add to it her liberal views and it will be even harder. This is not saying only libs smoke pot..

Nita

Old 05-25-2010, 07:26 PM

6 posts, read 16,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Marijuana itself is not an inherently bad substance like crack or meth, any bad effects come from its ILLEGALITY.
That's bullsh*t. What comes up must come down. That's basic physics. And every drug has side effects. That's chemistry.

Old 05-25-2010, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenny2010 View Post
That's bullsh*t. What comes up must come down. That's basic physics. And every drug has side effects. That's chemistry.
No one's ever died from pot. OTOH, meth and crack have INHERENTLY bad effects like causing violence that go beyond their illegality.

Old 05-25-2010, 07:43 PM

146 posts, read 223,581 times
Jenny if you don't like people smoking pot around you don't hang out with them it really is that simple, they probably wouldn't think twice about you not being around to tell them how disgusting it is that they smoke something you don't. God knows we don't care at all or want to hear about your half baked bull**** pie theories on something you don't even do or want to associate with socially.

Here is a another solid suggestion, get off the computer and go out to actually try and find people who you click with instead of pouting in a forum online.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland