Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 10:11 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times

Advertisements

I was born and raised in the Bay Area and never smoked pot or any other drugs. I don't condemn those who do because its none of my business, but for me it was never something I ever had the desire to ever try.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2010, 10:43 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenny2010 View Post
I'm sure there are some people around here who don't use but almost everyone who I meet seems to smoke weed. It's really depressing. I am in my upper 20s am at the age (well past the age) where I don't want that in my life or to associate with individuals who do. I moved here a few months ago from the east coast and am having a hard time finding like minded individuals. Do they exist in SF? If so, where do non users hang out? Where can I meet them?

How many of you out there who live in the bay area don't smoke pot?
I would hope there are many, but being totally out of your age bracket I have no clue. I do know, my kids and grandkids did in their college years, haven't since. Even my granddaughters in their 20s have found the use of pot boring. Of course they don't live in San Francisco either.

Good luck and keep up your non drug attitude.

Nita

Old 05-25-2010, 10:44 AM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,238,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
I was born and raised in the Bay Area and never smoked pot or any other drugs. I don't condemn those who do because its none of my business, but for me it was never something I ever had the desire to ever try.

See, this is how people should view it, in my opinion. Weed smokers don't lament non-weed smokers, so i don't see why non-weed smokers should hate those who do smoke it. People will all do their own thing, and like clongirl said, there are weed smokers in all segments of society, literally. In general, there's not going to be any one place where all the weed smokers congregate (well except for weed clubs, and hippy hill ), and there's not going to be any one place where non-weed smokers congregate. Weed is proliferated and largely accepted in CA (it's CA's largest cash crop), and most people have a live and let live attitude about it, so coming off like an irrationally angry judgemental person in regards to weed smokers could end up hurting ones self more than they would expect, since so many people here do smoke it (even if only once or twice a month, or a few times a year), and there's no reason they would want to be around irrationally angry and judgemental people.

Old 05-25-2010, 10:50 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post

See, this is how people should view it, in my opinion. Weed smokers don't lament non-weed smokers, so i don't see why non-weed smokers should hate those who do smoke it. People will all do their own thing, and like clongirl said, there are weed smokers in all segments of society, literally. In general, there's not going to be any one place where all the weed smokers congregate (well except for weed clubs, and hippy hill ), and there's not going to be any one place where non-weed smokers congregate. Weed is proliferated and largely accepted in CA (it's CA's largest cash crop), and most people have a live and let live attitude about it, so coming off like an irrationally angry judgemental person in regards to weed smokers could end up hurting ones self more than they would expect, since so many people here do smoke it (even if only once or twice a month, or a few times a year), and there's no reason they would want to be around irrationally angry and judgemental people.
I too feel, if people want to smoke pot, so be it, even though I am not in favor of it. On the other hand I understand what Jenny2010 is saying, she prefers not to be around pot smokers or drug users. You think non smokers should leave smokers alone, I think smokers should understand not everyone wants to be around or associated with them. It goes both ways. I guess like cigarette smokers, most non smokers want those who do smoke to hide and smokers want to keep some rights.

Nita

Old 05-25-2010, 10:54 AM

282 posts, read 382,412 times
Just curious but if somebody smokes weed, how does that affect or bother you? It's not like cigarettes, where people smoke out in the open. Some do , but it's rare and it's still not to the point where you can do that and the police will still tell you to put it out. You can't smoke inside of any building unless your own home so again a non factor.

Old 05-25-2010, 11:04 AM

2,352 posts, read 5,253,449 times
People who purchase weed directly support a criminal market structure that has lead to mass killings, turf wars, and gang violence in most of America's cities.

If you smoke weed, you are DIRECTLY supporting these gangs who move this illegal substance plain and simple.

Weed smoking has never been proven by any NIH funded study to have positive health benefits. So the only reason people smoke it is to get high and blank out their reality. Sounds pretty dangerous to me. I would fully support making laws against weed stricter.

Old 05-25-2010, 12:05 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,389,847 times
Mr. Fantastic is in another state [of mind . Oh well, another Republican

The issue of public safety may be the poster's concern. It hasn't been proven but the huge metro line train wreak in the San Fernando valley a few years ago [where many people were killed] may have been due to the conductor smoking weed while tweeting at the same time! As a medicine like xanax, it shouldn't be used on the job [by transit drivers]. My parents\ siblings smoke marijuana and when relatives gather it is smoked out on the patio. I have several relatives who used marijuana during cancer treatments. The legitimacy of marijuana is a non-issue.

Old 05-25-2010, 12:09 PM

1,262 posts, read 1,301,695 times
Default What's so fantastic about your opinion

Look Mr Fantastic troll, do some unbiased research and then form an opinion. It isn't smokers that are causing the violence, it's prohibition. Think about that. Smokers also support the DEA, the private prisons, the mandated rehab centers, and your local, county, and state police. Without smokers the DEA would be much smaller, and your local police wouldn't have all those toys they terrorize the citizenry with. They also wouldn't be killing innocent people because of "informers" giving them the wrong address, and they wouldn't be confiscating all those homes, cars, and other property, leaving you to support the families that are left homeless and without funds. Without prohibition, any legal substance or activity is cheaper. We need regulation and taxation of these drugs just like we regulate and tax the currently legal ones. Then the violence over drugs will stop and the cartels, and the police, and DEA, will have to move on to something else, possibly honest employment.

Old 05-25-2010, 12:09 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fantastic View Post
People who purchase weed directly support a criminal market structure that has lead to mass killings, turf wars, and gang violence in most of America's cities.

If you smoke weed, you are DIRECTLY supporting these gangs who move this illegal substance plain and simple.

Weed smoking has never been proven by any NIH funded study to have positive health benefits. So the only reason people smoke it is to get high and blank out their reality. Sounds pretty dangerous to me. I would fully support making laws against weed stricter.
If we decriminalize it then a multitude of problems go away. You aren't thinking straight. If people smoke it to relax or get high....so what exactly?

Old 05-25-2010, 12:22 PM

2,352 posts, read 5,253,449 times
Opium has no laws governing its use in Afghanistan either, look how cool that has worked out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland