Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 07:02 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,928,205 times

Advertisements

Since my other thread keeps getting run off topic I thought I'd start a new thread where everyone can discuss concerns about moving to Florida.

Maybe we can add the 50% rule onto the list of things to worry about if you move to Florida. Here's my current list.

I have people say to me, "come on it can't all be good." Tell me something bad about Florida. So here goes, the negative side to living in Florida. Well, negative for some people.

Some people find it to hot for their liking, especially in the summer months June-August. It does get really hot here. I usually plan my day and if I'm gonna go for a jog it's probably not going to be at 12 noon, if you're gonna mow the lawn it's probably best to do it in the early morning or late afternoon. I suggest planning a trip here in the summer to make sure you are comfortable with the heat. You don't want to move here and then find out you're not all that fond of hot weather.

It's a sub-tropical climate and tropical climates bring bugs. You will find a myriad of different species of bugs in Florida. There are many natural remedies to getting rid of the pests as well as having your home sprayed for bugs on a quarterly basis.

Mosquitoes are one of the most talked about bugs in Florida. Mosquitoes are most prevalent in in the rainy season, June-August. They lay their eggs in standing water of ditches, buckets of water and stagnate water. This area has airplanes that fly over in mosquito season and they spray for them. To cut down on the mosquitoes around your home make sure you eliminate any standing water around your house. There are many sprays, candles and bug zappers you can use to get rid of the pesky bugs.

Snakes are an issue that I hear about regularly. There are 45 different types of snakes in Florida with only 6 being venomous. Most won’t bother you and just eat things like small rodents, rabbits, rats, mice, and other types of small animals. The majority of snakes are good to have around the yard and control any over abundant rodent populations.

Many of the venomous snakes like to live in wooded areas under rocks or around swampy, marshy areas. Generally, they don’t want to be bothered when encountered, so if you leave them alone usually they’ll run the other way. Often times when people get bitten is when they try to handle a snake, not realizing that the snake is poisonous. If you kill a snake the snakes reflexes are still “live” for a short period after you have killed it, so don’t immediately handle it or you might get bitten.

The six snakes that are venomous are The Southern Copperhead, which is only found in the panhandle area and not in SW Florida. The Cottonmouth, commonly called a water moccasin, which is primarily found around brackish water and marsh areas. The Eastern Diamond Back, they like palmetto thickets, under brush and Gopher Tortoise holes and are found throughout Florida. Next is the Timber Rattlesnake which is only found in 9 counties in Florida and SW Florida is not included in it's range. Moving on to the Dusky Pygmy Rattlesnake, which is found throughout Florida around ponds and in underbrush. And lastly we have the Eastern Coral Snake, which of my 37 years living here have never seen one. Supposedly they are found throughout Florida. If you absolutely hate snakes you could get this stuff called Snake-Away and I heard this keeps them away from your house or where ever you put it.

The latest news reports state that there is now an invasive species of Burmese Python known to inhabit the Everglades and they are large enough to eat goats. Although they are not poisonous they can be a danger to humans due to their large size. I have never seen this type of snake in SW FL.

Another animal that some people are concerned about is alligators. Alligators tend to stick to the rivers where the water is brackish (a mixture of salt and fresh waters) and they also like the golf course water traps.

Alligators seldom attack humans, and fatalities from such attacks are extremely rare. Alligators are naturally afraid of humans, but they lose that fear when people feed them. There has been several alligator attacks due to people feeding them.

The most likely time to see alligators is at dusk. Often during the day you can catch them sunning themselves on the shoreline. Once the sun goes down they become more active. I wouldn't recommend swimming in a place known to be inhabited by alligators. It's also wise to keep dogs and cats away from the shoreline of waters known to be inhabited by alligators. Most dogs and cats are about the size of the animals alligators prey on-raccoons, birds, fish, turtles, etc Stay away from any small alligators or nests because the female alligators can become extremely dangers when protecting their young. Also don't go trying to get a lost golf ball a golf course water trap. They love to hang out in places like that.

If you live on a freshwater or brackish water canal and have small children or pets I always recommend getting a fence as an extra precaution.

You can greatly reduce your chances of being attacked by an alligator by just using some common sense. Generally speaking, if you don't swim in the rivers or the water traps you should be pretty safe. If an alligator shows aggression toward human you can call Florida Fish & Game and they will remove it.

Then you have the Chinese Drywall. This certainly has been an issue. Most of the CDW was imported from Chine between 2001-2007. Hundreds of millions of sheets of Chinese drywall were imported from 2004 to 2006, but Chinese drywall has recently been found in homes built or remodeled as early as 2001. Chinese Drywall has been found in 30 states and the District of Columbia and is estimated to have been installed in over 100,000 homes in the United States. See Map. Unfortunately, this does not paint an accurate picture as most affected homes have a mixture of safe and tainted drywall.

The majority of Chinese drywall is 1/2", but not always. Here are some clues that the home has CDW. Does your home smell like rotten eggs or ammonia (sometimes a sweetish smell)? I've also been in homes where it smelled like raw sewage. Is it more noticeable when entering your home and then seems to dissipate? The level of odor varies greatly in each home as does each person’s ability to detect the odor. Of course, the strength of the odor also depends on how much drywall was used in the home. The home may not smell and still can be affected by CDW. In short, do not rely on your nose alone, particularly since many develop olfactory fatigue after being exposed to Chinese drywall.

Chinese drywall corrodes electrical wiring. Check the electrical receptacles in your walls to see if the wires are blackened. Pull off the electrical plate and look inside. Obviously, do not touch anything - you could get shocked. There should be a copper wire inside. The wires in this photo have been corroded from Chinese drywall. The breaker panel should also be checked. I've also seen plumbing fixtures that are pitted and if the A/C has been replaced and the home is relatively new-that's also a clue that the home may have Chinese Drywall. Some of the sheets of drywall are stamped Knauf or National Gypsum on the back.

Signs of an electrical problem include, a circuit breaker which frequently needs resetting without an apparent cause (particularly a GFCI or AFCI); lights that flicker without any apparent cause; bright flashes or sparks anywhere in your electrical system (this may indicate arcing conditions in the wiring); buzzing from electrical systems, switch plates, dimmers and outlet covers that are discolored from overheating; and a smell from overheating plastic. CDW was manufactured during the time that hurricane Charlie hit so even if your home is older it could be effected. I always recommend a home inspection

Moving on to the next concern I hear is hurricanes. Really a hurricane can hit anywhere in Florida. I think that the Miami and Key West have the highest possibility of a hurricane strike. You need to be prepared where ever you live. I am a native Floridian and have lived in or close by Sarasota county my whole life and have never evacuated, not to say that I wouldn't but I've never felt the need to.

Anywhere you live in the world you will be faced with some kind of natural disaster-tornadoes, typhoons, tidal waves, earthquakes, blizzards, etc. At least with hurricanes you will have advance notice before they hit. If you choose to leave you have the opportunity to do so. This is not the case with most other weather situations.

Since 1992 Hurricane Andrew, the Florida Building codes have been up graded in 1994, 1998, 2002, 2006 to deal with damage from wind. Even new manufactured homes are safer than site built homes pre-94 The newer the home since 94, the less insurance you will pay. Insurance for pre 94 homes is difficult to get/keep and you will pay a lot of money for coverage.

Some hurricanes are large and can cover the whole state, while some like 2004 Charley was an oversized tornado. Some years we have to watch for a dozen and other years only one or two. The hurricane season runs from June to November with the peak amount in September.

Here's a chart that shows the probability of a hurricane strike in each area:
Florida Hurricane Coastal Strike Probability

Hurricane strike probabilities are only statistical
estimates. Be prepared as storms approach.

This website is also pretty helpful-- Florida Hurricane Info

Another concern I hear is about sharks. I get asked quite a bit if I’ve ever seen a shark at the beach or if it’s dangerous to swim out at the beach. Fact is that since they have been keeping records on shark attacks there has never been a fatal shark attack from Bradenton to Naples. If you're talking shark attacks, the Atlantic side has far more attacks than the gulf side. One reason you get more attacks over there is the amount of surfers. Surfers mimic a wounded animal and in turn look like lunch to a hungry shark. Most of the sharks that are off the coast of New Smyrna are Tigers, Spinners, Bull, Reef and Blacktips. Ponce Inlet is specifically known to be pretty active with sharks. You really don't have that great surfing on the gulf side unless a storms brewing. The gulf side is also much warmer than the Atlantic side. http://www.underwatertimes.com/news....id=10863094725

New Smyrna Beach over in Volusia County on the Atlantic side is the "Shark Capital of the World" North America's top shark-attack beaches - USATODAY.com But you have more chance in winning the lottery than getting attacked by a shark. Map of Florida's Confirmed Unprovoked Shark Attacks

Next concern I hear is about the job market. Yeah it's pretty bad here. The unemployment rate is hovering somewhere around 12% right now. It's usually easier to find a job on the medical field then some other markets. The construction market is pretty tough right now. I would not suggest moving here without a job lined up.

There are some areas of town that are better than others which is pretty easy to figure out in the Sarasota area.

On the sex offender issue. I wouldn't say there are any more here than anywhere else. I just think we have a better system of keeping track of them. Which I think is a good thing. You can go here to check to see if any live in the neighborhood you are considering: http://offender.fdle.state.fl.us/off...yyt!-928531442

So, if you can live with the the bugs, the heat isn't an issue, aren't afraid of mosquitoes, snakes, sharks or gators, can prepare for hurricanes, have a stable job lined up, are willing to have your home inspected for CDW and can figure out where you want to live...you should be good to go

Old 11-19-2010, 08:14 PM

241 posts, read 480,215 times
Okay so you haven't scared me off! Summer can't be any worse there than outside Philadelphia where I live. Lets see, last summer about 55 plus days of 90 degree plus temps with 90% humidity.Just throw in the added extra benefit of those 105 degree days as icing on the cake! Oh and lets not forget the 78 inches of snow, most of it during 2 back to back storms in February.

Bugs well of course no one likes them. Mosquitos, I think they've been everywhere I've ever been, the others well you learn to deal, as with anything else that comes with the area you live in.
Alligators and snakes, well I will just head the other way, my momma didn't raise no fool!
Hurricanes, like you said, you get to prepare, and if you are smart you do what ya gotta do!

Now for the real scary stuff like CDW and unemployment...they are both a little more concerning. Now if I was buying a home in the NorthEast, I'd certainly have it inspected first so that should take care of that.
All that leaves is the jobfront...and the search goes on! Anyone have any connections in commercial printing??? Let me know!

More or less it comes down to getting info on the area, and then taking each issue and dealing with it. If you can't deal, then don't move there. Seems pretty simple to me! Besides I am in full speed ahead mode on getting my house ready to sell here, it will be going up around Superbowl time, so if anyone here doesn't like what Florida has to offer and prefers what Philadelphia has to offer, let me know on that too, have I got a deal for you!!!!

Old 11-19-2010, 08:32 PM

615 posts, read 1,676,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
Since my other thread keeps getting run off topic I thought I'd start a new thread where everyone can discuss concerns about moving to Florida.

Maybe we can add the 50% rule onto the list of things to worry about if you move to Florida. Here's my current list.

I have people say to me, "come on it can't all be good." Tell me something bad about Florida. So here goes, the negative side to living in Florida. Well, negative for some people.

Some people find it to hot for their liking, especially in the summer months June-August. It does get really hot here. I usually plan my day and if I'm gonna go for a jog it's probably not going to be at 12 noon, if you're gonna mow the lawn it's probably best to do it in the early morning or late afternoon. I suggest planning a trip here in the summer to make sure you are comfortable with the heat. You don't want to move here and then find out you're not all that fond of hot weather.

It's a sub-tropical climate and tropical climates bring bugs. You will find a myriad of different species of bugs in Florida. There are many natural remedies to getting rid of the pests as well as having your home sprayed for bugs on a quarterly basis.

Mosquitoes are one of the most talked about bugs in Florida. Mosquitoes are most prevalent in in the rainy season, June-August. They lay their eggs in standing water of ditches, buckets of water and stagnate water. This area has airplanes that fly over in mosquito season and they spray for them. To cut down on the mosquitoes around your home make sure you eliminate any standing water around your house. There are many sprays, candles and bug zappers you can use to get rid of the pesky bugs.

Snakes are an issue that I hear about regularly. There are 45 different types of snakes in Florida with only 6 being venomous. Most won’t bother you and just eat things like small rodents, rabbits, rats, mice, and other types of small animals. The majority of snakes are good to have around the yard and control any over abundant rodent populations.

Many of the venomous snakes like to live in wooded areas under rocks or around swampy, marshy areas. Generally, they don’t want to be bothered when encountered, so if you leave them alone usually they’ll run the other way. Often times when people get bitten is when they try to handle a snake, not realizing that the snake is poisonous. If you kill a snake the snakes reflexes are still “live” for a short period after you have killed it, so don’t immediately handle it or you might get bitten.

The six snakes that are venomous are The Southern Copperhead, which is only found in the panhandle area and not in SW Florida. The Cottonmouth, commonly called a water moccasin, which is primarily found around brackish water and marsh areas. The Eastern Diamond Back, they like palmetto thickets, under brush and Gopher Tortoise holes and are found throughout Florida. Next is the Timber Rattlesnake which is only found in 9 counties in Florida and SW Florida is not included in it's range. Moving on to the Dusky Pygmy Rattlesnake, which is found throughout Florida around ponds and in underbrush. And lastly we have the Eastern Coral Snake, which of my 37 years living here have never seen one. Supposedly they are found throughout Florida. If you absolutely hate snakes you could get this stuff called Snake-Away and I heard this keeps them away from your house or where ever you put it.

The latest news reports state that there is now an invasive species of Burmese Python known to inhabit the Everglades and they are large enough to eat goats. Although they are not poisonous they can be a danger to humans due to their large size. I have never seen this type of snake in SW FL.

Another animal that some people are concerned about is alligators. Alligators tend to stick to the rivers where the water is brackish (a mixture of salt and fresh waters) and they also like the golf course water traps.

Alligators seldom attack humans, and fatalities from such attacks are extremely rare. Alligators are naturally afraid of humans, but they lose that fear when people feed them. There has been several alligator attacks due to people feeding them.

The most likely time to see alligators is at dusk. Often during the day you can catch them sunning themselves on the shoreline. Once the sun goes down they become more active. I wouldn't recommend swimming in a place known to be inhabited by alligators. It's also wise to keep dogs and cats away from the shoreline of waters known to be inhabited by alligators. Most dogs and cats are about the size of the animals alligators prey on-raccoons, birds, fish, turtles, etc Stay away from any small alligators or nests because the female alligators can become extremely dangers when protecting their young. Also don't go trying to get a lost golf ball a golf course water trap. They love to hang out in places like that.

If you live on a freshwater or brackish water canal and have small children or pets I always recommend getting a fence as an extra precaution.

You can greatly reduce your chances of being attacked by an alligator by just using some common sense. Generally speaking, if you don't swim in the rivers or the water traps you should be pretty safe. If an alligator shows aggression toward human you can call Florida Fish & Game and they will remove it.

Then you have the Chinese Drywall. This certainly has been an issue. Most of the CDW was imported from Chine between 2001-2007. Hundreds of millions of sheets of Chinese drywall were imported from 2004 to 2006, but Chinese drywall has recently been found in homes built or remodeled as early as 2001. Chinese Drywall has been found in 30 states and the District of Columbia and is estimated to have been installed in over 100,000 homes in the United States. See Map. Unfortunately, this does not paint an accurate picture as most affected homes have a mixture of safe and tainted drywall.

The majority of Chinese drywall is 1/2", but not always. Here are some clues that the home has CDW. Does your home smell like rotten eggs or ammonia (sometimes a sweetish smell)? I've also been in homes where it smelled like raw sewage. Is it more noticeable when entering your home and then seems to dissipate? The level of odor varies greatly in each home as does each person’s ability to detect the odor. Of course, the strength of the odor also depends on how much drywall was used in the home. The home may not smell and still can be affected by CDW. In short, do not rely on your nose alone, particularly since many develop olfactory fatigue after being exposed to Chinese drywall.

Chinese drywall corrodes electrical wiring. Check the electrical receptacles in your walls to see if the wires are blackened. Pull off the electrical plate and look inside. Obviously, do not touch anything - you could get shocked. There should be a copper wire inside. The wires in this photo have been corroded from Chinese drywall. The breaker panel should also be checked. I've also seen plumbing fixtures that are pitted and if the A/C has been replaced and the home is relatively new-that's also a clue that the home may have Chinese Drywall. Some of the sheets of drywall are stamped Knauf or National Gypsum on the back.

Signs of an electrical problem include, a circuit breaker which frequently needs resetting without an apparent cause (particularly a GFCI or AFCI); lights that flicker without any apparent cause; bright flashes or sparks anywhere in your electrical system (this may indicate arcing conditions in the wiring); buzzing from electrical systems, switch plates, dimmers and outlet covers that are discolored from overheating; and a smell from overheating plastic. CDW was manufactured during the time that hurricane Charlie hit so even if your home is older it could be effected. I always recommend a home inspection

Moving on to the next concern I hear is hurricanes. Really a hurricane can hit anywhere in Florida. I think that the Miami and Key West have the highest possibility of a hurricane strike. You need to be prepared where ever you live. I am a native Floridian and have lived in or close by Sarasota county my whole life and have never evacuated, not to say that I wouldn't but I've never felt the need to.

Anywhere you live in the world you will be faced with some kind of natural disaster-tornadoes, typhoons, tidal waves, earthquakes, blizzards, etc. At least with hurricanes you will have advance notice before they hit. If you choose to leave you have the opportunity to do so. This is not the case with most other weather situations.

Since 1992 Hurricane Andrew, the Florida Building codes have been up graded in 1994, 1998, 2002, 2006 to deal with damage from wind. Even new manufactured homes are safer than site built homes pre-94 The newer the home since 94, the less insurance you will pay. Insurance for pre 94 homes is difficult to get/keep and you will pay a lot of money for coverage.

Some hurricanes are large and can cover the whole state, while some like 2004 Charley was an oversized tornado. Some years we have to watch for a dozen and other years only one or two. The hurricane season runs from June to November with the peak amount in September.

Here's a chart that shows the probability of a hurricane strike in each area:
Florida Hurricane Coastal Strike Probability

Hurricane strike probabilities are only statistical
estimates. Be prepared as storms approach.

This website is also pretty helpful-- Florida Hurricane Info

Another concern I hear is about sharks. I get asked quite a bit if I’ve ever seen a shark at the beach or if it’s dangerous to swim out at the beach. Fact is that since they have been keeping records on shark attacks there has never been a fatal shark attack from Bradenton to Naples. If you're talking shark attacks, the Atlantic side has far more attacks than the gulf side. One reason you get more attacks over there is the amount of surfers. Surfers mimic a wounded animal and in turn look like lunch to a hungry shark. Most of the sharks that are off the coast of New Smyrna are Tigers, Spinners, Bull, Reef and Blacktips. Ponce Inlet is specifically known to be pretty active with sharks. You really don't have that great surfing on the gulf side unless a storms brewing. The gulf side is also much warmer than the Atlantic side. http://www.underwatertimes.com/news....id=10863094725

New Smyrna Beach over in Volusia County on the Atlantic side is the "Shark Capital of the World" North America's top shark-attack beaches - USATODAY.com But you have more chance in winning the lottery than getting attacked by a shark. Map of Florida's Confirmed Unprovoked Shark Attacks

Next concern I hear is about the job market. Yeah it's pretty bad here. The unemployment rate is hovering somewhere around 12% right now. It's usually easier to find a job on the medical field then some other markets. The construction market is pretty tough right now. I would not suggest moving here without a job lined up.

There are some areas of town that are better than others which is pretty easy to figure out in the Sarasota area.

On the sex offender issue. I wouldn't say there are any more here than anywhere else. I just think we have a better system of keeping track of them. Which I think is a good thing. You can go here to check to see if any live in the neighborhood you are considering: http://offender.fdle.state.fl.us/off...yyt!-928531442

So, if you can live with the the bugs, the heat isn't an issue, aren't afraid of mosquitoes, snakes, sharks or gators, can prepare for hurricanes, have a stable job lined up, are willing to have your home inspected for CDW and can figure out where you want to live...you should be good to go

I can deal with bugs/animals and such. The things that are of concern before I take my plunge are as follows (in order of importance):

1. Job Market - I hear horror stories, and after doing an extensive search/research I would take a HUGE pay cut.

2. Housing - Making my 1st home purchase, and making sure I pick an area that accommodates my lifestyle.

3. Sex Offenders - For the obvious reasons.

Everything else I can deal with (never lived with gators and such, so that would prove to be "interesting".....lol). I had planned on heading down to Florida tonight, but unfortunately we have a family situation that needs for us to be close to home.

You are a walking encyclopedia, SoFlGal.Thanks for all the info you provide to us peeps who wish to make the move to The Sunshine State.

Old 11-19-2010, 09:03 PM

OK, it's good to see that some people are still here with me!

Yeah the job market is terrible. There's just no other way to state it. I'm sure Ladywithafan can attest to that since she was just out there pounding the pavement and found a job after a few months. Summerbabe, on your second point, if you haven't spent extensive time researching and you know exactly where you'd want to live---rent. There's nothing worse than buying a home and realizing a few months later that you like another area way better. And the sex offenders, well not much to say about that other than use the website and check things out.

Come on now! All you negative Nellies, worriers, etc. Here it is an open field. A whole thread of concerns. Let's get back into the 50% discussion and maybe add to it. I'm quite certain we could make it a few pages.

I'm sure people have many more concerns than my little list. Maybe we need to call Yoko from the Cape Coral board over here. I know she could add a few things to my list. Oh yeah, I forgot to include old drivers, snowbirds and lightning. On Siesta during season you could wait 30-45 minutes coming on and off the key in the morning and late afternoon because of the beach traffic. If there's an accident you should just hang it up, turn around and go home. The highway is only two lanes. It gets kind of aggravating.

Florida is the lightning capital of the world. Folks, if it starts lightning and you're golfing or at the beach, it's time to come in. And don't go hide under a tree and wait for the rains to end. That's probably the worst place to be during a lightning storm.

Speaking of beach. What about the stingrays and riptides or what about red tide? Well, I always recommend doing the "stingray shuffle" when entering the water. To do this you shuffle your feet along the sand instead of lifting your feet up and placing them down. The shuffling motion usually scares the stingrays off so you don't step on their poisonous barb. If you do happen to get stung, soak the area in hot water.

Rip tides are unusually strong currents that run perpendicular to the shore and can be very dangerous. If you're caught in one, don't panic or try to swim back to shore against the tide. Swim parallel to shore until you are out of the current or it has subsided, then return to shore.

Red tide is a naturally occurring algae that blooms and can kill marine life and cause respiratory irritations in humans. People with respiratory problems should avoid the beach when red tide is present.

Seriously, if anyone has any concerns I'm all ears and would be glad to try to answer them as I'm sure many others would.

Last edited by SoFLGal; 11-19-2010 at 10:01 PM..

Old 11-19-2010, 09:31 PM

153 posts, read 288,042 times
You think that's scary? C'mon up to Chicago and we can stand on the sidewalk, shovels in hand, and chat while the wind chill is -20. No, I don't like it, but I've done it for 45 years. Can't wait to get down there! D)

Old 11-19-2010, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnInChicago View Post
You think that's scary? C'mon up to Chicago and we can stand on the sidewalk, shovels in hand, and chat while the wind chill is -20. No, I don't like it, but I've done it for 45 years. Can't wait to get down there! D)
Now, that I could do without! When it drops below 70 I'm grabbing the winter coat. I've only seen snow once in my life and that was good enough for me. -20 that's damn cold

Maybe we could start a thread about worries we left behind. hmmm...

Old 11-20-2010, 05:29 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,370,302 times
I probably shouldn't be answering this thread because we're headed back to the beautiful northern tundra after 6 years of Florida life. I want to say, however, snakes, bugs, mosquitoes, alligators.. none of these were a concern. If you get sprayed quarterly then you'll see only dead bugs, and we only saw an occasional black racer snake, and any alligators seen were in their natural habitat. They don't exactly walk onto your patio. My complaint about Florida is the people. I know... you'll say, "People are from everywhere, how can you complain about the people," but maybe that's the problem. There's no sense of community, no let's all pull togetherness, there are either ice cold gated communities (in which I live) or the "Praise Be The Lord" cracker neighborhoods. Sex offenders are in every state, we haven't had a hurricane in Vero Beach in six years and before that I think it was 46 years! You can't walk into a house with Chinese drywall and not know it, the sulfur stink will knock you out, so I don't think this is a surprise either. For me, it's the people. You'll get cold calls where someone will want to talk bible at you, some people are outwardly racist and you'll hear comments you haven't heard since the 70s up north. The weather for half the year is heavenly and for the other half of the hear it's smarmy and you can smell everyone's deodorant failing and the last thing you'll want to do is shake anyone's hand. There's good and bad here but if you like people and you expect the same relationships you had somewhere else then don't come here.

Old 11-20-2010, 05:32 AM

2,360 posts, read 5,249,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verobeach View Post
I probably shouldn't be answering this thread because we're headed back to the beautiful northern tundra after 6 years of Florida life. I want to say, however, snakes, bugs, mosquitoes, alligators.. none of these were a concern. If you get sprayed quarterly then you'll see only dead bugs, and we only saw an occasional black racer snake, and any alligators seen were in their natural habitat. They don't exactly walk onto your patio. My complaint about Florida is the people. I know... you'll say, "People are from everywhere, how can you complain about the people," but maybe that's the problem. There's no sense of community, no let's all pull togetherness, there are either ice cold gated communities (in which I live) or the "Praise Be The Lord" cracker neighborhoods. Sex offenders are in every state, we haven't had a hurricane in Vero Beach in six years and before that I think it was 46 years! You can't walk into a house with Chinese drywall and not know it, the sulfur stink will knock you out, so I don't think this is a surprise either. For me, it's the people. You'll get cold calls where someone will want to talk bible at you, some people are outwardly racist and you'll hear comments you haven't heard since the 70s up north. The weather for half the year is heavenly and for the other half of the hear it's smarmy and you can smell everyone's deodorant failing and the last thing you'll want to do is shake anyone's hand. There's good and bad here but if you like people and you expect the same relationships you had somewhere else then don't come here.
You definatly hit the nail on the head there. It's completly understandable that a person who cant take temperatures any colder than 70 degrees would find nothing but positive things about living in Florida.

Old 11-20-2010, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nortport Jim View Post
So you had my post from yesterday deleted, you’re calling me names today, and you’re inviting me to repost my concerns and links? No thanks, I’ll pass.
That's not true. I guess you group yourself in the worrier category. Every single post you've posted on this board so far has been off topic or attacking someone (me). Since it seems you wanted to discuss the negative aspects of living in Florida, I thought I'd start a thread that pertains to that so every other thread doesn't get run off course. So, now you have an open forum/thread to discuss all your concerns and you decline. You're welcome to start your own thread if this one doesn't suit you.

Last edited by SoFLGal; 11-20-2010 at 05:54 AM..

Old 11-20-2010, 05:39 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,092,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nortport Jim View Post
So you had my post from yesterday deleted, you’re calling me names today, and you’re inviting me to repost my concerns and links? No thanks, I’ll pass.

Looks like another worthy and great post to ignore! Looks like you miss her discussions and now you are taunting to try to get some more. Sooooo obvious, a two year old could do it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area